Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-07-2013, 04:29 PM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default Contact equipment

I know a similar question has been asked before (or several times) but I am looking into buying some of my own agility contacts and I have questions.

For those who own their own contact equipment where did you buy them? What did you buy first? How are they holding up to the weather? What would you do differently if you could? How you keep them safest in the elements?

Any other tips?

Denis is great at building as well but I'm just not sure if it's smartest to buy?
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-07-2013, 05:57 PM
SaraB SaraB is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 5,737
Default

My husband builds all of my stuff. I tried to make some 2x2 weaves once, ya that was a failure. So he welded me a new set. The only thing I've bought is the tunnel and that was purchased used from a friend.

You could contact different training schools to see if they have anything they are selling. A lot cheaper that way.
__________________


Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Beanie's Avatar
Beanie Beanie is offline
Clicker Cult Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,521
Default

I built mine with my dad.
My a-frame is a mini, each side is only 6 foot rather than 9 foot. My teeter we are still working on but it's full size. I have yet to decide if I want to build a full-size dogwalk or if I want to make it a bit shorter (height-wise; the length will be AKC regulation) as well.

The a-frame is I think four years old and it has been fine so far, but when I got it out this year I noticed it's starting to get soft. I apparently did not completely paint all the edges, so where I didn't paint, water has gotten in and started to rot it. I'm not sure if I can just coat it with a liquid wood hardener or if we will need to build another one. When I pointed it out to my dad, he said he didn't think we used treated for it, but I can't figure out why we wouldn't have - that a-frame was never intended to be anywhere but outside, and has never BEEN anywhere but outside... but anyway.



With building versus buying you're looking at a handful of things, the first of which is it will be WAY CHEAPER to build than to buy!
If you build you are basically going to be working with treated lumber. My a-frame, smaller than regulation size though it is, is REALLY HEAVY, big, and awkward. I interacted with one full-size made of treated and holy balls. Two people can move it... but. holy. balls.
The a-frame is the worst offender though when it comes to size and weight though. The teeter and dog walk (when torn down) basically consist of long planks. They will be awkward to move, but one person could reasonably handle it, and they won't be insanely heavy.

As far as texture goes when you build it yourself, you're looking at the sand and paint option, buying rubberized skins, or kits like the Contact-a-Coat ones. Obviously sand and paint is way cheaper, but so many clubs now have gone to rubberized skins, and the textures definitely feel differently to dogs. Auggie had an adjustment period of three or four trials after places started using rubberized contacts. I have a travel plank I bought in Louisville for $40 that is rubberized - it's not really useful for much except getting the dogs used to the texture, maybe for some 2o2o proofing? I definitely can't afford rubber skins and even the Contact-a-Coat is just... a bit pricy... so that's pretty much what I have to deal with.


When you buy you're usually getting aluminum frame with a wood top, better for sitting out in the elements and definitely lighter. If I were buying I would expect to buy rubberized... a bit silly to invest that much and have it NOT be rubberized (especially since I have heard rumblings that the AKC may go to requiring rubberized.)


For me I just can't afford to buy. If I could, I totally would... it would be lighter and also way faster than trying to build something with my dad LOL. But it's so expensive, and I know we can build stuff ourselves even if it does take a while, so we build instead.
__________________


Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-07-2013, 06:02 PM
SaraB SaraB is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 5,737
Default

Ya, I'd really like an a-frame but I move my equipment myself and there's no way I can move an a-frame by myself. Even at work, I need to have someone there to help me move it. The one time I attempted it by myself I almost tipped the whole dang thing over.

I didn't see the how they hold up to weather comment. We used treated lumber with outdoor paint and it's holds up nicely! The teeter frame is made out of pvc and is light weight and easy to move.
__________________


Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-07-2013, 06:08 PM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

Are you willing to share the specs on the items he built (I'll pay you if they're original)? Denis might be able to make them for me, I just wasn't sure if that is a better choice or not.
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-07-2013, 07:55 PM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I built mine with my dad.
My a-frame is a mini, each side is only 6 foot rather than 9 foot. My teeter we are still working on but it's full size. I have yet to decide if I want to build a full-size dogwalk or if I want to make it a bit shorter (height-wise; the length will be AKC regulation) as well.

The a-frame is I think four years old and it has been fine so far, but when I got it out this year I noticed it's starting to get soft. I apparently did not completely paint all the edges, so where I didn't paint, water has gotten in and started to rot it. I'm not sure if I can just coat it with a liquid wood hardener or if we will need to build another one. When I pointed it out to my dad, he said he didn't think we used treated for it, but I can't figure out why we wouldn't have - that a-frame was never intended to be anywhere but outside, and has never BEEN anywhere but outside... but anyway.



With building versus buying you're looking at a handful of things, the first of which is it will be WAY CHEAPER to build than to buy!
If you build you are basically going to be working with treated lumber. My a-frame, smaller than regulation size though it is, is REALLY HEAVY, big, and awkward. I interacted with one full-size made of treated and holy balls. Two people can move it... but. holy. balls.
The a-frame is the worst offender though when it comes to size and weight though. The teeter and dog walk (when torn down) basically consist of long planks. They will be awkward to move, but one person could reasonably handle it, and they won't be insanely heavy.

As far as texture goes when you build it yourself, you're looking at the sand and paint option, buying rubberized skins, or kits like the Contact-a-Coat ones. Obviously sand and paint is way cheaper, but so many clubs now have gone to rubberized skins, and the textures definitely feel differently to dogs. Auggie had an adjustment period of three or four trials after places started using rubberized contacts. I have a travel plank I bought in Louisville for $40 that is rubberized - it's not really useful for much except getting the dogs used to the texture, maybe for some 2o2o proofing? I definitely can't afford rubber skins and even the Contact-a-Coat is just... a bit pricy... so that's pretty much what I have to deal with.


When you buy you're usually getting aluminum frame with a wood top, better for sitting out in the elements and definitely lighter. If I were buying I would expect to buy rubberized... a bit silly to invest that much and have it NOT be rubberized (especially since I have heard rumblings that the AKC may go to requiring rubberized.)


For me I just can't afford to buy. If I could, I totally would... it would be lighter and also way faster than trying to build something with my dad LOL. But it's so expensive, and I know we can build stuff ourselves even if it does take a while, so we build instead.
I didn't see this when I responded, Thank you! This is helpful.

I worry this design looks tip-able. What do you guys think? http://www.caninecrib.com/dog/training/teeter-board.asp
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Shai's Avatar
Shai Shai is offline
& the Muttly Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Ya, I'd really like an a-frame but I move my equipment myself and there's no way I can move an a-frame by myself. Even at work, I need to have someone there to help me move it. The one time I attempted it by myself I almost tipped the whole dang thing over.
You need one with built-in wheels like mine

Mine has aluminum with sand/paint. It's holding up well. Purchased used from the local club.
__________________

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-07-2013, 08:48 PM
crazedACD crazedACD is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 2,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I didn't see this when I responded, Thank you! This is helpful.

I worry this design looks tip-able. What do you guys think? http://www.caninecrib.com/dog/training/teeter-board.asp
I don't know much about building stuff but I would probably find a way to anchor the base or use sand bags.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Beanie's Avatar
Beanie Beanie is offline
Clicker Cult Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,521
Default

These are the teeter plans we are using:
http://www.wikihow.com/Build-an-Adju...Agility-Seesaw

The PVC ones are lovely being that they are lightweight and super easy and all that, but I definitely worry about them not being sturdy enough. I could fill the PVC pipes with sand to make it heavier, use sandbags to hold it down...
OR I could just build it out of wood and not have to worry about it.


Here's a nice a-frame plan, and if you scroll down to the bottom you can see a picture of somebody who hinged it better/more safely:
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-...ility-A-Frame/
If Denis is handy he can probably figure out what to do from those photos.
__________________


Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-08-2013, 01:52 PM
adojrts's Avatar
adojrts adojrts is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,089
Default

I would recommend adjustable for all equipment, wood is cheapest but rots for the frame (frame as in the structure not the aframe), steel is cheap and most places use 1 inch with gussets for extra support. Aluminum is by far the lightest but expensive.
Rubberized is nice but very expensive, if I had to chose to rubberize one it would be the teeter, cheapest to do as well.

Use primer or marine grade plywood and don't leave it out in snow. My equipment never saw snow or was left out during the winter. My surface lasted for over 10 yrs before going soft and having to be replaced.

I had an awesome grip on all my contact equipment, even and thick with no sharp edges. I laid the piece flat, primed it, then painted, let dry, painted again with a thicker coat and then put sand blasting sand on it an inch thick to dry for several days. The sand blasting sand can be purchased at any automotive supply store and it is cheap (under $10.00). One bag will easily do all contact equipment and it gives a smooth thick grip over playground or beach sand. Once it has dried, I use a soft brush to remove the excess sand and then paint again for the final coat.

Finding good used agility equipment is difficult here, I recently sold mine (being replaced with aluminum adjustable rubberized equipment) and it sold within 1 day.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site