Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-31-2013, 03:48 PM
Top Dog

Default Letting cats free Roam outside

I am starting to think I'm going to have to let Boozer out, he was supposedly an inside cat... I don't believe it .....

He cries at the door incessantly, trips us up when we're trying to go in/out... Spends hours in the window literally wailing......

I worry about Coyotes here but am starting to feel very bad for him, his quality of life reminds me of being in jail!!!
Old 05-31-2013, 04:00 PM
Puppy Dog

If you choose to let him outdoors that is your choice as long as you are aware of the potential risks to both your cat and the environment. I personally will never allow my cats out doors anymore. I have brought stray cats into the home. And as much as they fussed about going outside I never gave in.it can be done if you have the patience and the tolerance.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:00 PM
such sights to show you

You know, they're physically safer indoors and many cats are perfectly happy indoors, but I think some cats just really sort of go insane indoors-only.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:05 PM
Puppy Dog

Oh and by the way with my cats it helped the transition when I introduced them to a leash and harness they are still able to go out but supervised and leashed
Old 05-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Pretty much what sass said.

Would I do it personally? No. Because I don't see the point of having a cat if it is an outdoors cat. (Or rather, what I think of when people say outdoors cat) Also the risk of coyotes, dogs and the heat. It is going to be a killer summer as it is.

Do I judge other people for doing it? Nah. I do things other people wouldn't do when it comes to my pets and, honestly, I have enough to worry about without worrying about judging other people.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Top Dog

Sass that's what I'm worried about, he's around 4, If he's never been constrained to indoor only it seems to me it would be alot like placing us in jail... Sure it's safer, but not very happy....

I also would rather get him used to a schedule, I fed Nuts and Minnie at night so they always came in around dark looking for food... Then have him door dash to freedom and never return...

We don't have to worry about neighbors flower beds and such, as we only have a farm across from us, beside us an no other neighbors for miles
Old 05-31-2013, 04:07 PM
Top Dog

How is this different from a dog who cries and cries in a crate? You crate train the animal to be comfortable in whatever situation you put it in. Kennel, crate, house, bedroom--wherever you are confining the animal.

I'm biased, because my neighbors let their cats out and they poop and pee all over my deck/yard, sit on my deck and torment my dog, and bury their poop in my flower beds. Not to mention that it's scary to drive through my neighborhood at night because people's pets are darting across the street.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:10 PM
Sit! Good dog.

It's the normal thing to do here. Not many cats are indoors.

I can't help but feel sorry for some cats who need to be outside. My parents tried to make their Bengal an indoor cat. Did. Not. Work. If anyone has ever lived with a loud and persistent Bengal they will understand.

Even my blind cat goes outside

Buuuuuuut we don't have coyotes etc etc etc. worst we have is dogs and foxes. And cars.

It's entirely up to you what you do. I would worry a LOT if I lived near a main road. I've seen 2 dead cats recently on the road near me (never saw this growing up, but it's rural here, and the main road is very busy, and I suspect cats aren't so much pets here in the farms).

Roads and cat = bad news.

Eta, and FYI, my blind cat doesn't live with me anymore, she stays with my parents, and they live on a special wooden lodge park place, surrounded by not very much no roads, and no fear of foxes etc, she goes out briefly when they're home then comes in

I don't agree with cats LIVING outdoors. When I say they go out, they go out when owners are home, or have a cat flap so they can come in when they want (and usually locked at night ).
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-31-2013, 04:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
How is this different from a dog who cries and cries in a crate? You crate train the animal to be comfortable in whatever situation you put it in. Kennel, crate, house, bedroom--wherever you are confining the animal.

I'm biased, because my neighbors let their cats out and they poop and pee all over my deck/yard, sit on my deck and torment my dog, and bury their poop in my flower beds. Not to mention that it's scary to drive through my neighborhood at night because people's pets are darting across the street.
This

If I lived out with fewer neighbors and more land I would consider it knowing tr risks involved. However I think it's very rude to do in most urban and suburban settings (and I LOVE cats).
Old 05-31-2013, 04:15 PM
Puppy Dog

Just make sure you thoroughly evaluate whether or not you are sure you want to let him out, and that you are fully ready to accept all risks not only to your cat but other species, as domestic cats are hurting the environment. If you are more persistent than your cat, and if you have patience you can keep him indoors, and allow him an outlet that consists of leashed walks
http://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedailyv...he_environment

http://blog.nwf.org/2011/03/new-stud...ther-wildlife/