Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-18-2013, 01:00 PM
F150 and a .30-06

I would stay away from any of the hounds. They are not a good off leash dog and they tend to be a bit more independent than what it sounds like you are looking for.

What about a PWD? The ones I know are great dogs with alot of energy.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 05-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Taxiderpy

Spinone. They're so mellow and chill and friendly. They're a perfect manly hanging-out-in-the-shop-with-the-guys dog. They're also wire coated, so don't shed all over the place. You might want to rake out the under coat with a mars coat king once a month or so, but they're pretty low maintenance.

The ones I've met were like goldens that were really mellow and moved in slow motion. They're pretty smart too, at least that's the impression I've gotten. Everyone I know with one has sworn they'll never go to another bird dog breed again, for both hunting and companionship.

The other that comes to mind are gordon setters, but they shed more than a spinone. I don't know how their shedding is compared to a lab though.

ETA: I just looked up spinone grooming and am wrong, they DON'T have an undercoat. Which makes shedding even less and grooming even easier than my old griff.

ETAETA: They're also bred to be close working with a hunter on foot vs. GSP which were bred to work far afield with a hunter on horseback. One guy I know that has them used to have WHPGs, but he's in his 80s now, still loves bird hunting and just wanted a bird dog that moved at his pace and stayed close by, was easy to handle as a puppy and adult, etc. So now he has spinones and is totally hooked on them. "Never looking back," in his words.

Last edited by Romy; 05-18-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:39 PM
<----Thanks Allie

OMG! Romy you're a genius! I just read the description and they sound PERFECT! I am defiantly going to have to look up some shows to meet them. I think they might have even just made my future dog list. LOL.

I'm still keeping everyone else's suggestions bc obviously, it's his choice of what breed to pick. So if anyone else thinks of one that would fit, the list is still open.

And yeah, I wasn't going to suggest he get a hound. They're pretty notorious for wandering off. I was just saying out of the Iam's list, I only had expience with the Basset.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Top Dog

I love Spinones!!!!! I've met quite a few (they were everywhere in the UK) and they just seemed so chill and never went too far away from their people. And they're freaking adorable.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Big Dog

I would suggest looking into the smooth collies if he's interested in a herder or maybe a well bred bench golden retriever.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Not a Border Collie

English Shepherds may be too high energy, especially if you get one from the only Ontario breeder (Quinn's breeder). Her dogs all have good off switches, Quinn included, but do tend to be a little higher drive.

eta: I'm an idiot! I thought you were in Ontario. Sorry about that. There are definitely more breeders in the US and enough variation you could probably find a lower energy pup.

Quinn - English Shepherd