Those of you who feed THK...

Saeleofu

What do you like about it? What do you dislike about it? How much do you feed.how big is your dog/how long does it last? What formula do you use? Do you mix anything with it (kibble, raw, etc.)? If you feed Preference, what do you use as your protein source? What differences do you notice in your dog when they eat THK vs kibble?

Logan LOVED the sample of Keen I just gave him. I have 80 samples total they sent me (and a t-shirt!) so I'm going to see if he likes the other formulas, too. As of right now, if I switch him to THK, I plan on either using Preference or Keen (or possibly some of the other cheaper formulas), and adding either raw meat, eggs, or kibble to it to make it stretch a little farther. Right now I have a $45 bag of kibble that lasts both dogs just under a month, but I don't have to buy joint supplements or fish oil for Logan anymore (since I get them though IAADP) so that frees up some funds there. I also get a 20% discount on THK if I order through their website (nobody local carries it anymore).

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I fed it for a while. The time to rehydrate and cost was the drawback. Plus it's messy and too low in fat for my dogs to maintain easily, if I remember correctly. I added raw to make up fat/protein insufficiencies but eventually just dropped THK and fed total raw before switching back to kibble after the move out of ease.

I still stuff it in kongs though when I get some for free. It's a great food.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Izzie wouldn't touch any of the flavours when I had samples of it.

Pug people complain that it makes poops MASSIVE for at least a little while if not always.

Plus I think it smells awful

Bristol and Gage will happily eat it, but they will eat anything I'm sure. Diesel will not tough it at all. Preference is a base for raw feeding, it has nothing but veggies so it must have a protein added to it, kibble will not work.

And it can be twice as much money to feed as well. By their propaganda it seems like it should be cheaper because they say makes x pounds of food, but you then the feeding instructions are all for before mixing. For example with Gage, he eats 4 cups of kibble a day, between the three of them a big bag of Acana lasts 3 weeks. By the feeding instructions on the box of Love
a 90lb dog of average activity should get 3 cups of the dry and 4.5 cups of water, umm Gage is 170lbs. We used it for vacation when camping rather then packing raw for them and it cost me a little over $100 for 10 days vs.65-90 for 3 weeks of kibble. It was almost twice as much as raw lmao.

If we just had tiny dogs then it would be ok.

SaraB

I feed it on road trips.

Generally about 3 days in the girls will refuse to eat it, Zip Tie chowed it down like there was no tomorrow but he was also a wee-puppy then. Their poops are HUGE on it and they pooped multiple times a day but then again I'm used to straight raw poops. So the poop is probably comparable to kibble poop.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I think the poop is worse than kibble. My main problem is that Summer refuses it after one or two meals. It also seems low in meat ime so I would prob put some ground meat in it.

Saeleofu

I can't do full raw due to lack of space. I have enough to feed Logan for about a week, so _'ll see if he continues to eat it. He's not been digging kibble lately and I'm mostly convinced his dandruff is dietary. Does anyone have any other alternative suggestions?

Logan's poop was fine this morning, but we're only one partial meal in.

Saeleofu

Logan actually does better on slightly lower protein food...but those foods tend to have a loy of extra stuff and grains that he may or may not possibly react to. I've tried him on high protein foods and I get poosplosions. 28 is about his max with few exceptions.

Members online

No members online now.