Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
Keeeeep herrrrr.....
Lol. She will never do what he wants to do. I don't see her EVER becoming a duck dog. Plus, I do not see him getting into dog sports, which I think she would just excel at.

I will not take her to be my next sport prospect. She's not quite hard enough for what I'm looking for, and is too BC-ish in her herding. Even though I put off my puppy for a few years, it is still my intention to go the breeder route with the breeder I chose.

That said, I may not be able to talk him out of it. Time will tell.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 05-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Top Dog

This was kind of the case with Ma'ii for a little while. Although we've had him for a year and 1/2 now, it wasn't until just a few months ago that we actually started bonding. I've always loved him, don't get me wrong. But there was no real...connection, I guess you could say for lack of a better term. A lot of this was because he made doing things together very difficult. He can be a VERY, very obnoxious dog, and makes even the simplest things like sitting down and cuddling nearly impossible, lol.

I eventually acknowledged there was a lack of bonding with him and I, and decided he deserved more effort then that. I began taking him out on one on one outings and hikes. Through this, we got to know each other better, and we began to bond. He's a VERY, very smart, and very sensitive dog that just needed someone who was willing to take the time to really get to know him well - something that I admittedly had never done. A lot of it was also a matter of I kept comparing him to Charlotte, who is a dog I bonded to right away from the start, and was subconsciously expecting him to be similar to her. Which is unrealistic and very unfair.

If I had put in the effort to bond with him, and still nothing happened, I don't think I'd have ever given up on him. I'd have kept pushing and kept trying, until the day he died. The only exception to this would have been if someone came along that I knew well who clicked with him better and who could have offered him a better life.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb

Last edited by Shakou; 05-17-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:24 PM
<----Thanks Allie

On the flip side of this, as a non-puppy lover.... I like when people have a well adjusted dog they are re-homing because they have no bond with him/her... That is exactly the type of dogs I usually look for.

These days I will probably always go through breeders, so it would be one they kept back that didn't work out or a puppy buyer return... But even a personal rehomes are nice. There have been a few that switched hands within my classes at the training facility I use, they were word of mouth personal rehomes but all worked out and the new owners and dogs were both SO much happier bc they had a bond.

Absolutely no way someone should just drop a dog at a shelter or give them to the first person to walk by.... But if they weren't done at all.... Well I'd be a very sad person.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Sprayin' the spiders

I currently own 6 dogs; 4 of them live with me. I'd say I have a bond with all of them, but it's a different type of bond per dog, if that makes sense.

The relationship I have with Ruby and Rocket is deepest out of all 6. I can rely on both of them; they are the ones I greet when I come home; they are the ones I show, train, and do everything with. I try not to think of the day I lose either of them, because it'll break my heart when they each pass. I love them even when they are being complete a-holes, and I appreciate their individuality enough to realize their limitations and when they don't enjoy something. I've learned a TON about dogs and myself as a person from both of them.

The bond I have with Allie and Noodle is different. I love them both and their quirks; they've both taught me things that without the experience of bonding with them and living with them I would make a mistake in selecting a new puppy.

Kaylee and Poison don't live with me, but the time I've spent with each of them through travel, training, and showing has bonded us.

Kind of hard to grasp through my ramble, but I've been incredibly lucky that all of the dogs we've rescued/purchased are still with us and live pretty harmoniously. I couldn't imagine coming home and not having Allie bark like an idiot, Ruby growling at me and hiding behind the door, Rocket bouncing and licking my nose, and Noodle jumping against my legs.

Generally speaking - and this is my opinion - I feel like a bond takes effort and time, and when it doesn't come easy, most people jump ship. I don't feel like a lack of a bond is ever a dog's fault; a dog is going to be the dog they are going to be, based on their genetics and life experiences. You, as the human, made the choice to bring that dog into your life. You mold their experiences. I would hope the choice was made with as much thought and research as possible.

That being said, I've read through the thread, and not once did I disagree with what has been shared by anyone else. Life happens; genetics can be a lottery; breed traits can be more visible in some puppies than others.

U-CH Rocket - BN RN CAA TT CGC TDI
Ruby - CD RA CGC
MBIMBS U-CH Poison
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach