Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Twin 2

I get Catahoula ALL the time for both of mine, I think it's the most common guess. After that people think Cattle dog which I'm always confused by because usually the people that guess that have or know ACD's and can't tell that Cattle dogs aren't merle.

Other than that some of the repeats have been Greyhounds, whippets, JRT's, coyote and a lot of confused looks.

No one ever has argued with me really, I know people think I just made up the breed often but they don't push it. Honestly, usually people just pretend they know what I'm talking about and go "Oh, yeah."

OH! But I did have someone ask once if Traveler was a smooth BC at a trial and one person ask me if they were Kelpie mixes.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Zinga doesn't get guesses, she gets "what.. What is she?". I always thought she'd get mistaken for a smooth coat border, but she never does.
Because people don't know that BCs come in smooth. Seriously, if a BC is not rough-coated and black & white, nobody knows what it is. I got asked what this was when I was walking him around a dog show once (I showed him in obedience):

At an agility trial, I was asked what this dog was, and told he looked almost like a Staffordshire Bull Terrier:

At a weight pull, I was getting this dog out of the back of my truck, turned around with her tucked under one arm, and some guy passing by said "Oh, a Rottweiler!"

(to be fair, that weight pull was in the parking lot of a Wal-Mart)

I don't really expect people to recognize my dogs for what they are, but the options they come up with are sometimes very bizarre.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Mountain Dawg

People take one look at Circus and ask, "Blue heeler and...?" That's the ONLY guess I've gotten so far; I live in an area where there just isn't a wide variety of dog breeds, anything that isn't the typical pitbull/lab-mix or Chihuahua-mix garners a lot of attention.

Lugia gets a lot of interesting guesses, mostly Borzoi, greyhound, Saluki, one person even asked me if she was a Border collie x whippet -- I can kinda see why they'd think that!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:39 PM
I'm All Ears

The best two are still:

1. Sugar gliders.

2. Chinchillas

Yup that's what we think about that one.

DSC_1676 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

We get pomeranian and chihuahua quite a lot. After that the next most common guess is probably 'toy collie' or 'toy border collie'. Occasionally sheltie or cavalier. I get asked if they're designer dogs a LOT. What mix are they? I've gotten pekignese a few times. One lady argued and argued with me that they looked like shih tzu mixes. She would NOT let it go and kept acting like I was a moron. Because you know this is totally the same as my dogs:

I don't even bother correcting 'chihuahua' anymore unless people ask.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Top Dog

Except for when he was at that stage where Golden and yellow Lab puppies look very similar, every one pretty much knows what Caleb is. Well, except for the time some kids told me they had a Pitbull that looks just like mine.

BUT- something happened when I was a kid that has you ALL beat. Our tri colore Nubian goat was stomped on by my Dad's Quarter Horse. While we were sitting in the waiting room at the vet with the goat, someone asked us what kind of dog he was.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Twin 2

OH! I did forget that someone asked if Didgie was a pig when she was a rolly polly puppy.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:22 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
My boss has a "renaissance bull dog" or something like that. She's hairy and bulldoggy, but not built like Pip. I shall start calling her a hairy pitbull and see what her owner thinks!
I actually only started using it after I was walking him one day and a we came around a corner and startled a dude who said, WHOA, IT'S A LONG HAIRED PIT BULL as he was backing away in apparent horror.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
At a weight pull, I was getting this dog out of the back of my truck, turned around with her tucked under one arm, and some guy passing by said "Oh, a Rottweiler!"
That is the cutest face ever.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
My boss has a "renaissance bull dog" or something like that. She's hairy and bulldoggy, but not built like Pip. I shall start calling her a hairy pitbull and see what her owner thinks!
You totally should.

I miss her little underbite face.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:54 PM
LABRADERP!

For those joking about the Renaissance Bulldogs:

http://gargoylebulldogs.com/GARGOY~1/Omenx.html
10/01/2013
Gunslinger's Snowfall Banshee Scream "Takoda"
03/22/2010
Forever in my heart
Murray's Bojangles is High Rollin' "Beau"
11/03/2002-11/21/2013