Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Duuuuude.

Default Intact female dogs?

The intact male dogs thread got me thinking. I have been reading a lot about the effects of early s/n and would like to wait until future puppy is mature to alter. If I get a male I'd probably leave him intact indefinitely, but I'm really thinking a female is going to be better with my boys. I've never had a female, period, much less an unaltered female. How do they differ from spayed females? I've been around a lot of spayed girls and zero intact bitches so I'm curious. I think I would still probably spay once she's done growing because the thought of pyometra scares the crap out if me, but I'm still researching it (along with alternative options like the procedure that Blossom had done - I'm on pain killers and the name is escaping me!)

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 06-02-2013, 05:05 PM
I'm All Ears

Well.... they go into heat.

Really my intact females were all the exact same as they are now that they're spayed except when they were in heat. Nikki was a total floozie though in heat. And she also had a couple false pregnancies after her heat cycles too. She spent all her time in heat shoving her butt at Trey's face and trying to hump his head.

Summer was the opposite and she was a BITCH. Beau of course, was obnoxious about it but Summer just didn't want any of it and would attack him on site during her heat cycle.

Mia was spayed the youngest at 11 months. I wouldn't do that again. The rest were all 2+, Nikki was 6 and summer was 4.5 when spayed.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Exclamation

I can't remember how old Bodhi was when she was spayed, but think she had 2 heats.

Absolutely NO difference what so ever.

Except no heats (thank god).

It didn't calm her down at all, she never got lazy or fat or anything else. She was and is the same.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 06-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Top Dog

My Beagle was left intact until she was 4 years old, and the only thing that changed after her spay was no more heat (obviously) and she gained a crap ton of weight. Poor girl Her diet/exercise never changed, but she seemed to gain ten pounds within a few weeks of coming home. Her temperament didn't change whatsoever.

Carma will be kept intact, as I plan to show and compete with her. She's only 5 months old though, so I haven't had to deal with anything yet lol.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Enzo was no different after her spay. She was done at like, 2.5 years old I think.

Indy will be spay this summer. Enzo cycled maybe twice in those two and a half years. Indy cycles every four months. She's already had three heats since I got her last year. So she's being spayed.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Aussie Obssessed

Kechara had one heat cycle before she was spayed at around a year old. Lark is 20 months old and has only had one heat cycle so far, she went in the first time on Nov 28th of last year when she was just over 13 months and she hasn't had her second one yet.

Besides clear differences in simple temperament there is nothing different between them. Kechara has human aggression tendencies toward strangers but gets along with all dogs. Lark is very aloof with both strange humans and strange dogs but shows no signs of aggression whatsoever.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Emme Lou was left intact until she was three years old and honestly I see no difference in her behavior than a spayed dog other than she went into heat. She didn't even flag.

Now my past Westie Maddy was a b!tch, such a B!tch, she was left intact until the day she died. Now she would flag a lot and go into nesting, but honestly compared to Teagan I see no difference other than I noted above. And she was more of a B!tch to other female dogs than Teagan is. More DR. Teagan does have incontinence while being fed kibble because of her Spay at 6 months.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 06-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Pretty much just the heat cycle. The worst part of that is the bleeding. The **** panties. I don't really see a big personality change during their heat cycles.

Even if I didn't have an intact male I would prefer to not have an intact female. It's just annoying for me, and if you trial at all, the SURPRISE!! TOTALLY IN HEAT, NOW YOU CAN'T COMPETE, I MAKE IT RHYME, ALL THE TIME, DOES ANYBODY WANT A PEANUT sucks.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Rosey was intact her whole life... 16 1/2 years. I didn't really notice a difference between her and my aunt's spayed female, except that Rosey marked a LOT. Never inside, but outside? If we let her, she would mark all the things.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Silence, peasants.

I was totally going to make a thread like this, I want to keep the puppy intact for 2 heats/certain age depending. Carry on.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle