Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
The artificial sweeteners are giving me headaches and I've been having bad stomachaches for days now.
One of the main reasons I quit doing "low carb." I was at the grocery store and realized what the low carbers wanted me to put in my body was artificial sweeteners, and what they DIDN'T want me to put in my body was a BANANA because it was too many carbs... nope... something was wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
When you say tacos and sandwiches what kind of bread and tortillas are you using?
For me, a sandwich now is just the layers of meat and other goodies without the bread. Breakfast sandwiches are two sausage patties with eggs and bacon between them. I eat sausages or bratwurst (the local Amish make some **** good cheddar brats!!) just by slicing them up and eating them, usually with a slice of pepperjack or something layered on top. I just got myself some ham last night and I'm going to basically make a sandwich roll-up.
For tortillas you can basically make a big flat fried egg and wrap your stuff up in the egg wrapper. Nom!

Gluten free packaged breads are typically loaded with sugar and the ones you make at home are often full of stuff that isn't really any better for me. But I have sworn that one day I'm just going to buy myself a sourdough gluten free sandwich roll and eat ALL THE SANDWICHES. Just one time haha.

I live by an 80-20 rule though mostly I'm pretty 100%. If I eat something that isn't "approved" I make a conscious decision to do so. Like I bought mini cupcakes for Payton's birthday and decided I wanted to eat one. It was not a OMG I FELL OF THE WAGON I RUINED EVERYTHING!! I just decided to eat one, even though I knew all the sugar and wheat in it would likely make my stomach hurt (and holy wow did it haha.) I never eat anything "bad" and then bemoan it later because I make sure EVERYTHING I eat I have decided to eat. Sort of like what Eddie said about being deliberate.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Top Dog

I eat tons of fruit and veggies. For me, it helps to go ahead and splurge a little on them because then I'll actually eat them. English cucumbers are about twice as expensive as a regular one, but they're twice as delicious, too. Bell peppers are $4/bag for the tiny ones, but potato chips are $3, and which would I rather eat? I don't try to cut carbs, but my boyfriend has been for a while (and is down 25lbs! His goal is to lose 100lbs by Christmas, so I think he's going to do it) and he doesn't use fake sweeteners at all; he just doesn't eat wheat, corn, added sugar, or rice. He does a lot of smoothies (with berries, banana, chocolate, greek yogurt--all kinds of stuff) because he likes sweets. He does lettuce wraps, and eats a lot of eggs. We both eat more veggies (in terms of volume) than anything else.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Top Dog

I recently bought these tortillas:
http://www.latortillafactory.com/products-3.aspx

You can get them at Costco. They don't taste as nice as a regular tortilla but they do the job. I tried making egg/cauliflower tortillas and was not impressed.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I'm doing weight watchers online, because I don't have the time or desire to micromanage my diet, and I want to be able to grab things and run. Plus there's 2 of us and we eat together and he like a lot of carbs and quite often cooks

I've always eaten good healthy meals, but I snack.

For me its more about planning ahead. Plan your menu for the day and stick to it. Factor in snacks for when you're hungry (I'm always hungry!!).

Eg. I make a bowl of sugar free jelly with grapes in it. Then get a bowl for a sweet fix. Its free (maybe choc full of other crap, but you can't build Rome in a day). I took my lunch today, usually I make a huuuuge salad. But I keep a stash of weight watchers meals for the days I just can't be bothered (everyone has those days).

Be realistic. Its not realistic to totally overhaul your diet in one go. I'd love to be all organic and no additives, but reality is that's not only very expensive, but I also have a hectic career and limited options where I can shop. It just isn't available to me. We don't even have a shop in our village LOL.

One step at a time! You can work on just recording what you eat, then look at what you can comfortably change.

Record what you eat!!! Whether you write it down or use a phone app (there's tons). Its an eye opener!

And the portion size thing is soooooo important. I know HOW to eat healthy, but doing ww and weighing stuff out has been a MASSIVE eye opener. I had no idea the portions I was eating were so big.

And TREAT YOURSELF. If you don't have a little of what you fancy now and then, you will probably be miserable. Just try and find healthier treats and make sure you account for them. And not every day

Will power is the biggest and hardest hurdle. That and there is SO MUCH unhealthy food out there vs healthy food. I missed breakfast this morning, and could I find anything nice to eat quickly from a shop? Naaa, its all crisps and snacks.

FYI, I don't count alcohol haha. Unless its a beer, that I rarely rarely touch anyway :P

I've lost 4lb in 2 weeks which I'm happy with. I've had bad days, I've had good days. I don't feel starved and I'm actually limiting my portions for the first time ever. Tea tonight was salmon fillet, new potatoes, corn cob, green beans and asparagus.

And EXERCISE. I've got soooooooooo lazy! And I hate exercise. Meh.

Good luck! Its not easy. I've had a terrible couple of days lol. I don't have tons to lose, but if I don't take control now, I will have tons to lose before long!!!!

Oh and never get into a relationship. Boys make you fat lol
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 06-05-2013, 02:07 PM
I'm All Ears

I'm overhauling my diet as we speak. I have successfully lost 50 lbs before so I know I can do it. But I fell off after my mom got sick and I lost access to he gym and moved into a house full of junk food and everyone brought us deserts when they made us dinner.

So here's what I'm doing so far.

1. No cokes at all. Ever. I read an article that compared meth mouths to people that drink lots of come. Talk about kick in the pants. I haven't gone cold turkey as far as sugary drinks go. I do a little bit of sparkling water and juice occasionally. I am trying to swith the juice out and add flavor with real fruit and such.

2. No bread/pasta. Or really very limited. I've had one sandwich on whole wheat in the last 2 weeks. Not low carb per say but def more fresh food. Lotta salads and meat and veggies.

3. One free meal a week. Go all out and don't feel guilty.

4. Eat a breakfast with protein.

5. Exercise. Starting small there. Today I ran 2 miles. I am going to lift weights tomorrow. When I lost weight I was working out 5-6 days a week.

Some simple meals I've had are taco salads. Spinach, avocado, ground beef/turkey, cilantro, salsa, peppers. Probably not a perfect meal but I don't cook well so I go to Sprouts and pick up one of their rotisserie chickens and make roast veggies with it. Some days I make baked sweet potatoes. No butter but drizzle some olive oil, salt and pepper. I love them.

I actually do eat at my cafeteria at work for lunch and some breakfasts. Like I said I don't cook and we have an all organic place downstairs. They have all nutritional stats right there. So yesterday I got a veggie and egg omelette for breakfast and then roast turkey green beans and squash for lunch. They have a killer salad bar I go to for lunch. You have to be careful to avoid the pasta salads and such. Favorite snack is frozen mangoes. Omg yummy.

So far i feel better overall. I think I can make more changes like cooking more for myself but baby steps are better than no steps. Whenever I try to chnge everything I fail.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm All Ears

Other things:

No sugar and creamer in my coffee. It is taking some getting used to for sure.

I am actually not focusing on how much I eat as opposed to what I eat. I find if I do both initially I fail and feel horrible because I do a 180 on my diet and also drastically cut calories. Once I get adjusted to the different types of food I will go from there.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I read an article that compared meth mouths to people that drink lots of come. Talk about kick in the pants.
sorry Laur but that's one of the best genuine typos I've seen in a while.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:27 PM
I'm All Ears

Omg. How did I not see that?!

Trying not to die laughing at work. Failing.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I think I can make more changes like cooking more for myself but baby steps are better than no steps.
http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011...a-decent-meal/
Stirfry! It's by and large how I live.

Also rolling ground meats into a ball and baking it.

also bacon.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Actual veggies, not other stuff masquerading as a veggie. Corn is a grain. Potatoes are legumes.
Curious, why are legumes bad for you? A Legume is simply a plant that can fix it's own nitrogen, therefore you don't have to fertilize as much with N. Beans, peas, peanuts, etc. Fact, never knew potatoes were a legume!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l