Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Glutton for Crazy

That's about where B is on the solo work. With a spotter he's up but I think that's from body pressure. Alone he will try going around me a few times then front paws and streeeeeetching.

Our rebound on the lap is much, much better today. I rushed and tried it in a squat position on the wall and confused him, he ran under me repeatedly and them bounced in a release position (agility) on my stomach several times. We'll stick with the chair for a bit.

I plan to catch up on videos at lunch, I'm excited to see where everyone else is at!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Top Dog

Cohen is my trick dog inspiration! She's almost exactly the same size and pretty close in shape, so I figure anything she can do, Marsh can do.

We've started a back stall. I started by getting him jumping up and laying down on an ottoman, and worked so he offered it while I was kneeling, then crouched down. Once that was fluent I started luring him onto my back. He has nice form, his head's over my shoulder and he's laying down.

I really need to trim his back nails.

Today we transitioned off the ottoman to a dog bed about six inches thick. From here I think it's just a matter of building value until he offers it fluently.

I'm still crouched down, and every couple of reps I like to move around a little so he gets used to keeping his balance, and bailing safely if he has to.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:28 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raegan View Post
I really need to trim his back nails.
Ahahaha, I was thinking this morning, I wonder how many of us are scratched up and bruised from this stuff this weekend? LOL. I know my thighs are bruised and scratched from groin to knee and my back is super scratched up as well.
We are all crazy.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Behavior Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Ahahaha, I was thinking this morning, I wonder how many of us are scratched up and bruised from this stuff this weekend?
I was actually surprised that I didn't have more marks than this:

Still considering a vest tho...

Old 05-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I can't imagine you all doing this with big dogs, 10 pound Siri hurts when she is driving off my back.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Behavior Nerd

And because it's relevant to this discussion:

Dog Trainer or Victim?

Old 05-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Top Dog

We had a private lesson with Angela (video above) yesterday. One of my favorite moves from her is the front-load backstall. So she got us started on it yesterday. It was so much more difficult than I thought it was, to get my timing down. Here's Zinga's progress so far. I just need to fade the shoulder tap and we are all good!

Old 05-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
That's about where B is on the solo work. With a spotter he's up but I think that's from body pressure. Alone he will try going around me a few times then front paws and streeeeeetching.

Our rebound on the lap is much, much better today. I rushed and tried it in a squat position on the wall and confused him, he ran under me repeatedly and them bounced in a release position (agility) on my stomach several times. We'll stick with the chair for a bit.

I plan to catch up on videos at lunch, I'm excited to see where everyone else is at!
I did the same thing, I kept rushing out of the chair before they really got it. Well, Didgie. Traveler did better when I just skipped all the steps and hit my side and asked for him to jump at me.. But he's a freak.

With Didgie I did end up stalled at the chair spot for awhile but once she really got that things moved a lot quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Siri knows a dog catch, and we learned a back stall (bailing onto a couch) this morning. Video tonight when I have a cameraman.

I am LOVING all of these videos!!
Yay Siri!! I'm sure she loves the bounce! And it's great for her getting used to you grabbing at her. Can't wait for the video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I'm not going to video every single step, but I've gotten Maisy to the point where she is starting to hop her front paws onto my shoulders with a hand cue.

She still streeeeeettches her whole body and pretty much lays down on my back but I think she's getting the idea that I want her back feet up there, too. I'm slowly inching my own starting position away from the couch to make it physically more necessary for her to get her whole body up to follow the lure, so we'll see.

I think this won't be finished before the next trick starts but I'll keep working on it because who doesn't want a Maisy standing on their back? LOL.
Did you try stopping here and shaping it? I really notice when I try and lure this kind of stuff they just stretch like Maisy but when I back up and start marking for small increments they get it faster and try more things.

....would it be a trick thread if I didn't push shaping somewhere?

And I was just saying to Sara last night that I think we should do a revisit to this in like a month. That way all the dogs have had time to build core strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
We had a private lesson with Angela (video above) yesterday. One of my favorite moves from her is the front-load backstall. So she got us started on it yesterday. It was so much more difficult than I thought it was, to get my timing down. Here's Zinga's progress so far. I just need to fade the shoulder tap and we are all good!

That looks amazing! I love it and I'm impressed with the speed that you duck down.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Twin 2

So here's what I'm doing with Didgie and Traveler right now to get them comfortable in the foot stall and build the core muscle along with teaching all three of us to move with eachother.

I got rid of the bathmat as soon as I could since I dislike props and now think I'll stick here until they're both doing it comfortably and eagerly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihIIl78SN0I

End goal will be doing it in VFF since I loath normal shoes.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Top Dog

I love how careful Trav is. He's working really hard to stay up there!

Sekah, here's a quick video of Zuma's footstall sequence. We don't have a lot of space, so that out throw would normally be a bit further out, plus in a comp setting she's much more amped up.