Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-01-2006, 10:16 PM
PixieSticksandTricks's Avatar
PixieSticksandTricks PixieSticksandTricks is offline
Athletic Labs. They Exist
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,799
Default Nephew afraid of Dr. Phil

My 6 year old nephew screams and cries if you turn on Dr. Phil. Why you may ask? Because my sister instilled this fear in him that if he wasent good she would take him on the Dr. Phil show and he would be sent to one of those bad little kid camps "Happy Hills" or something like that. She told him this when he was three and going through this horrible stage where he was just the most hateful little kid ever. I brought it up because earlier I was watching Dr. Phil and my nephews and sister walk in. And my oldest nephew starts screaming "TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF!!!!!" I kind of laughed (I know im a horrible aunt) and turned the channel.

I started to think maybe it wasent such a good idea to make him fear something that much. But I tell you what if you ask him "You want to go and see Dr. Phil?" he will behave like and angel. Im not sure if its a good or bad thing. What do you think?
__________________
Sporting Dogs Make Me Smile
Mom to-
Maggie May (5 year old, American Cocker Spaniel)
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-01-2006, 10:24 PM
jess2416's Avatar
jess2416 jess2416 is offline
Who woulda thought <3
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 22,560
Default

I think its awful that these days some parents have to bribe their kids to be good.....but it is kinda funny....

**Disclaimer** Not intended to anyone in particular*** JMO

Last edited by jess2416; 05-01-2006 at 10:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-01-2006, 10:40 PM
smkie's Avatar
smkie smkie is offline
pointer/labrador/terrier
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 54,756
Default

i hope he knows you are kidding....if he really believed that i think it mean and he may think so too when he gets older. I have Hyia and she is a very easy 6 year old, very mature and good in behavior but if i said such a thing to her she would be deeply wounded. I had a difficult child too, that had behaviors that would make my mind break into pieces sometimes, so i know how hard it can be. That makes trust even more an important issue. Just think a little about it ok? i wouldn't do it or say it, unless i realllllly meant it the camp thing. My daughter went to the hospital 7 times in her growing years, each one was a serious statement when it left my lips. The hospital wasn't a threat, it was a solution. She knew she needed it and so did i. THe first time was the hardest, she was 7 0r 8 I really don't rememeber. I visited her each day, never missing a visitation period to let her know i was still there for her and that she wasn't being "sent" away because she was bad, that she was getting HELP and so was i. Better that way, they are so tender on the inside.
__________________

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary


Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-01-2006, 10:45 PM
PixieSticksandTricks's Avatar
PixieSticksandTricks PixieSticksandTricks is offline
Athletic Labs. They Exist
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
i hope he knows you are kidding....if he really believed that i think it mean and he may think so too when he gets older. I have Hyia and she is a very easy 6 year old, very mature and good in behavior but if i said such a thing to her she would be deeply wounded. I had a difficult child too, that had behaviors that would make my mind break into pieces sometimes, so i know how hard it can be. That makes trust even more an important issue. Just think a little about it ok? i wouldn't do it or say it, unless i realllllly meant it the camp thing. My daughter went to the hospital 7 times in her growing years, each one was a serious statement when it left my lips. The hospital wasn't a threat, it was a solution. She knew she needed it and so did i. THe first time was the hardest, she was 7 0r 8 I really don't rememeber. I visited her each day, never missing a visitation period to let her know i was still there for her and that she wasn't being "sent" away because she was bad, that she was getting HELP and so was i. Better that way, they are so tender on the inside.
Oh I have never said it to him. Its always been my sister im not sure if she means it as a joke or not. Both her boys have serious tempers something I beleive that get from their dad (who has to tak anger management). Both of them are really tough on her and even beat up on her sometimes. I think she was just looking for an easy way to gain control. The 6 year old is much better then ever was though. I think school has helped him alot he is much more laid back and polite.
__________________
Sporting Dogs Make Me Smile
Mom to-
Maggie May (5 year old, American Cocker Spaniel)
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-01-2006, 11:27 PM
smkie's Avatar
smkie smkie is offline
pointer/labrador/terrier
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 54,756
Default

its hard i know i am glad you didn't tho.
__________________

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary


Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Buckshot's Avatar
Buckshot Buckshot is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,155
Default

I cry when Dr Phil comes on too. The kid sounds like hes headed in the right direction.
__________________
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. ~Denis Diderot

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
Ayn Rand

There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist.
Ayn Rand
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-02-2006, 12:05 AM
bubbatd's Avatar
bubbatd bubbatd is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 64,812
Default

Back in my day , Moms used to say " Wait until you Father come home " ....I never did and didn't agree !! In fact there were things I never told him about because scolding a child 6 hours later when they have been already punished did no good. Had he been the type to gently talk to the child ...fine... but he would have spanked or added more consequences . It really was a shame, but he never knew how to be a father...... was sent to Military School at 13. Our kids weren't going to be ruined by his childhood experiences.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-02-2006, 12:49 PM
micro202's Avatar
micro202 micro202 is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: illinois
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot
I cry when Dr Phil comes on too. The kid sounds like hes headed in the right direction.
Haha. Teach them young!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-02-2006, 12:54 PM
smkie's Avatar
smkie smkie is offline
pointer/labrador/terrier
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 54,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
Back in my day , Moms used to say " Wait until you Father come home " ....I never did and didn't agree !! In fact there were things I never told him about because scolding a child 6 hours later when they have been already punished did no good. Had he been the type to gently talk to the child ...fine... but he would have spanked or added more consequences . It really was a shame, but he never knew how to be a father...... was sent to Military School at 13. Our kids weren't going to be ruined by his childhood experiences.
good for you Bubbat..plus i think it unfair to expect someone to come home after a day's hard work and even before they have had a chance to unwind, they have to deal with more stress. ANd it shows that the mother is not in control that she should be with her children if she has to wait for someone to do the hard part.
__________________

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary


Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-02-2006, 01:27 PM
JennSLK's Avatar
JennSLK JennSLK is offline
F150 and a .30-06
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Alberta
Posts: 6,956
Default

I'm scared of doctor Phil. He's um rather opinionated isn't he?
__________________



Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site