Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-16-2013, 07:55 AM
Are you dead yet?

Insecure girls with body issues are getting the same awful message - that they have to fit within a certain size range in order to be attractive and acceptable in society - from a myriad of sources. Seriously, it's ALL AROUND US that thin is pretty and being pretty is the only way to have friends and be loved. I just don't understand why Abercrombie is being singled out as a powerful driving force in this situation. All of the entertainment/fashion industry glorifies a certain appearance, yet a clothing company is taking major heat for catering to people whose bodies fit that ideal?

Abercrombie's marketing ploy, the claim that they only cater to the cool, attractive kids, is being eaten up as they want it to be. Self-absorbed people will pat themselves on the back for wearing that brand, perpetuating the delusion that they are part of some elite clothing clique. Tryhard teenagers will continue to try hard to purge their insecurities through a label on their pants. People want that exclusivity so badly that they will pay stupid prices for a middle-of-the-road product, simply to feel like they're the kind of person that "belongs in those clothes". Heh.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

But it's not just about sizes. It's about being a type. Being attractive. The kid who has acne, a crooked nose, big ears... Etc. Sure, in the end he can do what he wants. Obviously he is doing fine. But I think it's good that people take a stand against a bully and spread awareness. How else would anything ever get changed?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I'm curious how much people are paying attention. I told Denis this yesterday and he burst out laughing saying if it took the CEOs statement to tell you the company policy you've not been paying attention, this from a guy who's never even thought to look into the store.

Is it really about the store or his statement?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:49 AM
Kung Pow Fish

"debacle" is right

thats all i have to say
Old 05-16-2013, 09:04 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
But it's not just about sizes. It's about being a type. Being attractive. The kid who has acne, a crooked nose, big ears... Etc. Sure, in the end he can do what he wants. Obviously he is doing fine. But I think it's good that people take a stand against a bully and spread awareness. How else would anything ever get changed?
This.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 05-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I agree 100% with this. Who cares about what sizes the store has.... But it's this bullying, elitist attitude that I find disgusting. These days I have no patience for people behaving like that when we should be working on acceptance throughout our society and not single people out.
Exactly. I understand I'm not going to fit into the sizes at every store, and I'm okay with that.

I'm only 5'2" and if I don't buy something in "short" or "petite," dresses and pants are generally too long for me. Express is one of those stores where I've never been able to get pants/skirts/dresses from. I don't care that they cater towards taller girls/women. It can feel implied that their clothing is designed for a more "model" type body- tall and thin, and that's totally fine.

If they released a statement saying that short girls are uncool/ugly/don't deserve their clothing and they only make them for tall people to keep short girls out, I'd feel the same way.

We know that Abercrombie's clothing cuts off at size 10. Nothing wrong with that. But then the CEO says:

“A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong.”

“Abercrombie is only interested in people with washboard stomachs who look like they’re about to jump on a surfboard”

“I don’t want our core customers to see people who aren’t as hot as them wearing our clothing.”

So... everyone over a size 10 is automatically not as hot as the people under a size 10. Offensive to me, and I'm a size 2.

“In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids.”

And he adds...

“Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong”

So, you're only hot and cool if you can fit into a size 10 or smaller. My issue with this company is bullying. We all know that Abercrombie only carries smaller sizes. We know the market is for preppy teenagers. We know it used to be one of the "cool" brands. None of it becomes bullying until those statements made by the CEO. You're fat, ugly, and uncool and aren't welcome in our store because we don't want the "cool" kids to even be associated with you.

Abercrombie's target market is the 14-22 year old crowd. Of course, this is the group with the highest amount of body image issues. Puberty, dating, dealing with cliques and groups, and the need to "fit in" are all major issues with this age group. They don't need to hear this crap. They don't need to read this article and feel worse when they're being teased by a "cool" kid in an A&F shirt.

If Abercrombie went out of business, it would be one less crappy company out there getting our money.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 05-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Glutton for Crazy

So it's the statement not the store?

Old 05-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
So it's the statement not the store?
The CEO's message and vision travel down from the top of the company to the managers at the stores. You're working for a guy who doesn't want the "uncool" in his stores, so you're going to either have to keep it that way or not get paid.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 05-16-2013, 09:33 AM
Will Creep For Sheep

When I was in school, I was always popular, I always had friends. I have never been skinny, so I really don't get the idea that everyone who is cool is thin, lol. Whatever, again, this guy is just another jerk who called me fat- but I do hope his comments don't hurt anyone else. I remember how fragile I was in high school- that is a rough time- and I certainly thought if I was skinny my problems would magically go away.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:38 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
The CEO's message and vision travel down from the top of the company to the managers at the stores. You're working for a guy who doesn't want the "uncool" in his stores, so you're going to either have to keep it that way or not get paid.
My confusion is slightly, why now then? I mean its a common known fact this company has always been like this and many others share in elitist and often times cruel marketing ploys. So, is it the public statement? Would it be okay if he didn't voice this?

I don't mean this as confrontational at all, it's genuine intrigue and the belief that this isn't a new found mission for the company.