Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 05-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Active Pup

Default Clipper blade question..

Im a bit confused by this. Do professional groomers NOT always use blade guards to get the desired length? Im under the impression that if you do not use a guard, regardless of blade size, you'll wind up with a short coat, or shave. If they do not use the guard (snap on comb), how do they get the length to stay on the coat...without scissoring?

Please fill me in on this.

Also, I read that blade guards are best used with a #40 - #50 blade, any truth in that?
Old 05-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Taco Dog

There are several different kinds of blades that we use. 3/4, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, etc... Guard blades are used to leave a pretty good length when only a small amount is to be taken off. 3/4, 4, and 5 don't take too much off when they are used. I use a #30 with a guard comb on Bichons.
And yes, guards are most commonly used with the larger # blades.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 05-15-2006, 04:16 PM
Active Pup

Default can anyone help me?

I need to know answers to these questions
1. what is the correct ear pattern for a cocker spaniel?
2. what blade do you use when scooping the eyes and the undercarriage of a dog
Old 05-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Lindsay

Talking

ericsbmx wrote -

I need to know answers to these questions
1. what is the correct ear pattern for a cocker spaniel?
2. what blade do you use when scooping the eyes and the undercarriage of a dog

When I clip a cocker spaniel I usually do it with a #7f or a #10 blade depending on the owners preference. When clipping the head I take the clippers down the ear about 1 inch and blend the longer hair in with thinning scissors. Quite often the whole ear needs to be clipped away due to extensive matting . Usually the ears should be long and flowing/matt free.

As far as scooping the eyes, what breed are you meaning?

You need to be careful when clipping the undercarriage and 'private' areas of a dog. Due to the thin hair on some dogs razor rash is possible. I try to keep to a #5f or a #7f blade, trimming the 'private' areas with scissors.

Hope this helps you!

Lindsay
www.snippetsgrooming.co.uk
Old 07-07-2006, 01:04 AM
Puppy Dog

Cocker ears are shaved a third of the way down. A good reference point is to pull the ear forward so the ear is lying against the muzzle, and shave down to the eye. ALWAYS use a #10 blade on ears, there is lots of little flaps and fine skin that can get caught in a larger blade. To scoop eyes and do the potty patch (sanitary areas) I always use a #10 blade as well. I would be uneasy using scissors or a larger around this area, too much fine skin to get caught up in larger blades But to each their own! I have known many a fine groomer that have entirely scissored this area or used a longer blade. IMHO, though, #10 blade all the way! Just be sure that the blade is cool when you press it against your wrist and don't run over the area a bunch of times.