Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 06-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

Default Limited Ingredient Diet Formulas?

I'm looking for a LID that has potatoes instead of grains. So, far I've found Wellness Simple...

Please say there are more?
Old 06-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Top Dog

Blue Buffalo Basics has a grain free turkey/potato.

Nature's Variety has grain free LID formulas, but they aren't made with potatoes.

Your better bet may be to figure out what you are trying exclude. Something labeled as an LID may have the same ingredients as another brand's salmon formula, or whatever.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:29 PM
Crazy Dog!

Simply Nourish has a LID formula. It's salmon and sweet potato. Simply Nourish is like the high end Petsmart brand.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Top Dog

Definitely. *puts on dog food nerd hat*

PureVita has three formulas (turkey, bison, or salmon) that are made with potatoes and peas.

Instinct has four formulas (duck, lamb, turkey, or rabbit) that are made with tapioca and peas.

Wellness has a salmon/potato and a turkey/potato in their Simple Solutions line.

Natural Balance has several LID formulas that are grain-free - duck/legume, duck/potato, rabbit/potato, bison/sweet potato, chicken/sweet potato, fish/sweet potato, and venison/sweet potato.

Blue makes a turkey/potato in their Basics line.

I know you said grain-free, but the Acana Singles line makes a duck formula and a lamb formula - both use oats, though.

My top choices would probably be PureVita, Instinct, or Acana (assuming the oats are okay), just personal preference.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:07 AM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Blue Buffalo Basics has a grain free turkey/potato.

Nature's Variety has grain free LID formulas, but they aren't made with potatoes.

Your better bet may be to figure out what you are trying exclude. Something labeled as an LID may have the same ingredients as another brand's salmon formula, or whatever.
Here a bit more detail on the no-no list -- the following are out:

Chicken
Turkey
Grains (of any kind)
Soy
Nuts
Dairy
Old 06-09-2013, 12:47 AM
Top Dog

I'm trying to look, Nature's Variety uses coconut oil...I know coconuts are off limits for my brother's nut allergy :/.

PureVita looks good. Natural Balance looks okay but they were bought by Del Monte I think. Orijen Six Fish.

Artemis has meat (bison, salmon, or duck) and garbanzo bean grain free formulas (called Osopure) that sound like it would meet your criteria.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Crazy Dog!

Still not the highest rated LID food, but it is available at Petsmart and it fits the bill as far as your no-no ingredients.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11394947
Old 06-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Top Dog

Instinct (either the lamb, duck, or rabbit) might still be a good bet - they use coconut oil, but typically dogs (and people!) that are allergic to nuts are not allergic to coconut oil.

PureVita (bison or salmon), Wellness Simple Solution (salmon), or Natural Balance (duck, rabbit, bison, fish, or venison) would all be options as well.

ETA: Have you considered a raw diet at all? Both Primal and Bravo offer single-source protein diets.

Last edited by JustaLilBitaLuck; 06-09-2013 at 11:50 AM.