Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Bored Now.

Just to add to my ruminations here, the reason I'm so adamantly against barking and shedding (which, I realize, are totally normal dog-things) is because getting a dog is a lifetime commitment. I committed to Middie before I even realized what I was doing. It's a big decision, and he and I are stuck with one another 'until death do us part.' The next dog is going to receive the same commitment from me, and having a dog I'm happy with for a decade is a big deal to me.

I can't stand constant barking - I did a great job training Middie into being an apartment dog when I was living in VA, and while he does bark (especially if other dogs are barking) he isn't insistent about it. He doesn't bark just to her his own voice like some of the dogs I've lived with, so I can work with it.

I've also got to the point where I can't stand shedding. Living with a lab mix and GSD doesn't help that. I like my clothes to be hair-free and I like to vacuum once a week - not 2x-3x and still noticing hair everywhere. I hate cleaning clumps of hair out of the stairs, I hate having fur on my sheets, I hate cleaning it out of the inside of my shoes. . . Basically, I just hate it. No matter how much a bathe and blow dry or furminate I'll never be able to keep everything under control. I got spoiled when I was living on my own for a few months. I missed Middie so much, but nothing ever got dirty.

So, basically, if I'm making this commitment to a dog for that length of time, I want to make sure I'm not going to be frustrated. I want to hug my dog when I get home from work, not run upstairs and change first.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
Bouves are pure awesome. I grew up with three of them and have a family Bouve. When it comes to shedding I actually notice no hair, pretty much ever. Temperament wise they have all been guardy when needed be, but very much social with people. They are also very much a herding breed. They bark, but not excessively, they are pushy and DA or SSA can pop up in the breed. But I am sure with the right breeder you could find the perfect dog. I would try and meet some and see what you think.
They sound like they might fit, but the problem is that in my heart of hearts I don't want to get a dog from a breeder - I want to find one that needs a home and doesn't cost a grand or two. Does that make sense? I realize chaz has moved from a "ZOMG RESCUE" forum to a "buy from a responsible breeder!" forum over the last few years, and that might be an unpopular opinion.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
They sound like they might fit, but the problem is that in my heart of hearts I don't want to get a dog from a breeder - I want to find one that needs a home and doesn't cost a grand or two. Does that make sense? I realize chaz has moved from a "ZOMG RESCUE" forum to a "buy from a responsible breeder!" forum over the last few years, and that might be an unpopular opinion.
If in your heat you want to rescue, then rescue. I personally have nothing against rescue. I think a lot of people in chaz like their breeder dogs, but we all love our rescues as well and a lot of us have rescued.

I found a rescue:http://www.secondchancebouvrescue.com/available.html

And if you look on Petfinder there are actually quite a few Bouviers

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 09-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Just to add to my ruminations here, the reason I'm so adamantly against barking and shedding (which, I realize, are totally normal dog-things) is because getting a dog is a lifetime commitment. I committed to Middie before I even realized what I was doing. It's a big decision, and he and I are stuck with one another 'until death do us part.' The next dog is going to receive the same commitment from me, and having a dog I'm happy with for a decade is a big deal to me.

I can't stand constant barking - I did a great job training Middie into being an apartment dog when I was living in VA, and while he does bark (especially if other dogs are barking) he isn't insistent about it. He doesn't bark just to her his own voice like some of the dogs I've lived with, so I can work with it.

I've also got to the point where I can't stand shedding. Living with a lab mix and GSD doesn't help that. I like my clothes to be hair-free and I like to vacuum once a week - not 2x-3x and still noticing hair everywhere. I hate cleaning clumps of hair out of the stairs, I hate having fur on my sheets, I hate cleaning it out of the inside of my shoes. . . Basically, I just hate it. No matter how much a bathe and blow dry or furminate I'll never be able to keep everything under control. I got spoiled when I was living on my own for a few months. I missed Middie so much, but nothing ever got dirty.

So, basically, if I'm making this commitment to a dog for that length of time, I want to make sure I'm not going to be frustrated. I want to hug my dog when I get home from work, not run upstairs and change first.

I totally get it! It's one of the things stopping me from a few breeds I do really like. I just forget how much hair most dogs have until I'm around the ones that do LOL. Jackson doesn't shed at all, and even my dads long haired Dachshund mix and JRT mix don't shed much. So I just... haven't dealt with hair since I was younger (growing up with a Golden and a GSD). And whenever I think about getting a shedding breed again, I do question if it's worth it, LOL

Brit & Jackson

Old 09-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
I totally get it! It's one of the things stopping me from a few breeds I do really like. I just forget how much hair most dogs have until I'm around the ones that do LOL. Jackson doesn't shed at all, and even my dads long haired Dachshund mix and JRT mix don't shed much. So I just... haven't dealt with hair since I was younger (growing up with a Golden and a GSD). And whenever I think about getting a shedding breed again, I do question if it's worth it, LOL
Someone else who finally understands! LOL
Old 09-25-2013, 06:29 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

What about a jack Russell? I know they might be a little smaller then what you prefer, but they are "sharper" in temperament and aren't overly "yay yay yay strangers-as-potential-friends!" And have a tendency to be rather aloof. Mine, Bear will accept handling (had to since he was a show dog) and didn't HATE it, but he is very "take it or leave it" about stranger contact. He does love his people though www.terrier.com is a great site to find info and breeders ... There are a few good ones in CO.

Of course, a Doberman is also a great breed too I had a rescued dobe, she was a doll

Golden doodles are also awesome, but whatever you choose I wish you the best of luck .

Old 09-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Top Dog

For the record i TOTALLY agree, i have said since having Bristol, and now Diesel, i will not ever have another shedding dog again, i love Gage, but i dont love his hair, or his drool, from now dogs i have will be non-shedders as well.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:46 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Oh mine are terrible. They are shedding, drooling, dirt- rolling rascals ... Ant I love them just the way they are, I couldn't imagine having it any other way . Our house is a ranch style home with linoleum in all the rooms except the master bedroom and the living room, but the dogs don't go there.

Now it's fall, so three of my dogs are blowing their summer coats to get their winter coats, so yes, every day I sweep up hair & I just don't wear any dark or "clingy" fabrics, but I am mostly a jeans girl so if they do happen to run up against me then its no big deal.

Even if next dog doesn't shed it will still likely get dirty and roll in whatever, even if they don't shed they will still make a mess.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:06 PM
Big Dog

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...3-09-22020.jpg

We used to have Greyhounds and it took me a while to decide between a Greyhound or a Doberman, but I am glad I chose Kris. All my little dogs are non-shedding but Susie, who is a Bernese cross, makes up for them. After getting her I vowed never to get a long haired shedding dog again.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Oh mine are terrible. They are shedding, drooling, dirt- rolling rascals ... Ant I love them just the way they are, I couldn't imagine having it any other way . Our house is a ranch style home with linoleum in all the rooms except the master bedroom and the living room, but the dogs don't go there.

Now it's fall, so three of my dogs are blowing their summer coats to get their winter coats, so yes, every day I sweep up hair & I just don't wear any dark or "clingy" fabrics, but I am mostly a jeans girl so if they do happen to run up against me then its no big deal.

Even if next dog doesn't shed it will still likely get dirty and roll in whatever, even if they don't shed they will still make a mess.
While this is true, all dogs will get dirty, there really IS a difference ... I dogsit a lot, well used to, and the difference between Jackson and other dogs was huge and I became very appreciative, lol. If you don't live with it for a while, it's hard to go back. Jackson getting dirty compared to a 90lb Rottie getting dirty is a big difference. Even a 35lb Foxhound, I could not BELIEVE how dirty she got my car when I only watched her for 2 nights and drove her in the car for a max of 45 mins. Hair everywhere, drool all over my backseat. Even when Jackson is messy, it's just... still not nearly the amount of mess I've experienced with bigger dogs/high shedding dogs lol. My grandma's Goldendoodle is pretty easy to manage as far as hair goes, he doesn't shed at all and when she gets him groomed, dirt practically falls off of him. But she lucked out, he has a very nice coat. He is HUGE though. lol

Brit & Jackson