Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-31-2013, 03:36 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
How is this different from a dog who cries and cries in a crate? You crate train the animal to be comfortable in whatever situation you put it in. Kennel, crate, house, bedroom--wherever you are confining the animal.

I'm biased, because my neighbors let their cats out and they poop and pee all over my deck/yard, sit on my deck and torment my dog, and bury their poop in my flower beds. Not to mention that it's scary to drive through my neighborhood at night because people's pets are darting across the street.

Cats are very different than dogs mentally. To be clear, I'm not saying they can't be trained. But they are not small dogs; the type and amount of mental stimulation they need is a lot different than dogs, and there are cats out there that are never really mentally healthy being indoors only IMO no matter how much environmental enrichment an owner does indoors.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:36 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

My last cat Goober was bad about door dashing. He would obsess about going outside and sit at the window and wail at times.

We moved to a decent size property with horses and in an area where everyone's cats are outside. Still, I kept trying to keep him as an indoor cat and he kept persisting to try and dash out the door.

Eventually I gave up and let him out. He still came in almost every night and spent most of the day and some nights hunting mice in the barn area or basking in the sun on the patio. It made me so nervous to have him outside, but it was the happiest I'd ever seen him. Mind you we didn't have neighbors super close and those that were nearby had outside cats as well.

When I moved from that place he had to be indoor again and that was absolute hell. He would scratch at the door and wail and wail. If you even walked near the door he was flip out and try to push past you to get to the door. We lived too close to busy roads though at the new place so I wouldn't risk it.

Eventually I couldn't take him being so miserable anymore so I gave him to my friend's brother back at the old place where he was living outside. He was happy again.

The sad part of the story is that he went outside one time and never returned. We think a coyote got him since there had been a lot of them poking around. Breaks my heart that he may have ended that way, but his last days he was enjoying life and not stuck indoors frantic about wanting to be outside.

That said, my opinion is that is really depends on where you live and the individual situation.

My current cat, Whiskey, is not allowed outside. I don't ever want him to be an outdoor cat. He shows interest in the outdoors, but so far hasn't attempted to escape to the world beyond our doors.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 05-31-2013, 04:31 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Cats are very different than dogs mentally. To be clear, I'm not saying they can't be trained. But they are not small dogs; the type and amount of mental stimulation they need is a lot different than dogs, and there are cats out there that are never really mentally healthy being indoors only IMO no matter how much environmental enrichment an owner does indoors.
That's what Minnie and Nuts were like, they were both originally barn cats and while they never went out in the rain or snow (they seemed to prefer the dry warmth of the house!) they were never happy unless they got to do some mousing and have free time in the summer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post

I'm biased, because my neighbors let their cats out and they poop and pee all over my deck/yard, sit on my deck and torment my dog, and bury their poop in my flower beds. Not to mention that it's scary to drive through my neighborhood at night because people's pets are darting across the street.
That is absolutely not an issue here, we live on 400 acres and the two farms near us are larger, we literally have two neighbors for at least a mile on each side of us...
Old 05-31-2013, 04:50 PM
Top Dog

I think allowing a cat outdoors greatly enhances its quality of life in most cases. I totally agree they are different than dogs mentally... makes sense, because while cats have been domesticated a long time, confining them to something the size of a house or apartment is a fairly recent trend (I think). They just aren't as focused as a dog. You can keep an active dog in a house 22 hours a day and for 2 hours heavily exercise it, and it usually works. You can't really do that with a cat, I don't think. In general, they work on their own schedule, aren't as focused as a dog and aren't as easy to motivate, aren't as thrilled by humans.

I think the quality of life of a dog would be increased if they were allowed to roam, but unfortunately it's impractical because most dogs are relatively large, can be dangerous, tend to be more outgoing, more active, and tend to roam further. Most cats just explore around their home base, saunter and sleep (with an intermittent burst of tree-attack crazy).

Personally, I'd ask your neighbors if they've had cats and if so, how old are they/how long they lived/what killed them.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLeigh View Post
That is absolutely not an issue here, we live on 400 acres and the two farms near us are larger, we literally have two neighbors for at least a mile on each side of us...
You might want to rethink this. Free roaming cats can have ranges in excess of 1 sq mile. On a homesteading forum I frequent, the number one cause of SSS of neighboring cats is because they pick fights with those that live on the farm. Also what if they are conservation minded hunters trying to build or maintain small game populations. I don't care if I have 400,000 acres, in my mind that land is for the native wildlife and your nonnative invasive predator is NOT welcome. I might be polite & indirect at first by explaining how dumped & free roaming cats were destroying the resident wildlife AND how I had to go about getting rid of them.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:06 PM
Top Dog

I've never heard of a well taken care of altered cat roaming 1 square mile. They tend to stay well within 1000 feet of the house IME, more like within half that. As far pet cats destroying wildlife populations... in most cases I don't buy it. Feral and semi-feral cat populations, yes. 1-3 cats per residence in a very rural area... no. At least not in the vast majority of cases.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:23 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
You might want to rethink this. Free roaming cats can have ranges in excess of 1 sq mile. On a homesteading forum I frequent, the number one cause of SSS of neighboring cats is because they pick fights with those that live on the farm. Also what if they are conservation minded hunters trying to build or maintain small game populations. I don't care if I have 400,000 acres, in my mind that land is for the native wildlife and your nonnative invasive predator is NOT welcome. I might be polite & indirect at first by explaining how dumped & free roaming cats were destroying the resident wildlife AND how I had to go about getting rid of them.
Well, maybe but I've never been able to go outside and not call Minnie and Nuts to me, and other than mice and chipmunks here the coyotes have done in most small game all on their own...

What neighbors I do have are active Dairy farms with barn cats, and it, frankly was being inside that took my boys away from me....
Old 05-31-2013, 05:25 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
I've never heard of a well taken care of altered cat roaming 1 square mile. They tend to stay well within 1000 feet of the house IME, more like within half that. As far pet cats destroying wildlife populations... in most cases I don't buy it. Feral and semi-feral cat populations, yes. 1-3 cats per residence in a very rural area... no. At least not in the vast majority of cases.
If you have information that states cats aren't causing a lot of damage to the u.s. wildlife population please share, most of the studies suggest that the animals have a great impact in both rural and suburban areas.
There are A LOT of in depth studies on it
http://www.readcube.com/articles/10.1038/ncomms2380
http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/...et_al_2013.pdf
http://web1.cnre.vt.edu/extension/fi...amage/Cats.pdf
http://www.wildthingssanctuary.org/cats--wildlife.html

For every one cat that is kept indoors, hundreds of native wild animals lives are saved.Some individual cats take an astonishing amount of lives per year.

Last edited by Adjecyca1; 05-31-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:03 PM
Top Dog

Our cat got over it, took awhile, but he lived...he's 19 now... In retrospect may e we should have let him out! Lol

I honestly see what my friend goes through with her indoor/outdoor cat and ill listen to the wailing over the multiple vet bills personally.

And one of ours is a Siamese mix, who was terrified of outside, until our son decided he needed to leash train him...now he wails if he wants out. Our neighbours can hear him inside their place.

Would it be possible to build a cat enclosure for your cat? That way they get to be outside, but are safe.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:06 PM
Love My Mutt <3

How are you not getting caught in moderation with all the links?

/off topic

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13