Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
As far as leather I really like bold lead designs and Texas Leash... I also love Northern Blackout, but I don't think she makes leads much anymore. Are you wanting a thinner leash or do you prefer wider?
I definitely prefer thinner leashes. My hands are pretty itty bitty, so, there's that. I have a 3/4" Lupine that I really like the width of. My mom got me a leather leash for Christmas that is 1" and just too thick and wide and stiff. I've tried conditioning the thing but it's just...yuck.

Growing up with horses, I don't like crappy leather things. I like nice, supple, strong leathery things.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 05-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Top Dog

Love allk-9.com's 1/2" 6' black biothane leads. They are the best, hands down, to any leather or biothane leash I've used before.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 05-18-2013, 07:03 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I keep meaning to buy "nicer" leather leashes but honestly my JJDog leather leads work great and are all broken in an supple and just the way I like them so I don't.

I also have a 30" Stibbar lead that I use for obe and such which is great too, but it's too short and narrow for most practical applications and I haven't really felt the need to fork over $35-40 for a longer/wider one.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-19-2013, 10:34 AM
Big Dog

I got the dogs biothane leashes from here: http://www.allk-9.com/leashes-amp-ta...e-c-22_24.html

I got 4ft 3/8 width w/o-ring on end for my small dogs and 5ft 3/4" width with o-ring for big dogs. Although the 3/8 held my Dogo with no issue.

I love them. Dogs have ran them thru mud, muck, pond water, lake water, saltwater, dead critters and they just wipe clean. They are soft, flexible and don't hurt my hands.

This is pretty much all I think I will ever use again.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewave View Post
I got the dogs biothane leashes from here: http://www.allk-9.com/leashes-amp-ta...e-c-22_24.html

I got 4ft 3/8 width w/o-ring on end for my small dogs and 5ft 3/4" width with o-ring for big dogs. Although the 3/8 held my Dogo with no issue.

I love them. Dogs have ran them thru mud, muck, pond water, lake water, saltwater, dead critters and they just wipe clean. They are soft, flexible and don't hurt my hands.

This is pretty much all I think I will ever use again.
Im thinking I have to buy one of these.

Brit & Jackson

Old 05-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Top Dog

Of all the leashes I have, my absolute favorites are J&J's Service Dog lead, the 6 & 3 feet braided leads from On Lead (gift from a friend) and the 6 & 10 feet ASAT/Biothane ones from AllK-9. Like someone else has already said, the ones from AllK-9 are really soft. My only "issue" is that the 6 ft (5/8 inch wide) one has a heavier snap than I like for daily using with a collar. But for hiking and Nosework, when Caleb is wearing a harness, it's great (the 10 ft one is thinner).
Old 05-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Lord Cynical

Master's Pride and J&J. J&J leashes break in fast, but until they're broken in I can't say I like them. But once they're broken in... oh man, there's nothing better.

I have braided leather leashes for the Dobergirls, but they're made by one of our local obedience people so I don't have a website for them.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 05-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Behavior Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
J&J leashes break in fast, but until they're broken in I can't say I like them. But once they're broken in... oh man, there's nothing better.
That. I, too, have a SD lead made by J&J (purchased from Guide Dogs for the Blind for like $14) that I adore so much that I got 3 more. Until they break in they are stiff, but once broken in, omg wonderful!

The leather does darken and stretch a bit over time as well.

Here is my 11 year old lead next to one that I've only used a handful of times:

Old 05-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Kung Pow Fish

I use bull hide leads from 3Cs I have the black, teal, and purple, and they hold up incredibly well to damage and pulling
Old 05-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
That. I, too, have a SD lead made by J&J (purchased from Guide Dogs for the Blind for like $14) that I adore so much that I got 3 more. Until they break in they are stiff, but once broken in, omg wonderful!

The leather does darken and stretch a bit over time as well.

Here is my 11 year old lead next to one that I've only used a handful of times:
Agreed. The leash Julian ate as a puppy was my 1/4", well broken in, had it for years leash. I was so bitter than I didn't buy a new leather leash for years and years. I am really not picky about my leashes as long as it is thin, decent leather, and breaks in well.
My current leash, that I got at a vendor, was very soft when I got it and is breaking in nicely.