Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-26-2013, 12:36 AM
retriever crazy

Default targeting

how do you teach targeting with both the front paws and the back? laika only targets with her nose and im not sure how to teach her to use her paws

D.O.B 11/27/10
D.O.B 08/09/12
Old 05-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Top Dog

I always got front paws started by getting the dog to use them in play. I'd just rapidly slide and wiggle my hands on the ground around his paws until he tried to wack at my hand. You could also start by putting a treat under something low so he tries to use his paws to get it out, then reward as soon as he uses his paws. Once he gets that you want him using his paws you need to incorporate your hand in there (I always started targetting with my hands and could transfer to objects after, I'm sure you could start with an object though). Not sure about back paws though.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 05-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Glutton for Crazy

One way we start at work is we started with a phone book duct taped shut. You can either free shape it by standing in front of it with treats and waiting for any interest and to click and reward for. Then build the criteria to only clicking for paws. The other option is putting that phonebook between your feet while you sit at a chair. Most dogs will either crowd in or even jump on your jump. When then jump their front feet up you just stand and let them fall, as soon those paws hit the phone book click and reward. When that is secure you'll ditch the chair and back up.

There are other luring ways such as pointing until they "bother" the spot with their paws and you click and reward.

Back feet are best done, imo, free shaped OR by using pressure by walking into the dog until they take a step back and you click and reward. The problem with the second method is a lot of dogs become hyper reliant on the pressure.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.