Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Also, he pees all over while sniffing, it's a natural part of the hunting process (or so I'm told) so it makes sense but its another habit to be aware of and proactive for. From what they say he never pees at home but walks and the arenas at work are fair game.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:46 PM
APBT crazy!

I love basset hounds a lot. They are awesome and full of personality!
Old 06-05-2013, 04:55 PM
love herds

Nothing really helpful to add, just that I used to jog the same trail near my old house as this guy who had a really nicely put together Basset. That dog could run for miles everyday and was sweet as can be.

"A dog of uncanny brain and great loving loyal heart and with a dancing sense of fun, a dog with a soul."- Albert Payson Terhune (lad)
Old 06-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Big Dog

My brother had a basset, was a very mellow, loving and sturdy dog, def not your fragile little foo foo dog [before I get pelted, I have a foo foo dog so by doggy dog law I am permitted to make fun]. My brother also had a room mate with one, but he was taken away by police and then turned over to humane society [someone reported him for starving his dog...why yes, I would do it again]. Downfalls that I can note, hard to train, housebreak and the bellowing was a bit annoying. But all breeds usually have quirks, long as you're aware and good with them...it's all good right?

Good luck on your journey!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Allons-y!

There's a basset that comes to Cricket's agility class - she's a rescue, and while probably a BYB product, is a very nice-looking dog. The working bassets posted look a lot like her. She can be a little hardheaded, but she's a great agility dog and a lot faster than you'd expect.

Emily &:
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Top Dog

Have you considered a 13 inch beagle? I think it would be easier to find a stable, working-bred beagle without health issues, and the personalities are really similar. I think a beagle might be slightly more trainable. I have a hound mix (likely beagle) and he is an awesome dog.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Top Dog

Just from my experience handling them at the clinic, I know they can be hard-headed as well as be big babies (I never had one NOT bay in distress over having nails clipped. Lol). The good news about the baying is that we live on almost 4 acres, and the majority if the homes in my neighborhood are on 1.25-1.75 acre lots, so our homes are not right up on each other. The bad news is that we have lots of possum, raccoons, and armadillos around thanks to my side if the street backing up to 300 acres of woods. We also get nightly visits from deer, a red fox, and a bobcat or two. So he'll have plenty to sniff and track.

And I YouTubed some Basset agility videos. What cracked me up was noticing how so many put their noses to the ground while running between obstacles as if sniffing out a trail. Lol
Old 06-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Have you considered a 13 inch beagle? I think it would be easier to find a stable, working-bred beagle without health issues, and the personalities are really similar. I think a beagle might be slightly more trainable. I have a hound mix (likely beagle) and he is an awesome dog.
Beagles are very, very common down here, but they're true working/hunting Beagles bred to hunting standards, so they don't look all cute and petite like the AKC show variety. And I have zero desire to deal with the high drive and activity level that comes with them. Give me a drivey APBT; at least they have somewhat of an off switch. None of the Beagles I've met, handled at the clinic, or hunted with have had off switches. They're notorious escape dogs in an effort to get out and track something.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Sloan and Ben, today.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Top Dog

Congratulations! So exciting!

My babysitter had one growing up and he was such a fun dog.
The only thing that might pose a problem is their exuberant greetings! The babysitter's dog knocked us over a number of times just from leaning into us for more pats, and would barrel into us after we called him for a treat!

Overall a great dog though!