Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-10-2013, 06:42 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Yeah and honestly for some reason I'm not really sure you'd enjoy a FCR or retriever lol. But on paper a good working retriever does pretty much fit your reqs.
Me either. lol The goldens seem to fit on paper and I really really do like them as dogs but for some reason they just feel so foreign compared to what I've had. For some reason the idea of a retriever is intimidating.

I do like poodles but their coat type is one that I can't really stand to touch. I know I said coat type didn't matter because I am finding I am outgrowing my disdain for bearded coats so I think I could 'get over' most any coat. I also don't like having to do professional grooming/shaving. I think if I ever got a poodle, it'd be a mini though. For some reason I like them better temperament-wise.

I will take a Siri, please.

English shepherds are very intriguing. I do know the bigger ones would be way too big for me. If I could get a Quinn or a Hudson.... yes please.

Summer is such a great combo but it seems relatively hard to find. Most dogs that fly as fast as she does on an agility course seem to be a lot more to handle off of it. She is like the easiest agility dog in the world. Never any worry about having to coach up her drive, will do anything for a tiny piece of cookie, never any worry about situational things upsetting her, always wanting to play, totally handler oriented, fast but also keeps her head, etc... Maybe I should just chalk it up to her being awesome. I do need to remind myself that when she was younger she wasn't quite as easy and was a bit more wild but always has been a good, even keeled, and bombproof little dog with a great work ethic.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:07 AM
BusterLove

First breed that popped up in my head was Koolie.

I truely think they suit a lot more people out there that just don't know they exist. (Not anyone on Chaz, everyone here has Koolies coming out their ears)

They were the first suggestion I made to my mother when she started looking for a new dog.

They tick all the points you made.

Size can vary. But a good Koolie will never be so big it looses too much athletiscm and all the little ones are true pocket rockets.

Extremely people friendly. Very much dog friendly but its not their highest priority (ie: if there is stock in said Koolies vicinity)

Poppy has excellent food and toy drive, and she's a total waterbaby.

She has (and has always had) a great offswitch. Something Quinn didn't really start developing until about 18 months of age.
Poppy can spend all night asleep and then when my mums gets home from nightduty at 7am she can go to bed with her all day and sleep.
Thats not to say she can stay so cool after a few days in a row of missing out on a decent amount of mental/physical stimulation but your not exactly someone that is inactive with their dogs anyway.

They are tough little things. Its one of the things that I admire about Poppy, all 14kg of her lean little self won't take no crap from no sheep, even if it 4 times her size.

For this reason it is important to develop impulse control.
Poppy is still learning that horses don't really equate to sheep, she's smart around them but sometimes her instincts get the better of her. I won't say a great deal of specific work has been done with her to work on this though.

Whether it is a breed trait or just a trait from this particular line/breeding but Poppy loves to be high up and on things. She was very young when she learned she could jump onto the kitchen bench, she moves through the loungeroom on the back of the furniture and several times she has jump onto a bench 2 or 3 times her height, often from a funny angle and onto an area holding multiple things she could knock/break and to echo Linds, she's almost catlike in how she lands and avoids everything.

Poppy I would probably describe as being a pretty "hard" dog when in drive but she can sometimes be ridiculously soft and sensitive when just hanging around the house.

The biggest downside I find, personally, is the barking but... well you've had shelties.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:53 AM
I'm All Ears

Koolies are a breed I really love on paper. I have seen one in real life But from afar and yeah... Not a great way to really get a feel for them. Wish one of the Chaz koolies lived nearby.

Honestly my only hang ups are the darn Merle x Merle and the Importing (where to even start?). I've loved the level of performance I've seen in videos. Wonder how hard to would be to find a puppy from a Merle x solid breeding? Maybe there will be some breeding programs in the US in four years? Nudge nudge.

I like their build/size better than Aussies.

Barking is a non issue. Shelties plus my two yapillons... Summer barked all class yesterday lol. Mia is probably more barky than my Shelties were.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Top Dog

I thought koolie right away too. mrose's description is dead on.

There are solid/merle breedings, and several breeders that will not breed merle/merle. Importing really isn't that difficult, I recommend going with a breeder who has done it before though as it can get a bit scrambly if they don't know what they are doing.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post

English shepherds are very intriguing. I do know the bigger ones would be way too big for me. If I could get a Quinn or a Hudson.... yes please.
you NEED one. I can find you a small(er) ES.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 06-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Koolies are a breed I really love on paper. I have seen one in real life But from afar and yeah... Not a great way to really get a feel for them. Wish one of the Chaz koolies lived nearby.

Honestly my only hang ups are the darn Merle x Merle and the Importing (where to even start?). I've loved the level of performance I've seen in videos. Wonder how hard to would be to find a puppy from a Merle x solid breeding? Maybe there will be some breeding programs in the US in four years? Nudge nudge.

I like their build/size better than Aussies.

Barking is a non issue. Shelties plus my two yapillons... Summer barked all class yesterday lol. Mia is probably more barky than my Shelties were.
I think there is a lot of Koolie hype around here right now, and coming from someone who has no interest in owning one ever, I could totally see you with a Koolie. Or rather, I could totally see you owning a Koolie, and LIKING it!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:52 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Honestly my only hang ups are the darn Merle x Merle and the Importing (where to even start?).
These and the overall lack of health testing are my hangups as well. Which is why I am just going to clone Traveler and have done.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 06-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
These and the overall lack of health testing are my hangups as well. Which is why I am just going to clone Traveler and have done.
Ugh. The lack of health testing is awful. Can't even offer a helpful suggestion on that one other than just wait until our dogs pass their health clearances?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:15 AM
I'm All Ears

Haha that time frame might work depending. I think Nextdog will be a shep from a certain breeder. May look for another dog once Summer retires and I am hoping she has another 3+ years of running.

It is good to hear that there are Merle x solid options out there. Health testing would be preferred but I would be open to not having it I think if I thought it was truly the right match and that was the only option.

There's finally getting to be some non akc options for running dogs in this area too.

I may have to poke you guys for some information. Any good reading links?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I think there is a lot of Koolie hype around here right now, and coming from someone who has no interest in owning one ever, I could totally see you with a Koolie. Or rather, I could totally see you owning a Koolie, and LIKING it!
Thanks! They definitely sound like a breed with a fabulous temperament that I think I'd enjoy a lot. Wish they were more common to get to meet some.

English shepherds are the same way but I worry a bit more that they may not be drivey enough.

Y'all all need to make road trips to Oklahoma.