Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-15-2013, 08:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
Coming from a fat girl, I don't care. Really. I don't care that they don't have plus sizes, their clothes are so not my style anyways. I don't even really care that the guy is a huge gigantic douche, because he is so horrifically unattractive that I can't help but laugh at him calling other people unattractive. To me, it is just a "wow, what an a-hole" not a "OMG I am SO offended and I will picket outside A&F!".

I will always be fat, I am happy the way I am, and no one can ever make me believe otherwise. If someone judges me for that, it is THEIR problem, not mine. Some people can't handle the idea that not everyone in the world wishes they were thin and popular
I'm in the same boat. I agree, he's a total asshole. And it's sad that people like him are rich and famous. And I won't support the company.

But I never did. I don't like the clothes. (I'm not a billboard.) I don't like the 'type' of people that go there. And the stores always creeped me out. It's dark and smells like Axe body spray.

I'm upset but not raging. Similar to the Chick Fil A thing. (Although to me, that was MUCH better than this situation.) It's the CEO's opinion, not the people working there.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Vizsla mom

I think it's just as awful to say you don't like the 'type' of people that go there as it is to say you hate fat people ..
Old 05-15-2013, 11:08 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
I think it's just as awful to say you don't like the 'type' of people that go there as it is to say you hate fat people ..
I don't know... I don' see it as the same thing. I'm probably biased somewhat but the kids that wore Abercrombie or Hollister when I was in high school were also a lot of the bullies. The people that made fun of my friends... When I think of A&F those are the people I think of. The same way Hot Topic reminds me of the goths and the stoners.

Does that mean that ALL people who shopped there were that way? Heck no, but I can see why something like that would cause people to have a negative reaction towards the brand.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:32 PM
Top Dog

I don't find obese people attractive. I don't find super skinny people attractive. I don't find girls with bleach blonde hair attractive. These are all preferences. This dude doesn't think fat/large people are attractive and doesn't want the company HE OWNS to market to them. I honestly don't see an issue with it. It's his company and he can do whatever he wants with it and market to whatever demographic he pleases. Is he being kind of an ass about it? Sure. But it's his company and his preference and he has a right to that.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 05-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
I don't find obese people attractive. I don't find super skinny people attractive. I don't find girls with bleach blonde hair attractive. These are all preferences. This dude doesn't think fat/large people are attractive and doesn't want the company HE OWNS to market to them. I honestly don't see an issue with it. It's his company and he can do whatever he wants with it and market to whatever demographic he pleases. Is he being kind of an ass about it? Sure. But it's his company and his preference and he has a right to that.
I didn't see anyone saying that he didn't have the right to his opinions and marketing strategies? However, consumers also have the right to find it appalling and respond accordingly...

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:08 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
Not at all. People who shop at the store have similar personality or fashion sense or whatever... something in common about their character. Or else they all wouldn't like the same clothes.

Being overweight has nothing to do with one's character, so personality wise they have nothing in common. There's no common link they share, since people can be overweight for so many reasons.

I don't think that even made sense :-/ tried to edit to make it make sense, and it didn't work. LOL

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-16-2013, 12:52 AM
Top Dog

For me...it's not about not carrying the sizes, it's not about his personal opinion or preferences, or his marketing strategies. I don't even think it's about 'fat chicks'. It's comments like these that bother me:
Quote:
“In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids,” he told the site. “Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely. Those companies that are in trouble are trying to target everybody: young, old, fat, skinny. But then you become totally vanilla. You don’t alienate anybody, but you don’t excite anybody, either,” he told Salon.
In a time when people are concerned about bullying, being more aware of teen suicide, drug abuse, eating disorders, etc etc...why would he even make a statement like that? He hopes to exclude kids from part of his brand, so they can be more excluded in school? I think he is out of touch.

I'm out of school about seven or eight years now, but even when I was in school, the whole being really popular thing wasn't very much a 'thing'. There were people that had a lot of friends, and people that grouped together because of sports, but there wasn't an unhealthy divide. There was definitely the occasional kid that had a rough time, but not to the extreme. My sister is a sophomore now and is a healthy weight, she is pretty, and I don't hear her talk about the 'nerds' or anything like that. I really hope he hasn't affected kids with his comments, because they 'can't belong'. :/

Old 05-16-2013, 06:58 AM
Are you dead yet?

I haven't read through this thread so apologies if I'm repeating what someone else has already stated - but HELLO? Why should this even matter to people? The fact that people are so up in arms over this CEO's "no fat chicks" policy just screams to me that fat chicks want to wear Abercrombie and are pissed that they can't!

I hate the brand, but this guy's attitude isn't why. If you want overpriced, preppy-trend clothing of mediocre quality, there are PLENTY of other stores that sell what you're looking for in a size larger than 10.

I don't give two shits what these people have to say about fat people. And I'm not a skinny girl trying to look down on fat people, here. I've been fat for years. I think I'm pretty baller at a size fourteen/sixteen, I thought I was pretty baller at a size 22, and I'll be the same badass at a size six/eight when I get there. If a store doesn't carry my size, I don't get mad. I look for a similar item elsewhere, or online. If all I'm looking to do is wear a brand, and the brand doesn't manufacture my size, there's always accessories!

So quit bein' mad, offended fat chicks, and don't **** and moan about shitty clothes. Oh, you're gonna boycott A&F? You weren't able to fit into their clothes to begin with, so when exactly were you shopping there? You're spending the SAME ZERO DOLLARS at A&F, except now you're red-faced and frothing, shouting it from your soapbox - and it's doing nothing for your agenda, whatever that may be.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Just try me..

RD no one, here or elsewhere, have I read that people want him to make them in larger sizes.

Its the message to people that you have to be thin to be popular and cool. Like you I don't care for me, I am pretty awesome and it has nothing to do with my looks. However there are enough girls out there who do have body issues, who do think... if only I was X then Y would be better.

Read some of the people who have worked there's posts. This attitude isn't just the one man, its all the way down through the company. THAT is where the real issue lies.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
For me...it's not about not carrying the sizes, it's not about his personal opinion or preferences, or his marketing strategies. I don't even think it's about 'fat chicks'. It's comments like these that bother me:

In a time when people are concerned about bullying, being more aware of teen suicide, drug abuse, eating disorders, etc etc...why would he even make a statement like that? He hopes to exclude kids from part of his brand, so they can be more excluded in school? I think he is out of touch.

I'm out of school about seven or eight years now, but even when I was in school, the whole being really popular thing wasn't very much a 'thing'. There were people that had a lot of friends, and people that grouped together because of sports, but there wasn't an unhealthy divide. There was definitely the occasional kid that had a rough time, but not to the extreme. My sister is a sophomore now and is a healthy weight, she is pretty, and I don't hear her talk about the 'nerds' or anything like that. I really hope he hasn't affected kids with his comments, because they 'can't belong'. :/
I agree 100% with this. Who cares about what sizes the store has.... But it's this bullying, elitist attitude that I find disgusting. These days I have no patience for people behaving like that when we should be working on acceptance throughout our society and not single people out.