Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-03-2013, 08:56 AM
such sights to show you

I know a handful of people who call ALL dogs and/or cats exclusively by one pronoun or the other. The people I know are completely aware of it and acknowledge that they do it regardless of their pet's actual gender, though. Just a habit thing for some people, especially if they've always had one gender or the other.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I know a handful of people who call ALL dogs and/or cats exclusively by one pronoun or the other. The people I know are completely aware of it and acknowledge that they do it regardless of their pet's actual gender, though. Just a habit thing for some people, especially if they've always had one gender or the other.
I think that's pretty common. Unless I know otherwise, my natural default is to call a dog "he." Unless it's a toy or mini poodle in which case I always think "she."
Old 06-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

My dad has been calling Ollie "she" since they got him almost a year ago. The rest of us just gave up on correcting him.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
I never meant to say that people who do this are harming their dogs in some way, lol. I call Fable a long string of rude things that would get me modslapped if I shared some of them. xD
I just think it's weird, that's all. I just can't imagine not being sure that Millie and Fable are girls.
I didn't think you were saying that. :]

I think it's weird too; my dad knows Zoey's female, I just think he doesn't care much.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
I think it's weird too; my dad knows Zoey's female, I just think he doesn't care much.
Yeah some people just don't pay attention to their pronouns. I think it's that more so than not knowing the sex of the dog.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Never with their own pet, that kind of cracks me up.

But my grandma constantly refers to my boys as "she." No, Grandma... no.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Top Dog

I used to have mice and for whatever reason one of them just struck me as a "he." She was technically female and it might've been that the name I picked struck me as more masculine or something (her name was Muenster and her sister was Mozzarella), but I always used male pronouns when talking about this particular mouse. I've never done it with dogs, cats, horses, nor with any of my other small animals (I've had 5 mice total and only did this with the one). I'm not sure why I didn't just keep on correcting myself until it became a habit. I'm not sure why I considered her a "him" in my brain. Don't get me wrong. I knew this mouse was female - otherwise I'm sure I would have had many many mousey babies. But for whatever odd reason, in my head, she was a 'he.' Weird? Maybe.

I'd probably judge others who do that with their dogs... but then again, I'd be a bit of a hypocrite because poor little Muenster got called a boy her whole life. Somehow I don't think she noticed or minded.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 06-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
This.
It's more habit that anything lol my mom is like this.
Her MALE dog charlie is always being called she/her...we've stopped correcting her.
He sure doesn't care lol so oh well. SHE KNOWS he is a boy but I dunno at some point in his puppyhood lines got crossed and she thought he was a she and that was that lol
Old 06-03-2013, 10:17 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

Yep, I've noticed alot of people (esp. none-dog people) call all dogs "he" and all cats "she". Though I think the German language itself doesn't help generisation at all when it comes to cats & dogs.
"Der Hund" = The Dog. "Der" is male.
"Die Katze"= The cat. "Die" is female.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 AM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

I don't know anyone like that but I have people that I have known for years that have known my dogs for years that STILL called them by the wrong genders :/, I would be rich by now ifs had a dollar for every time someone ... Even those I knew even other dog people I knew called Izze a boy.