Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-31-2013, 08:26 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Perfectly worded. This is exactly how I feel about the whole situation

Combine that with a total hatred of litter boxes and an ambivalence towards cats in general.. and I do believe the outdoor/indoor cat thing would most likely be my preference if I ever got saddled with a cat in the first place.
I will say the difference with my boys in the summer as far as litter goes is very nice! In the winter it's a daily chore, in the summer when they spent most of the daytime out, they rarely used it!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:35 PM
Puppy Dog

I just want to say your cat shouldn't be able to hang itself or hurt itself if you are supervising. I take my cats for walks and they love it, my cats live a happy life and are not deprived or "bored" with life in any way because they live inside. They get an appropriate amount of exercise and stimulation, they get a large amount of attention, and can enjoy the outside world without damaging the animals in it or themselves
Old 05-31-2013, 08:43 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjecyca1 View Post
I just want to say your cat shouldn't be able to hang itself or hurt itself if you are supervising. I take my cats for walks and they love it, my cats live a happy life and are not deprived or "bored" with life in any way because they live inside. They get an appropriate amount of exercise and stimulation, they get a large amount of attention, and can enjoy the outside world without damaging the animals in it or themselves
That's nice for your cats. My cats don't roam outdoors, either, and live happily indoors.

But my cats and your cats are not ALL cats.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:43 PM
Top Dog

I don't care for people keeping cats outdoors. You gotta do what you gotta do, but I don't love it. My cats are indoor, period. We have a couple door dashers and it is easily managed by being aware.

I work for a pet and farm store, we carry rodent poisons, repellents, traps, etc. You have no idea how many people try to keep cats out of their gardens or yards, and what some people do to them. We even have a cat that comes over and sits outside the fence and the dogs want to eat it, they run the fence and go crazy. It's really obnoxious, actually, I wish they would just keep her in.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:45 PM
Aware

I did not mean a leash or a tie out unsupervised.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 05-31-2013, 08:47 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

I'm fairly positive that the time I could give him would not be enough to satisfy him... I mean I'm willing to try but honestly I can't imagine him being satisfied with a walk or some supervised time outside, and wildlife here that my guys disposed of consisted almost entirely of mice and moles, the odd chipmunk who all are nuisances no matter how cute they are, and a swallow or two that while not a nuisance are not much affected here if their numbers are any indication...

I guess to me it really comes down to looking at it on a personal level... If at my age someone came along and tried to limit my freedom from what I was used to, even for my own safety, I can't see myself being very happy about it... If I'd been that way from the start, and never knew any different that's another story....

And my location is such, that the dangers are limited, I talked to our neighbor tonight and he has several barn cats in double digits, his are Mostly S/N by his vet and he's lost more cats to getting hurt by a cow over the years than anything else... He also said he never saw my boys over there in all the years I had them...

I don't know, I'm so torn, indoor/ outdoor is the norm around here, for sure, and it's how I was raised as well... And I may be sticking my head in the sand but I just can't see how one chubby fixed male cat, who is fed everyday and home every night can do much damage?

Again I'm not just rural but super rural!

That dot is my GPS, there's a farmhouse across the road, and one to the one side and that's it for a long, long ways!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:48 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
That's nice for your cats. My cats don't roam outdoors, either, and live happily indoors.

But my cats and your cats are not ALL cats.
Any cat can be kept indoors, it's just whether or not the owner has the patience to deal with the cats antics
Old 05-31-2013, 08:56 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Any cat can be kept indoors, it's just whether or not the owner has the patience to deal with the cats antics
I disagree. So do a lot of cats with stress-induced behavior problems that haven't been helped with environmental enrichment but have been helped by being allowed outdoors.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:57 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Maybe I'm just a tad sensitive tonight, but I find it a bit insulting that you think it's just a lack of patience? I have patience, but my heart tells me he's not happy and I'm struggling with that...

Frankly I wish with all my heart Minnie and Nuts had been outside 6 weeks ago, if they had I'd still have them... But it was cold and icy, not weather they would consider going out in
Old 05-31-2013, 09:02 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I disagree. So do a lot of cats with stress-induced behavior problems that haven't been helped with environmental enrichment but have been helped by being allowed outdoors.
I don't know what kind of problems you're talking about, i know cats put up a huge fuss when going from out doors to indoors, as i have brought stray cats into my home, and i have had them tear up my furniture and curtains, i have had them refuse to use the bathroom in the litter box, i have had cats throw all sorts of fits, but with time they get over it. I don't really think there is a cat who is going to throw a fit about it for years, you can allow your cat to go outside without risks to himself or the animals around him