Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-31-2013, 09:59 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I've had vets push science diet and royal canin on my dogs... especially on Cricket because she has food allergies. Annoying to me.

I also get the raised eyebrows with Whiskey when they ask what he is eating and I mention he is on a raw diet because germs and bacteria.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 05-31-2013, 10:49 PM
Obey the Toad.

Other than my vet not being a fan of raw, not really. The vet did recommend a prescription diet for the cats, which they are on. Our bird vets push Harrison's, which is a high quality bird "kibble," but my 2 boys solidly refuse to touch it, so we have them on a slightly lower but still good quality food.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:33 PM
orange iguanas.

Yeah we don't push foods unless there's a reason an animal would need an Rx diet or something. Otherwise we don't tell people what to feed. The only exception, of course, is when people feed raw... then they usually get told they should try cooking it, and going to balanceit.com so that they do it properly.

I am a huge food snob when it involves my own pets, but when clients want my opinion and ask me if I think it's okay that their dog eats Purina? I don't really have a problem telling them that it's fine to stick with that if they think their dog is doing well with it. And that's how our vets are too - we are supposed to ask everyone what food they feed, but we don't make suggestions unless it seems warranted (ie, chronic diarrhea/vomiting, allergies etc).

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 06-01-2013, 12:36 AM
Top Dog

I haven't had anyone lecture me on food, ever (and I've been to a million vets). Except for recommending a prescription diet which was warranted. Shrug. My dogs are at reasonable weights and have healthy coats, I don't think they have any reason to lecture.

The vet I'm going to now, no one had any idea what Fromm was though.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Love My Mutt <3

CD;2273251]I haven't had anyone lecture me on food, ever (and I've been to a million vets). Except for recommending a prescription diet which was warranted. Shrug. My dogs are at reasonable weights and have healthy coats, I don't think they have any reason to lecture.

The vet I'm going to now, no one had any idea what Fromm was though.[/QUOTE]

Yah, it always amazes me the stories people say about vets pushing things (food, vaccines, speuter...). I'm always sitting here thinking "where does everybody find these vets?!"

The receptionists/vet techs at my back up clinic... None of them believed Fromm was a name of a pet food. So on file, under food, they just have "mix of expensive grain free cat kibbles". LOL i wasnt going to fight that

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Irritate with Caution!!

This was the first time for me, in all my years, and I wasn't pleased....

My dogs have always been in great shape too? I'm not sure why she felt the need, young and likely been taught what she was saying was right?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Top Dog

I've never had a vet push anything on me either, except for one vet who was really into the Lepto vaccine. Having said that, the vet I use now sells Orijen and Sojos, so I think we are on the same general page as far as nutrition. I actually haven't broached the vaccine stuff with her yet. I normally ask about it before I even take any dogs in, but I started using her because she does a lot of rehab stuff and Gusto was injured. I liked her so much (and needed to not be using the vet I had been at) that I just had the dogs' records transferred over for everything.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:52 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Yeah we don't push foods unless there's a reason an animal would need an Rx diet or something. Otherwise we don't tell people what to feed. The only exception, of course, is when people feed raw... then they usually get told they should try cooking it, and going to balanceit.com so that they do it properly.

I am a huge food snob when it involves my own pets, but when clients want my opinion and ask me if I think it's okay that their dog eats Purina? I don't really have a problem telling them that it's fine to stick with that if they think their dog is doing well with it. And that's how our vets are too - we are supposed to ask everyone what food they feed, but we don't make suggestions unless it seems warranted (ie, chronic diarrhea/vomiting, allergies etc).
Quote:
I've honestly never encountered a vet pushing their food onto my healthy dog. I have zero problems with them recommending an RX food for a dog who may have a health issue though. Those foods help a LOT of dogs and they recommend them because they know they work. Vets in general don't really have time to research every brand out there and try and hope something works, so I see no issue with them recommending brands they know have proven to work in the past.
^ This and this.

We try to get people to switch to a "quality" dog food if they are feeding Beneful, Ol' Roy, etc. And by "quality", I mean that typically Iams/Pro Plan/Eukanuba is recommended.

The only time we try to push a rx food is when there is an animal having issues and it NEEDS an rx food. And the reason the prescription foods are pushed versus other foods is that the vets have experience with them, they are educated on them, and they have used them often enough to know they work, because they see the results they want.

I think the times a prescription food isn't necessarily needed is for allergies and weight loss, but unless the owner knows what exactly the dog needs and does all of the research needed to find the proper food for the dog, it is so much easier to just say, "Feed OM" or "Feed D/D", because the vet knows what is in the food and the can help the client develop a proper feeding plan.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 06-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Top Dog

Only time the vets ever pushed their food on us was when my cat developed lower urinary tract disease. Science Diet makes a special prescription food specifically for that, and since my cat is in the care of my mother who's not as resourceful as I am, and since he responded well to the food and seems to like it, I decided to let her keep buying it.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 06-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Big Dog

Ugh. Vets around here are ridiculous! My first 4 vets refused to listen when I told them not to talk nutrition with me (after multiple visits) even go as far as to tell me raw was slowly killing my dogs and to switch them to purina, because they had been around the longest and knew what they were doing (insert massive eye rolling on my part here lol) so I kept looking. Finally found a vet who is a raw advocate, but sells fromm, Merrick and zignature at their office. They also are knowledgeable about limited vaccine protocols and use a special rabies vaccine that is less likely to cause reactions, its free of some ingredient, I forget which exactly. I consider myself very very lucky to have found them