Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Aware

Default Favorite training treats?

I use mostly whatever is on hand, right now I have a little bit of ZiwiPeak and some grain free Wellness treats, I mix them with kibble. Occasionally I use hotdogs, cheese, and leftover chicken. What do you guys use?

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 06-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Big Dog

I use the salmon or rabbit Ziggy miniatures they have a strong smell and I've never met a dog that didn't adore them. Also sometimes use food rolls cut into chunks, foe the same reasos.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Top Dog

I use kibble in the house and for easy well trained behaviours in a distracting place etc.

For other rewards, I rarely use hot dogs or store bought, too expensive and full of preservatives (even the natural ones) etc. So I home bake liver, beef hearts, chicken & gibblets, soft salmon, chicken, tuna or sweet potato rewards and the dogs love them.
Another fav of the dogs is homemade sardine rewards

Helps that I am cheap lol, for the cost of one bag of store bought treats, I can make 6 months of good nutritional rewards in just a little bit of time (typically when the oven after I have cooked a meal for us) or I throw it in the crockpot

Or I take a bit of a beef roast or steak from our meals and chop it for dog rewards.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Faves here are Zukes and Starmark Every Flavour treats. We also sometimes do Crazy Dog treats - I like that the Crazy Dog treats now come in minis which means they are super tiny already and I don't have to cut them up, but their ingredients aren't my top faves.

Lately I've been picking some stuff up that is super cheap at TJ Maxx as long as it's corn and wheat free and the ingredients are good! One time they had a massive amount of Zukes for 50% or more than I could buy them elsewhere... I bought every bag they had. They've also two different brands that are made in Canada, I forget the names... mostly because I don't ever go to a particular store to buy them, I just see them while at TJ Maxx and go "Ah-ha!" and buy 'em. They sometimes have Durango Jerky Nubs too, I like those. I've struck out the last couple times I've gone in there though. I might be forced to actually pay full price for dog treats somewhere.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Sport Model Pug

Hot dogs, cheese, chicken necks, these pepperoni sticks I found at a raw pet food store, smoked tongue and heart pieces.

Lots o things lol.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 06-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Top Dog

Cat kibble, other brands of dog kibble, hot dogs, deli meats, store bought biscuits, organs, carrots, peas, apple, leftovers, homemade treats... I vary it a lot to keep her interested.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Lately I've been picking some stuff up that is super cheap at TJ Maxx as long as it's corn and wheat free and the ingredients are good! One time they had a massive amount of Zukes for 50% or more than I could buy them elsewhere... I bought every bag they had.
Yes!!! I bought all the ones Home Goods had when I found them. The giant bags were $5; it was awesome.

We use zukes in the house, string cheese on the road. Spray cheese is our jackpot treat. I can spray it all over the bottom of a tupperware and it takes a long time for her to get it all up.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Top Dog

Commercial dog treats... his FAVE is by far Cloud Star Buddy Biscuits (we get the grain-free soft ones). Super good smelling, easy to break up, low in fat.

High value rewards are either cheese, chicken, etc.

Oh and he really likes Bravo! freeze dried turkey bites. Low in fat as well and already in tiny tiny pieces.

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I am obsessed with the Soft and Chewy Buddy Buscuits by Cloud Star. Nice ingredients, Frodo can have them (HUGE plus!) and they stay moist. Plus, I can pull them apart easier than like, the Zukes.

They're not the cheapest though.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:43 PM
rotties are my kryptonite

I use hot dogs, string cheese, dehydrated liver, Zuke's, CharleeBears... Whatever's on hand. I am a hoarder of sample sized bags of dog & cat food, and often use that as well.

Like someone else mentioned, I'll use kibbles for around the house, easy work. Outside with more distractions, I'll use Zukes, BilJac, CharleeBears. When we're in class, I need to step it up and that's when I turn to hotdogs & string cheese.
my delicate little flower