Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-31-2013, 09:04 PM
such sights to show you

Well it sounds like you've got it all figured out, then. Carry on.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:04 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLeigh View Post
Maybe I'm just a tad sensitive tonight, but I find it a bit insulting that you think it's just a lack of patience? I have patience, but my heart tells me he's not happy and I'm struggling with that...

Frankly I wish with all my heart Minnie and Nuts had been outside 6 weeks ago, if they had I'd still have them... But it was cold and icy, not weather they would consider going out in
I'm sorry i insulted you i think with most people, who are doing this transition it's a lack of patience, because of the fuss the cat makes.. I understand you feel like he may not be happy with it, and that's true he probably isn't happy with it. He's an animal though and he can't make the choice, he would get over it if you chose to keep in indoors.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:07 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjecyca1 View Post
Any cat can be kept indoors, it's just whether or not the owner has the patience to deal with the cats antics
It's not the antics that is my issue, though it may be for some. It's the quality of life. Maybe you can supply your cat with equal amounts of enrichment, maybe your indoor cat is just as happy as my outdoor cat and maybe your cat will live ten extra years.

But I don't care about your cat. I care about mine and I care about what I think does right by them and us. Not you or your cats.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:08 PM
I'm All Ears

Joy is kept outside during the day in good weather and is 17 years old now... Has always been indoor/outdoors. She goes in at night in the garage. Spends her days on the porch or in the flower beds- I never see her far from the house.

I don't know that I'd want an outdoor cat because I worry so much about them. I worry even when Joy doesn't come right away and it only takes her a few minutes usually to come when called.

I think if he were mine, I'd try walking him or something like that first and then go from there. See how he takes to that kind of outdoor time then go from there.

Another reason I probably won't ever have a cat.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:09 PM
Behavior Nerd

What about a cat proof fenced area? Benefits of outside, but safer for the cat and wildlife. We did that with my parents' last cat and it literally saved his life since he was being beat up by other cats outside but would have stress related diarrhea if kept exclusively indoors.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:10 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
What about a cat proof fenced area? Benefits of outside, but safer for the cat and wildlife. We did that with my parents' last cat and it literally saved his life since he was being beat up by other cats outside but would have stress related diarrhea if kept exclusively indoors.
This is also another good idea, i haven't done it but i've seen some really nice out door "cat kennels"
Old 05-31-2013, 09:12 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
It's not the antics that is my issue, though it may be for some. It's the quality of life. Maybe you can supply your cat with equal amounts of enrichment, maybe your indoor cat is just as happy as my outdoor cat and maybe your cat will live ten extra years.

But I don't care about your cat. I care about mine and I care about what I think does right by them and us. Not you or your cats.
I don't expect you or anyone else to care about my cats, my cats aren't a menace to other people or animals outside of my home there is no reason for anyone outside of my home to care about what they are doing, because it doesn't effect them or the environment..
Old 05-31-2013, 09:21 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLeigh View Post
Again I'm not just rural but super rural!

That dot is my GPS, there's a farmhouse across the road, and one to the one side and that's it for a long, long ways!
This biggest thing I would pay attention to is those country roads. It seems that the roads that cars don't come down often and when they do it's faster seem to be a bigger danger to cats because they don't get used to avoiding it because cars are more seldom.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:21 PM
Behavior Nerd

http://catioshowcase.com/

^Resource for ideas for outdoor cat enclosures.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:24 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
http://catioshowcase.com/

^Resource for ideas for outdoor cat enclosures.
Some of those are REALLY nice ! ****, those cats are living the good life!!