Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Top Dog

I paid a very small rehoming fee for Nog. I was fine with it...I'd prefer people ask a rehoming fee to weed out the weirdos
Old 05-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Big Dog

It would depend on the dog and situation. I wouldn't mind a small fee like $50-100 especially if the dog came with a crate. Maybe up to $200 if it were a young purebred and already spayed/neutered and current on everything.

For any dog I rehomed myself and was not a rescue, I did not charge for. Like the Greyhound I got to race in NOTRA. Due to some circumstances in my life, I couldn't get him to the track and found family that could. He ended up being #1 Greyhound and #4 All breed in NOTRA last year, but hey that is the breaks of life. He was a performance dog and wanted to run. I couldn't provide that for him and he is happy in this home that could provide it. I could have sold him, but that wasn't the point.

You don't recoup cost or profit off dogs and if you do, you are doing it wrong! Weeding out nutjobs that just want to flip the dog, I understand though, but it doesn't have to be a huge fee or you really don't have to take it once the right home is found.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Lab Love

200 seems like the normal people charge when they're rehoming their dogs, at least from what I've seen on kijiji. It's still cheaper than pretty much 80% of the rescues and when you look at it, $200 isn't that much money. For the right dog (and that particular one is utterly ADORABLE) I would pay $200. Not much higher, mind you.

It depends on things too... if the shots are up to date, if he's mild mannered, young or old.. etc.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 05-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Top Dog

That dog is adorable! Would I personally pay $200 for a re-home? It depends on the situation. If it was a breeder re-home that I know about: I would. But if it is just a dog from the general public, maybe not.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Top Dog

Permission to share! This is the one with a fee that I fell in love with, she sent video of him fetching as well but I can't upload video!

Old 05-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

I used to believe that I would not pay a re-home fee, but now have changed my mind. I payed a re-home fee for Mitsu, she cost me 300.00 and to me that is nothing. Having her in our lives was priceless.

My parents just paid a 350.00 re-home free for Fancy from a breeder. She was just recently Spayed, UTD, although she has some training issues, like house training and some basic training.

If its the right dog, I see nothing wrong with paying a fee.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 05-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Love My Mutt <3

That dog looks awful big to fit under the seat as a carry-on.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Oh gosh, he IS cute!!

It's definitely possible once she talks to your vet her rehoming price will drop - there is apparently a thing such as "dog flipping" that occurs on craigslist, at least our local one. People will find the dogs that are free or have a very low rehoming fee, "adopt" them, then turn around and sell them again for a few hundred bucks. So she might have set the price high just to run people off but once she finds somebody she knows she can trust will lower that price.

Good luck!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
That dog looks awful big to fit under the seat as a carry-on.
He may be, his weights good and when I was on my flights most dogs didn't fit "under" the seat but were between the owners legs on the floor, West Jets also a bit liberal on room in the carrier for flights less than 2 hours, one gentleman with a Lapso (sp?) said he's fine on short flights but when they tried flying to BC they said no...

Worse case its only a couple times a year, I'll check him, their cargo is good as well, but Id prefer not to...

Assuming I don't drive anyways, having no car at the other end and renting can get pricey enough to rival the savings of flying
Old 05-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Top Dog

He is sooooooooooo cute!!!!!

I would pay a re-homing fee, but probably not $200, unless it was the perfect dog that I musthave. But I'd probably try to talk them down because I'd likely not want to take all of their stuff too.

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador | Smallpox - 2014 Rat Terrier