Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-17-2013, 03:50 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Smile Another breed suggestion thread

This is for the SO, I figured I'd compile a list of good breeds for him to check out. And since we have a bunch of other ones going on.... LOL.

At first he liked just playing with my dogs, but recently he's been asking me about getting his own dog. I think he took it kind of hard when Walsh passed bc Muffin is a true momma's boy and Walsh would at least give him the time of day. Anyway, this won't be until we buy a house... So at least 2 years away.

His requirements:

1) Size: not a small breed, preference will be given to med breeds but large will not be excluded.

2) Shedding: preference will be given to no/light shedding but heavy shedders will not be excluded

3) Barking: alert barking only and dog must stop once human acknowledges the thing. An example: there was a fox making freaky noises outside the front door two days ago... Keeda went ballistic. As soon as I said, "yup, I know now go to sleep." she stopped barking.

4) Energy: Med-Low energy. He will train basic obed he will not go any farther. The dog will mostly play in the yard during the week with any dogs I may have at the time plus play with him in the yard a few times a week, go to the shop with him, and go on a 4-6 mile hike 1x every other week.

5) Random: needs to be a Velcro-dog(he wants to be adored), not huge prey drive he wants a dog he can trust to stick around him off leash when he's got the shop door open or is fixing something outside in an unfenced part of the property.

6) This is a MUST: ABSOLUTELY NO AGGRESSION of any kind. People are in and out of his shop all day, along with other dogs... I will always have multiple dogs and I don't want to crate and rotate again if I can help it... Also there will be kids in this dog's lifetime.

We're going the breeder route, so along with breeds I would be more than welcome to breeders(you can PM if you want). I want him to get a breeder rehome... He wants a puppy... I have a few years to try to convince him but we may end up with a puppy... So again, breeder recommendations would be great!

TIA!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:41 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Adult Labrador. Just saying. ^^

They obviously are heavy shedders and as puppies I would not deem them low-medium energy, but even then, the Labs I grew up with were satisfied with basic exercise outlets (play, short walks, etc.) if they were given enough mental stimulation during the day (and if he takes the dog to the shop with him, that might be stimulating enough - I don't know).

Old 05-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Top Dog

you need to come up this way sometime and meet Hudson. He might be a little higher energy than you guys would want though

1) Size: not a small breed, preference will be given to med breeds but large will not be excluded. Currently 36ish lbs at 8.5 months old. Both parents were around 20" at the shoulder and 50 lbs

2) Shedding: preference will be given to no/light shedding but heavy shedders will not be excluded This is a better question for someone who has had one longer. I think he sheds less that I do

3) Barking: alert barking only and dog must stop once human acknowledges the thing. An example: there was a fox making freaky noises outside the front door two days ago... Keeda went ballistic. As soon as I said, "yup, I know now go to sleep." she stopped barking. He will keep going on after i tell him everything is fine, but I think that has more to do with puppy and less to do with the breed over all. He barked at a jogger this morning, but wasn't crazy about it. As soon as she was out of sight he was fine

4) Energy: Med-Low energy. He will train basic obed he will not go any farther. The dog will mostly play in the yard during the week with any dogs I may have at the time plus play with him in the yard a few times a week, go to the shop with him, and go on a 4-6 mile hike 1x every other week.
Hudson, I feel, falls pretty firmly in the 'medium' energy category. We play in the yard and on the weekends do fun things (eg. dock dogs last weekend, festival the weekend before, festival this weekend), those normally knock him out for a while.

5) Random: needs to be a Velcro-dog(he wants to be adored), not huge prey drive he wants a dog he can trust to stick around him off leash when he's got the shop door open or is fixing something outside in an unfenced part of the property. Herdy..Since he is a puppy, I don't trust him a whole lot because...puppy, but he is pretty velcro-y Hudson is my boy. I can't go to the bathroom without him barging in. They don't call them English Shadow's for no reason

6) This is a MUST: ABSOLUTELY NO AGGRESSION of any kind. People are in and out of his shop all day, along with other dogs... I will always have multiple dogs and I don't want to crate and rotate again if I can help it... Also there will be kids in this dog's lifetime. Hudson has shown 0 issues towards aggression, well, except for the time he felt dad was being aggressive towards my niece and Hudson politely put his teeth on dad's arm to tell him to knock it off (after his warning barks were ignored)

Other ideas -
Standard Poodle?
LHW or Silken? Don't know how velcro-y they are.
Cocker Spaniel? I was in a shop this past weekend and the guy had a cocker. He just hung out in the shop while the guy was working on bikes and stuff. Pretty cool little dog. And he was happy to play with Hudson

Some of the other sporting breed types, like weim or GSP, or Vizsla - Probably too high energy for him.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 05-17-2013, 05:56 PM
I'm All Ears

I thought adult lab too other than the shedding and the puppy energy. But the adult labs I know are really great dogs. Most are pretty easy going, friendly, and not all that hyper. So yeah.. if you could handle the puppy years I think the dog could grow into what he wants. I'd pay attention to lines though because some of the field line dogs I know are on fire all the time.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:29 PM

I also would say, "He needs a Cynder." So maybe look into the various Spaniel breeds? Field bred English Cocker, Field Spaniel, Welsh Springer, etc.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:50 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I defiantly think the right adult lab would be perfect for him, if I can convince him to go for an adult. My main concern is that I KNOW during annoying puppy years I'll have to make up his slack and I have my own dog things to do... not to mention, I'm trying not to do to much with it as I want it to be fully bonded to him. This will be his first dog, I want to take away from that.

I am still going to push for an adult as hard as I can, since he's not dog savy and he really just wants a pet to hang out with him knowing the adult temperament would make things 900 bajillion times easier.

I told him to get a poodle, he shot that down super quickly. LOL. It's just the poodle reputation though, not the actual dog.

I'm not sure what the energy levels of GSPs and such are, but I'm assuming they're up there? I'm mainly expierenced with herding breeds. The dog will have time to play fetch or play chase with my dog(s), but it won't be doing agility or trailing at all.

I was considering an English Shepherd, I'd really have to meet a few first. I have zero expierence with them... But they're supposed to be lower energy than BCs and Aussies right? So if I could find a low-key one it might work.

As far as whippets, don't they have high prey drive? He needs a dog that is more interested in sticking around him than taking off to get a squirrel.

ETA: I can add cocker to the list, but I think they might be a little on the small side for him.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:15 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I took the Iams breed selector, the questions weren't great though... Anyway this is what came back:

1) Boykin Spaniel
2) American Water Spaniel
3) Vizsla
4) Basset Hound

The only one out of them I have experience with is a Basset.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Top Dog

I was going to suggest either a golden, or some kind of spaniel.

I also though beagle, but they're small, and I know they can be wanderers so you'd have to ask someone more experienced about it staying inside with the door open or going into unfenced areas off leash. Bassett also crossed my mind, but again, not sure about the leash thing.

Standard poodle was another I was going to say, just because of the lower shedding.

I couldn't think of any other breeds and felt dumb because of it, but since everyone else gave the same suggestions, I guess I wasn't too far off

A lot of sporting dogs, Viszlas, GSPs, etc. are pretty high energy. But honestly, with the exercise you're listing, I don't think a medium-high energy dog would be stir crazy or too much to handle. IME viszlas are the less high-strung/wired of the pointing dogs. Weims and GSPs seem to be more energetic. And all of them bond VERY closely to their owners.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
I was considering an English Shepherd, I'd really have to meet a few first. I have zero expierence with them... But they're supposed to be lower energy than BCs and Aussies right? So if I could find a low-key one it might work.

ETA: I can add cocker to the list, but I think they might be a little on the small side for him.
If you ever come up this way, let me know. There really are quite a few English Sheperds in the NJ/NY/CT area. I know one lady in NJ is wanting to organize a meet up in this area

What about the larger spaniels? Like an ESS or...ummm...other spaniels, lol. Brain dead today

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 05-18-2013, 12:12 PM

Although cockers are relatively small, I think Field Spaniels and Welsh Springers are in that 40-50 pound range. Perfect size, IMO.

Besides, they're so good looking!