Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-07-2013, 03:28 PM
& the Muttly Crew

She needs an adult Golden Ditzhund a.k.a. Kim.

Shelter Special FTW.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 06-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
PWD and Standard Schnauzer are both going to need grooming.

I guess really it depends on what is meant be "small animal friendly". Smaller retrievers (rollers) could work, if they just have to ignore smaller animals. Brittany and ES could work, though I'm not terribly sure on size.

ETA: I guess by ignore small animals, I mean like, just ignore in the cage. Or if they mean cats.
Cats and rabbits and sometimes guinea pigs. Teaching the dog to ignore the animals are fine. Nothing that wants to kill them.

Um... In terms of grooming.. Lots of brushing is fine. But no clipping or stripping (other than maybe a potty trim). Shedding and semi-long coats are fine too. Just no clipping.

Edit: I did think of some sporting dogs but from what I hear a lot of them like Brittanies and Vizslas can be very nervy and high strung and some are quite sensitive? I'm not sure as I haven't met that many, especially brittanies
Old 06-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Top Dog

A lower energy koolie fits!

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 06-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Top Dog

You know, I think a Collie would work. It's a bit out of the size requirement, but sometimes you can find a smaller bitch or something. They are active, generally people-pleasers, good with other animals. Pretty solid temperaments, from what I've seen.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Big Dog

I would suggest visiting an animal shelter to see if she falls in love with anything there.

A sheltie from performance lines might work for her, but might be a tad small.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Not a Border Collie

A female ES (males are larger and tend to have more bone) with the right temperament would work. Quinn for example is not cuddly nor very biddable, but she could probably find one that fit the bill.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 06-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Duuuuude.

I think the right Brittany would be great for her with a couple of caveats. I don't know about small critters - Rowan is great with cats in the house, but outside he definitely sees them as prey, and he is not good with rodents in or out of the house. I had rats when I first got him and there's no doubt in my mind that he would've eaten them if I'd let my guard down.

You would also need to be careful about the nerves. A good Brit should be sound, but I think they have a temperament that, when not well bred and/or well socialized, can lean toward the nervy side. Rowan is a rescue and is basically bombproof. In agility I could've put him right on the teeter and he would've been fine (I didn't, obviously, just in case! But he was NEVER bothered by the noise/feeling, even at the beginning.)

I also worry a bit about SA anxiety with them, but that is based on my experience with one dog, so YMMV, absolutely. Rowan has pretty bad SA.

But he is extremely food motivated (too much so, even), cuddly, active, people oriented (both with me & strangers), the right size/build/coat... so maybe something for her to look into

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff