Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Little dog, big voice

I usually get, "is she a long-haired chihuahua?" but I have actually been surprised with how many people in my small town ask if she is a papillon. I think half of the people I tell that too think I'm making up a breed or it's a mix or something.

I got asked if she was a border collie puppy once, but by a six year old girl, who probably wasn't too well-versed in breeds. At ten weeks, Cali was probably about the size of a two week old border collie, at the very most. I could see someone having mistaken her for one at the age, at least until they realized how small she actually was. She also got called a "barking cat" once and my guy friends tell me how she is a rat, and not an actual dog, all the time.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:30 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttkip View Post
For those joking about the Renaissance Bulldogs:

http://gargoylebulldogs.com/GARGOY~1/Omenx.html
Oh god the picture with the A-Frame is cracking me up because I can't figure out where he is going or where he came from.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Yeah... Well I had a lady exclaim, "What a cute Jack Russel!!!" at Keeva once. LMAO Other than that, some people argue that she's not a purebred (um guys, I have her pedigree in a folder at home? lol), even once a vet that came to tour my work and saw her playing. Or people who very helpfully announce, "That one has some corgi in her!" and I'm like, "OMG you might be right!!!" lol

Also had a woman at an AKC Rally trial insist Macky had to be some rarer breed of spaniel and not a mix. "Sussex? Field Spaniel! Welsh Springer?" WTF NO. She's a mutt!!! She does have strong spaniel type but she's not purebred. And also definitely part Golden.

Blossom... um yeah. People don't say anything because they assume GSD mix. Most people are overwhelmed by the word "Malinois" so I stick with Belgian Shepherd because then nobody goes, "What's THAT?!" They just nod. Have had a guy tell me about how you can't trust GSDs, they turn on you! Good thing I don't have a GSD. lol

Old 06-12-2013, 09:52 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintage View Post
People take one look at Circus and ask, "Blue heeler and...?" That's the ONLY guess I've gotten so far; I live in an area where there just isn't a wide variety of dog breeds, anything that isn't the typical pitbull/lab-mix or Chihuahua-mix garners a lot of attention.

Lugia gets a lot of interesting guesses, mostly Borzoi, greyhound, Saluki, one person even asked me if she was a Border collie x whippet -- I can kinda see why they'd think that!
I have been to your FB page for Lugia (love the name by the way ) & I don't know what your new puppy is but she is so cute it should be illegal

Old 06-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Silence, peasants.

When Wesley was a puppy, Wheaten Terrier. Now he is a goldendoodle/labradoodle. Drives me insane, even though it really shouldn't.

Feistea, ze Blog
Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 06-12-2013, 10:49 PM
overdogged

When Bean was a pup, I took him in to PetsMart. He was swooped down on by some young employee who crooned that Australian Shepherds are her FAVORITE breed and she just LOVES THEM SO MUCH.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that he was a Border Collie.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
German shepherd mostly, I let it go sometimes.
I've given up. When people tell me they like my German shepherd, I say thanks. :]
Old 06-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
I've given up. When people tell me they like my German shepherd, I say thanks. :]
LOL!! Same here.

The Weirdest thing happened to me at a street fair a few weeks back, a lady came up to me and started petting Fleetwood, and casually asked me "is he a golden retriever?"

I waited for the punch line, or something, but... She was dead serious.

Anyway, I get a lot of people telling me about how great their old Doberman or shepherd was, or just start taking guesses on what he is, and then they ask me "what do you think he's mixed with?".... And occasionally of people try to tell me that his "breeder" ripped me off and sold me a mixed breed. Because he's definitely a German shepherd mix.

One of the weirder guesses was border collie/Dalmatian.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 06-13-2013, 12:07 AM
Like a bat outa' hell

I am so excited to hear all the guesses I will get with Pup, pup. I should carry around a special prize for whoever actually gets it right. If that is ever going to happen, which is unlikely.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 06-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Love My Mutt <3

I think the best was when Renegade got pegged as a chihuahua terrier mix.

Everybody guessed Rosey as a German Shepherd Dog mix, which was right.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13