Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Top Dog

Default People whose dogs have been on Reconcile

Does the generic Prozac work as well? My vet said it does not, but she could just be trying to get me to buy the full priced version. Any first hand experiences?
Old 06-01-2013, 02:30 PM
such sights to show you

Honestly I've never prescribed the brand name, always generic. It's cheap as dirt at Target.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:40 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I've been told that some dogs do well on Reconcile, while they do not respond to the generic human Prozac.

I know of one dog at our clinic where this is true. They have to use Reconcile, or they see no effect.

I would say, try to generic. If it works, awesome. If it doesn't work, then you can take the next step and see if Reconcile does. If it doesn't, then go to a different drug entirely.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:54 PM
orange iguanas.

Juno is on human fluoxetine, because as mentioned already, super cheap at Target. Works awesome for her - I have nothing to compare it to because it's the only thing she's ever been on, but I'd try generic first personally.

We don't even have brand name at work.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 06-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Top Dog

Usually my vet prescribes generic. The only time he does brand name is if they need a chewable.

BUT...Gavroche responds to name-brand Soloxine and not generics, so I say it's plausible, but depends on the dog. He was on Fluoxetine (generic) over the winter and seemed to respond well. I've stopped it for the summer, and will start again in fall to see if he does his tooth-grinding thing this year or not.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:08 AM
Top Dog

I'm thinking she just wants me to by it at the clinic...
One of the other vets at the clinic had her dog on the generic form, but she switched her not long before she passed on (from a completely unrelated cause)

I think I'll tell her Monday that I'll try the generic first (we were going to have to order the larger dose anyway)
Old 06-02-2013, 07:27 AM
such sights to show you

And honestly, for most things I'd be using fluoxetine for... if the generic didn't work I'd switch to another generic like clomipramine and see if THAT worked before I'd change to the name brand Reconcile. It's just so ridiculously expensive.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:39 AM
Top Dog

Generic called in. It was a to-do though, as apparently the 10,20,and 40 mg capsules as well as the 10 mg tablets were on the list of $4 meds, but not the 20 mg tablets, which is what was called in. No one told the person calling in this, though, so at first it came to $200 I said no thank you, and (since they wouldn't let me opt for capsules without a new prescription) texted the vet, who checked out the list and called in for capsules. However, it counted as a new prescription, so they had no idea how long it would be to be filled. So I'm grabbing them tomorrow
Old 06-04-2013, 01:01 AM
Active Pup

up ph? ch? th?t
Ch? th?t d?t hÃ*ng nhé