Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Top Dog

I've met very few dals....unfortunately, as a child I saw them everywhere, 101 Dalmatians craze...and I know they were considered an unhealthy, difficult, aggressive breed. Thankfully that died off fast, and I very rarely see them around now.

The very few I've met that were well-bred seemed pretty awesome, though. I know they are a lot of dog for a typically family/children's pet, but I think if they are well-bred and well-socialized, there's no reason to think they aren't great with children - especially in the family. They can be a bit guardy, though, so you'd have to watch out if the dog upset with kids rough-housing or Katie squealing when playing with someone. I'd definitely very closely supervise if she had friends over.

The health problems are bad, but there is a lot of testing available in the breed, and I think healthy dals do have a pretty good, comfortable lifespan. They do need a lot of exercise. I've heard mixed things about how they are with other animals, but I do believe they are more prone to prey drive and DA than a lab or something. Certainly not like dobermans or some terriers or mastiff breeds, but something to keep an eye on, ask about the line's tolerance of other pets, and socialize properly.

I'm not sure they'd be my first choice for a child's dog, even if you want something a bit sharper, but they can make great family pets if you find the right one and handle it correctly.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Big Dog

Yeah, I hear that. I know in Cardigans, we see reactivity more then we'd like and I always warn people who are interested that's a possibility.

I did hear that some Dals were bred with pointers because of some kind of protein/kidney sensitivity; I'm not sure how that would affect a search for a dalmation, but I know the AKC allowed them to opn up their stud books.

I like the way the liver colored ones look.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:48 PM
BRT - "the black watch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
So Katie is obsessed with them. She has been for months and wants one. Now IF (big if in capital letters) she got one it wouldn't be for at LEAST a year. They seem like something I could live with. Katie (who would be 5 at the youngest) would be in charge of feeding and grooming the dog. She would do Jr handling with the dog. Possibly agility or something else she wanted to do. If not it would just be a good family pet. I like the coat, and the fact that they don't seem to be overly in your face friendly to strangers. I love the reserved Doberman temperament and I do not like the Lab temperament. Nothing against them just not me. I do want something safe in public and good with kids when raised with them and treated properly.

Just looking for peoples general experience with them and how they are with kids and other animals (not small like a ferret)

There is a breeder about a hour from me. Once I've done more research I will contact her to see if we can spend some time with the breed to really be sure.

When I say Katie will be responsible for the dog I mean it. Yes I am fully willing and capable to help or take over things she cant do, but she loves caring for animals and when I house sit she is always the one who does the feeding.
I wasn't going to chime in here as I'm certainly no expert on Dals. However, I've spent quite a bit of time with (very well-bred) Dals. Aside that, our very good friends have a pair and, when we get together, it's primarily doggy talk.

The "backcross" Dals were already mentioned. Assuming you're not going into conformation showing (as these guys don't do that well in the ring), this would be an excellent option as far as eliminating the urate stone issue!

As far as kids and other animals are concerned, they certainly can be good with them but, in our experience, they would not be anywhere near the top of the sociability list. If this is a concern, you should be extremely careful in choosing your lines, and very, very thorough in your socialization.

"Reactivity" was already brought up. Semantics being as limited as they are, "reactivity", "skittishness", "borderline instability" - these seem to be more common than one might hope, even with very well-bred dogs. This is not necessarily a deal-killer for many people, but something about which to be aware. This also ties back to the kids and other animals thing.

Things like energy level and their legendary shedding I won't comment on, as they seem to be common knowledge. But I will comment on the livers as, for many people, the appeal of this breed has much to do with aesthetics. The liver spots are often diluted in colour. Also, the white on the livers is quite a different shade than that of the black-spotted dogs. This may not show up in photos but, again, is something of which to be aware - if looks are an issue at all.

Best of luck in your search!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:40 PM
Original Twin

Liver Dals aren't a dilute...Nor have I noticed any difference between shades of white on black versus liver. Where did you find that information?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:17 PM
BRT - "the black watch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside View Post
Liver Dals aren't a dilute.
What I said was, "The liver spots are often diluted in colour" ...

meaning simply that there are those with (nice) dark, liver-coloured spots,
and those with much paler ("diluted") spots.

My guess is that, at conformation shows,
diluted spots are quite often "touched up".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside View Post
Where did you find that information?
I didn't "find" the information.
Just a simple observation of the Livers I've seen,
and subsequent asking the owners/breeders about it.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:41 AM
Top Dog

The white between a liver dal and a black dal is the same. What makes it look slightly different is the colored pigment. The darker a pigment the more white the white is going to look (for either a black or liver). As far as liver pigmenting, they have come a long way. Livers come in a wide range of pigmenting. Some are a very very dark chocolate brown, are have a reddish tint to them.
Mina as far as I know there isn't a whole lot of "touching" up at shows with the spotting. Yes some might fix a small spot of trim, but that occurs in both blacks and livers. Its a whole lot of work to fix or touch up the spotting on their coats. Especially if there is quite a few spotting.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:56 AM
BRT - "the black watch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsydals View Post
The white between a liver dal and a black dal is the same. What makes it look slightly different is the colored pigment. The darker a pigment the more white the white is going to look (for either a black or liver). As far as liver pigmenting, they have come a long way. Livers come in a wide range of pigmenting. Some are a very very dark chocolate brown, are have a reddish tint to them.
As far as livers are concerned, with one prominent local breeder, the white on her livers have, as I recall, a very slightly but distinctive orange tint, as opposed to the somewhat brighter, whiter appearance of her blacks. I had thought I'd noticed it prior with other lines, but thought, perhaps, it was just an optical illusion. In any event, good friends of ours own one of her liver stud dogs (as well as a black); the difference between the two whites is quite obvious. But perhaps this is limited to certain lines? In any event, I won't argue the point, especially with a Dal person .

And yes, there now seems to be a quite a spectrum of shades of "liver". Much of these colours appear quite dilute (to me, anyways).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsydals View Post
Mina as far as I know there isn't a whole lot of "touching" up at shows with the spotting. Yes some might fix a small spot of trim, but that occurs in both blacks and livers. Its a whole lot of work to fix or touch up the spotting on their coats. Especially if there is quite a few spotting.
As far as touching up is concerned - aside from the usual powdering of white coats, we've watched with some bemusement, handlers with entire (extensive) make-up kits, painstakingly painting and highlighting markings on their dogs (of various breeds). And although I don't recall witnessing this, specifically, with Dals, one would assume it happens with them, too?

As an aside to this, the "best" and most shocking was our first time at Westminster ...
After finishing showing, we watched as hair extensions (or "weaves" ... I wouldn't know the difference) were removed from several Poodles . But that has nothing to do with Dalmatians - just of the wonderful world of conformation shows.

In any event, apologies for steering this thread off-course.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mina View Post
As far as livers are concerned, with one prominent local breeder, the white on her livers have, as I recall, a very slightly but distinctive orange tint, as opposed to the somewhat brighter, whiter appearance of her blacks. I had thought I'd noticed it prior with other lines, but thought, perhaps, it was just an optical illusion. In any event, good friends of ours own one of her liver stud dogs (as well as a black); the difference between the two whites is quite obvious. But perhaps this is limited to certain lines? In any event, I won't argue the point, especially with a Dal person .

And yes, there now seems to be a quite a spectrum of shades of "liver". Much of these colours appear quite dilute (to me, anyways).

As far as touching up is concerned - aside from the usual powdering of white coats, we've watched with some bemusement, handlers with entire (extensive) make-up kits, painstakingly painting and highlighting markings on their dogs (of various breeds). And although I don't recall witnessing this, specifically, with Dals, one would assume it happens with them, too?

As an aside to this, the "best" and most shocking was our first time at Westminster ...
After finishing showing, we watched as hair extensions (or "weaves" ... I wouldn't know the difference) were removed from several Poodles . But that has nothing to do with Dalmatians - just of the wonderful world of conformation shows.

In any event, apologies for steering this thread off-course.

As far as how white a dog appears. I swear Ivans white glows in the dark. But I know its an optical illusion due to how black his black is. And its such a stark contrast to the white. Where as a white and liver dog, there isn't such a stark contrast. But looking at just the white hairs from each (shedded hairs) you can't tell whos is whos. Provided both dogs are clean. And yes I've done that comparison.
I know it happens in other breeds, but I just can't fathom why anyone would want to do that on a dal. And this is coming from someone who got bored one day. Decided to tidy up the spots on her dog. It is a WHOLE lot of work. And I didn't even get all done before I gave up.
Although it wouldn't surprise me if a handler where to do something like that. After all the more winning dogs they have the higher paycheck they get. For most of us though (in dals) its just not worth the time. For me, I wash Ivan, trim up some of his cowlicks and thats about it. No chalking involved (except incase hes got an ouchie).

Old 05-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Original Twin

There is a quite a variance in the shades of liver that are acceptable and show up. As far as the white variance, I have never noticed any difference beyond what Gyps has already pointed out. There was no difference in my dogs' white nor in my prospective breeder's. (Back when I still thought I was going to get another Dal in the future.)
Old 05-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Top Dog

Mina, can you do us all a favor and stop using dilute that way. Dilute has a specific meaning regarding color genetics and is what makes black dogs blue & brown dogs gray/silver. Instead could you please use terms like shaded or washed out? Not a huge deal but I'd appreciate it myself.