Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 06-09-2013, 07:20 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfox426 View Post
If I may ask, why did you select the breeds that you did? We can't quite decide what we would want. We are looking for a decent egg layer, but something pretty to look at as well. I'm interested to hear how you made your decisions on that matter.
I just went with a smattering of breeds the distributor had available that are known to be fairly easy going, good eggs layers, with somewhat heavier body types. I've only really had a lot of first-hand experience with silkies, RIR, and Barred Rock. The RIR seem to be more aggressive but maybe it's just the ones we had. Silkies are not what I was looking for in terms of size, etc., and Barred Rocks...well I just wanted something different lol.

I also tried to stay away from white birds since there are theories that they are more susceptible to hawks and such, being very easy to see from the sky. We have a lot of hawks here. One of the Brahmas is turning out to be more white than I expected, though, so I may have failed there.

Breeds I passed over at the distributor were leghorns, orpingtons, old english game, and several bantam breeds. I didn't want to get anything so lightweight that they are harder to keep contained. I will probably get Orps at some point but there's a breeder near here with really nice ones so I can always gets some from them.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13

Last edited by Shai; 06-09-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:37 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I just went with a smattering of breeds the distributor had available that are known to be fairly easy going, good eggs layers, with somewhat heavier body types. I've only really had a lot of first-hand experience with silkies, RIR, and Barred Rock. The RIR seem to be more aggressive but maybe it's just the ones we had. Silkies are not what I was looking for in terms of size, etc., and Barred Rocks...well I just wanted something different lol.

I also tried to stay away from white birds since there are theories that they are more susceptible to hawks and such, being very easy to see from the sky. We have a lot of hawks here. One of the Brahmas is turning out to be more white than I expected, though, so I may have failed there.

Breeds I passed over at the distributor were leghorns, orpingtons, old english game, and several bantam breeds. I didn't want to get anything so lightweight that they are harder to keep contained. I will probably get Orps at some point but there's a breeder near here with really nice ones so I can always gets some from them.
Thanks for the input.

Please keep sharing pictures!
Old 06-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Silence, peasants.

I love your chickens, I want chickens. I will live through your chicken-having.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 07-12-2013, 02:23 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Chicken update. They are living in an outdoor moveable pen with a shelter nowadays. I moved them into an expen today in an area of overgrown grass where we can't get a mower, in the hope that they would tear it down for me. So far, so good

They are about 3 months old.

Light Brahma in front, Australorp to the left and Gold-Laced Wyandotte to the right.

Buff Brahma tail feathers, with one of the Australorps

L-R There's one of the Gold-Laced Wyandotte, the Speckled Sussex, Black Australorp, Buff Brahma in front (she's my friendliest hen), the other GL Wyandotte behind, and Partridge rock there on the far right.

Buff Brahma, showing off again. Feet feathering visible this time.

Partridge Rock, making noise.

One of the GL Wyandottes. They have such a striking feather pattern.

Partridge Rock again. I really like her feather patterning too.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
Old 07-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Top Dog

They're lovely! I'm hankering after some gold laced wyandottes and black copper marans, but I can't find GLW anywhere! Only BLRW. I think GLW and buff laced or splash laced red are the prettiest. Your gold laced pullet looks awesome!!
Old 07-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Twin 2.0

They're really pretty! My grandma used to have chickens and she always had a really interesting assortment. She usually had some Guinea hens mixed in as well. Good luck as they get to laying ages!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:41 PM
& the Muttly Crew

The ladies' wattle & comb development...the Wyandottes, Australorps, and Rock are coming along. Brahmas and Sussex are lagging. No eggs yet.

Miss Rock had no interest in letting me photograph her comb and wattle :P

Old 09-17-2013, 06:25 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Congrats on your birds!!! THey look lovely.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 09-17-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm All Ears

I know nothing about chickens so all of this sounds like a foreign language to me...

I have a question though. Is there a specific reason to have a bunch of different kinds? What are the differences between the chickens? Is it breed or just color?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:31 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I know nothing about chickens so all of this sounds like a foreign language to me...

I have a question though. Is there a specific reason to have a bunch of different kinds? What are the differences between the chickens? Is it breed or just color?
Reason for people in general to have different breeds of chicken are kind of like reasons to have different breeds of dogs...they are bred for different purposes: some for meat, some for high egg production, some for docility, some for excellent ranging abilities (thrifty). Some are catch-all versatility breeds that give decent egg production (but not as high as others), decent table weight (but not as high or fast as others), etc. Better in heat, better in cold. And some are just chosen to be pretty. Frizzle weird feathers that aren't really any good when it comes to weather protection but look different...exotic comb types...dizzying arrays of colors...giant plumbs of feathers that look like some sort of feathery 80s metal rock band hair.

Reason for me to have a variety of breeds? There are a lot of breeds in that "dual purpose" category with slight variations. I wanted an array of breeds so I can easily tell them all apart without banding or any of that. And it's fun :P