Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 05-24-2013, 10:28 AM
Top Dog

Default Lost voice..part 2

It has been weeks & Zeus has seen a few different vets. He has not regained his voice. His bark is either the sound of a very tiny squeaky toy or just mouthing hot air with no sound at all. If yall remember my last post, I explained what led up to this.

Nothing can be found. It is suggested that the trauma from his screaming as he "hunted" that evening, to his vocal chords just outdid them. No damage can be seen on any xray or looking into his throat. He eats fine, drinks, acts as happy and healthy as he has ever been. Just lost his voice, and it looks like permanant!

Never heard of this before. Has anyone else? At least not w/out damage that can be seen..... His bark was that of a "bloodhound" it was an aweful, loud, horrible bark that'd send chills down your spine, and it is gone. Blessing>? Maybe, but I must be crazy, I wish it would come back for his sake!

He goes to show the 22 of next month. Gosh-hope he doesn't bark in front of anyone LOL!!!

Old 05-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Top Dog

My lab/beagle mix goes hoarse for a short time after he barks a lot. He sounds like a seal.

Glad he's not in pain or anything. There are people who pay good money to get their dogs debarked...you saved $$ and surgery!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

When Harlow was younger, she scratched her throat with some stuffing (stupid puppy) and she had some issues barking and such.. Did he maybe swallow something he shouldn't have?

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 05-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Show Dog

Glad to know all is well other than that.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Top Dog

No, well-who knows??? He eats everything-and has been to the vet several times for enemas and such, (and the removal of a tack from his anus!!!) We were in Ohio at the time for the passing of my mother in law so my son was in charge. But they say he barked right up until he got ahold of the feral cat. He screams when he goes after critters in the yard. He never catches them (squirrels, birds, etc) until this night in say. He caught the cat...and I will spare the details! He even barked that night, but the next morning his voice was gone. It has been a month now......I dont think it is coming back!!! I think he just screamed his vocal chords to dust!

Old 05-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Puppy Dog

Oh my goodness...blessing in disguise, lol. Don't feel too bad for him, maybe he thinks it sounds cool . So glad there isn't anything really wrong with him.

Proud Mum of a beautiful Lab girl, Mollie <3
Old 05-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabLover95 View Post
Oh my goodness...blessing in disguise, lol. Don't feel too bad for him, maybe he thinks it sounds cool . So glad there isn't anything really wrong with him.
LOL (:

Old 05-31-2013, 07:22 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1girl View Post
...Nothing can be found. It is suggested that the trauma from his screaming as he "hunted" that evening, to his vocal chords just outdid them. No damage can be seen on any xray or looking into his throat...
Was an endoscope done to look at his throat, or just an "open wide and take a look"? It sounds like laryngeal paralysis to me. Our old Lab developed it with age, but I've heard of it being brought on from constant barking.