Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-13-2005, 10:18 PM
Dog Spoiler

Default Jumping into arms

Have any of you trained your dogs to jump into your arms? I've seen dogs shows and they do that. I think it looks kool so I wanna teach my golden how to do it. Probably not a great idea considering he weighs about 90 pounds but im up for a training challenge.

So far I've taught him:
Jumping, Hugging, Shaking, Walking Upright, Sit, Stay

Want to teach him:
Jumping into arms, jumping into the pool, roll over, weave through legs, jump through hooped arms, and some more

any tips would be nice

-Jon
Old 02-13-2005, 10:40 PM
Felurian

My Mom had a little Terrier mix who did that, but we didn't teach her; she did it on her own. Sorry for not being more help.

Now, think about my Shiva jumping into a person's arms . . . that won't help you teach your dog either, but it should make you laugh!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-14-2005, 01:31 AM
Island dweller

LOL it does.

My mom had a cat that did that too. Not into her arms but into burping baby position. She has another cat now that does that too but not as often.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:49 PM
Dog Spoiler

I almost have him doing it but I dont think its such a good idea anymore. He tried to jump into my arms running full speed at me and I forgot how strong Boomer was. Knocked me down and knocked the wind out of me. Hurt like crazy while Boomer licked my face wondering why I was cringing.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:58 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Buck one of my SH's jumps into my arms. This was something he started doing on his own and I turned into a trick by giving him a treat to make him jump alittle harder at me to get enough force for me to catch him lol.

Sometimes like your incident with Boomer i will call Buck to have him run and jump into my arms and sometimes i won't have the best balance and down I go with old Buck hovering over me showering me with kisses and wagging his tail like crazy like he's saying " yay yay I think I won!!!!!!" lol.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 02-16-2005, 01:07 PM
Border Collies R' Us

Right, it's not a good idea. He's too big. There's no way you could catch him. Could hurt you or the dog. Some of my aussies do this, but you can't train them to. If they want to, they will. If not, they wont. That and aussies are A LOT smaller than Goldens.

A few of my Border COllies would like to do it, but I discourage it. They are just too big
Old 02-16-2005, 01:27 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I had a little dog that use to jump up and let me catch her..it was our "great"game. Then she tried it on my ex (who wasn't an ex at that time) and he didn't even try to catch her. She looked at him with total distrust after that...I should have taken my cue from her! Becareful catching a big dog..you can do some serious back problems that way..makes you bend the wrong direction and not enough time to brace yourself....speaking from experience!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:07 PM
Dog Spoiler

ya seriously, the damage has been done in one training session. i guess ill just teach him to weave through my legs.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:09 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Why don't you try and train Carry to jump into your arms?

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 02-17-2005, 12:57 AM
Dog Spoiler

I would but hes so stubborn and it can't be good for that long Dachshund spine of his to be taking that much stress. lol why is it big dogs are so gentle and little dogs are such jerks.