Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-04-2013, 06:38 PM
such sights to show you

Just like kids, not vaccinating puppies is all well and good when almost everyone else is doing it... but enough people drop out of the herd and we're going to see some parvo outbreaks. I think it's fairly inevitable that the pendulum will swing that far at some point in the next 5-10 years. Adults, whatever. But I am not a fan of not vaccinating puppies. Most of the time you're probably going to get away with it, but I don't feel there's a compelling enough reason not to. Different people comfortable with different risks, I guess.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Top Dog

There's no way I'd take a pup out with no vaccines in that age range. The odds that the maternal immunity has worn off in that age range is extremely high. I would just start the series when you get the puppy. Parvo and distemper are truly horrible diseases.

I agree with the comment that we're going to start seeing more of these as more people balk at vaccinating. There have been several recent parvo outbreaks already. Distemper isn't as common in domestic dogs, but there's a pool in wild animals, and as people decline to vaccinate, I can easily see it making a comeback.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:17 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Just like kids, not vaccinating puppies is all well and good when almost everyone else is doing it... but enough people drop out of the herd and we're going to see some parvo outbreaks. I think it's fairly inevitable that the pendulum will swing that far at some point in the next 5-10 years. Adults, whatever. But I am not a fan of not vaccinating puppies. Most of the time you're probably going to get away with it, but I don't feel there's a compelling enough reason not to. Different people comfortable with different risks, I guess.

Again, 100% agree with this. All of it.

It's easy to take for granted how well vaccines work; especially when most people or dogs out there are probably vaccinated.

But, there are alot of crazy diseases out there still.

I agree with limited vaccines, though. No cluster vax for me or mine. Some vaccines, like bordatella, I don't do.

I don't do that one because there are so many strains of it. Plus, most vets do the intranasal version and I've read that's far less effective then the shot.

There are some really strong opinions on this issue. I know there are risks to vaccines. I know that some dogs have had really bad reactions, as have people. But, on the whole, I feel that vaccines do more good them harm.

Also, as mentioned in a previous comment, I would not want to be the person who found out the hard way. Titers are all well and good, but antibodies CAN fluctuate with the environment especially if there is stress on the body or the mind.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
I think seeing a puppy go through parvo is what got me the most. I know there are a lot of unvaxed dogs that don't get parvo, I know if they get parvo and you rush them to the vet (while expensive) they have a decent survival rate.

But to risk putting MY puppy through ANY of that, simply bc I didn't vax before taking them out? So NOT worth the risk to me. I do minimal vax when they get older, but I don't mess with puppy and parvo.
This. I am very "minimally vaccine" but I think the puppy shots are SO important, particularly parvo.

I've never kept a puppy indoors until all shots are completed - but usually it's just visiting family, or in our yard, etc. I wouldn't be doing dog parks or pet stores right away, or where lots of other dogs have been.

I don't know why I'd wait personally. I'd get vaccinated earlier so the pup is more protected by the time you want to take out and about.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:59 PM
I'm All Ears

Yep I would not mess around with parvo.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

When I got Siri she had her first 2 sets, I think? I took her EVERYWHERE, but I didn't put her on the ground until she had her 3rd set. So she still was exposed to all those other things, just from my arms. She did meet lots of people, and dogs that I knew before she got her 3rd set though.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 06-04-2013, 08:41 PM
orange iguanas.

I wouldn't take a puppy out and about that has had NO vaccines.

I'm super careless about it and took Juno to the dog park and everywhere else before she had finished her puppy series. Whatever. I was not concerned about it then and still wouldn't be today. But I would have been much more careful if she had no vaccines on board already.

There's not really a high incidence of parvo in my area though, either, which of course is also a factor.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 06-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Big Dog

When I got Kris, my Doberman pup, she was 11 weeks old and had no shots. I gave her one right away and only took her for walks out in our fields where there are not usually any dogs. She had her second shot at 14 weeks and won't get another till a year from now, then no more shots.

I firmly believe in giving puppies their shots. You may luck out and have no problem but why take the risk?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiparty View Post
Again, 100% agree with this. All of it.

It's easy to take for granted how well vaccines work; especially when most people or dogs out there are probably vaccinated.

But, there are alot of crazy diseases out there still.

I agree with limited vaccines, though. No cluster vax for me or mine. Some vaccines, like bordatella, I don't do.

I don't do that one because there are so many strains of it. Plus, most vets do the intranasal version and I've read that's far less effective then the shot.

There are some really strong opinions on this issue. I know there are risks to vaccines. I know that some dogs have had really bad reactions, as have people. But, on the whole, I feel that vaccines do more good them harm.

Also, as mentioned in a previous comment, I would not want to be the person who found out the hard way. Titers are all well and good, but antibodies CAN fluctuate with the environment especially if there is stress on the body or the mind.
so you think the reason my dogs don't die from parvo is because everyone else vaccinates for it? I hate to break it to you, parvo is everywhere. My dogs are exposed from a very early age. Their titers prove it. I'm hardly alone.

people can think it's just luck or piggy backing off everyone else's "sacrifice" I tend to think my dogs are healthy for other reasons.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Ok. hypothetically if i get the pups first shot at a few days after bringing him home around 8 weeks would you be ok with taking the pup out camping, boating and going for walks. while keeping the pup away from strange dogs and areas dogs venture.

Socializing this dog is very important to me so I really don't want to keep the dog inside until he is fully vaccinated.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff