Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Top Dog

I also wanted to add though that I'd probably make an exception on a large rehoming fee if I REALLY clicked with the dog, regardless of what I felt the previous owner's intentions were.

That dog is seriously cute, btw.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 05-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
I also wanted to add though that I'd probably make an exception on a large rehoming fee if I REALLY clicked with the dog, regardless of what I felt the previous owner's intentions were.

That dog is seriously cute, btw.
The one in the picture is a different adult rehome I'm considering, but he is over weight for flying and that's a big consideration for me if things go the way I hope with regards to traveling home more often
Old 05-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Top Dog

A small fee, but $200 sounds pretty high...that's what most rescues charge here and they're covering the cost of care for that dog's whole shelter stay, etc.

I think paying $100 or $150 is reasonable, if the dog is UTD on recent medical care (vaccines, altered) and you're getting stuff with it. Because even if she wanted to rehome the dog and sell all his stuff separately, she'd be making that much on the stuff anyway. You don't get a crate, leashes, collar, toys, dishes, etc. with a rescue dog.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Behavior Nerd

For a dog with no vetting, on crappy food, left outside all the time with no training I wouldn't want to pay much, if any, rehoming fee.

For a dog like you describe, who is up to date on vet care, well cared for, etc. I'd probably pay up to about $200.

$200 as an adoption fee is low for small breed rescues ime and there is nothing wrong with a private owner rehome! In fact, I tend to like to see responsible owner rehomes because it means less change for the dog.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLeigh View Post
The one in the picture is a different adult rehome I'm considering, but he is over weight for flying and that's a big consideration for me if things go the way I hope with regards to traveling home more often
I gotcha. Still, he's a cute little ****

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 05-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
For a dog with no vetting, on crappy food, left outside all the time with no training I wouldn't want to pay much, if any, rehoming fee.

For a dog like you describe, who is up to date on vet care, well cared for, etc. I'd probably pay up to about $200.

$200 as an adoption fee is low for small breed rescues ime and there is nothing wrong with a private owner rehome! In fact, I tend to like to see responsible owner rehomes because it means less change for the dog.
That's kind of where I'm at, the "free" rehome is a year old, has one puppy shot, no other vet care, needs training, and I'm not sure I trust that he's fully housebroken....
Old 05-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Top Dog

I would probably pay up to $200 for the perfect dog from a rehome...if I was sure he was 'the one'.

The only way I would pay more would be if it was a (purebred) puppy someone purchased from a breeder and it was too much work. But then again I'd probably just want a puppy from a reputable breeder of my choice anyway.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Top Dog

I paid the people I got Diesel from $300, but he came with well over $500 worth of kennels, toys, treats, food, dishes, etc. he was also neutered and utd on shots. Neutering here starts at $350, Bristols spay was $550, and that was with a coupon for $100 off. $300 is the same as the SPCA here charges and I would not have gotten anything with him at all.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:25 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Fwiw I don't care if others do, I also never charged an adoption fee for a single rescue I fostered an placed independently. I just don't see myself doing it because it doesn't feel right for me.
Badwrong!

Old 05-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Top Dog

I would pay it. It's still cheaper than most rescues around here. Yes, she might be making money off of him because she can, but you're still getting a dog out of it and you are not supporting a BYB with your money (as she didn't breed him), he's a rehome. But you decide whether or not you're comfortable with that.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!