Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-15-2013, 01:56 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I'm heavy... I've been obese and right now I am working to take control of my fitness and my health. I will never be skinny though. I'm just not built that way. Even if I get down to solid muscle head to toe I won't be thin, I will always have broad shoulders and wide hips.

I can't actually say that I really noticed a big difference in the way people treated me when I was a size 22-24 and now at a size 14. I never felt like people were looking at me like "OMG look at that fat chick." Maybe they were and I just never cared to notice. Even at my heaviest I was still engaging people with a Smile or a Hello and people responded in kind and it's the same way I feel people respond now.

BUT I know people have some serious body image issues.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a company marketing towards a certain demographic whether it be plus sized clothing or regular sized clothing (although I am mad that Lane Bryant doesn't carry bras under a size 38 LOL I LIKE THEIR BRAS and don't want to get a different brand)

BUT... this guy is just a petty bully and bullying should not be tolerated. it shouldn't be treated as "well, he's just an opinion so lets go on our merry way". Now I don't think we need to go picketing his stores or anything but I see nothing wrong with the public outrage against a bully. I wish more people would be vocal about bullying being wrong and maybe our kids in school wouldn't be expected to put up with being tortured by bullies.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 05-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Top Dog

I guess I just see this as marketing with some arrogance mixed in. When you're selling something you're supposed to have a target. He's made his very specific. Is he reinforcing cliquishness? no doubt, but making your product exclusive is old news and I don't think it's bullying. It isn't like they're making advertisements with A&F dressed kids laughing at an overweight person.

Especially this bit:
Quote:
"Are we exclusionary? Absolutely. Those companies that are in trouble are trying to target everybody: young, old, fat, skinny. But then you become totally vanilla. You don't alienate anybody, but you don't excite anybody, either."
That to me is pretty overtly a description of how to successfully market a product (in his eyes). Too broad a target and your stuff doesn't grab people. You don't alienate any market (which is good), but you don't excite your target (which is more important).

MANY clubs and restaurants also try to be exclusive and will cater to a very specific "type" of person, but most people don't see that as bullying, do they?

As a side note, I love how in the video the guy goes and buys A&F apparel to give to overweight people. Way to do them a huge favor lol. Hopefully they can trade it for something that fits them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
I always have a hard time finding pants in my size- 2 short. I can't shop at SO many stores because they cater to tall people! American Eagle has been my go-to. I used to get most of my jeans at Abercrombie back in high school/college, and I still occasionally wear their jeans that I have in my closet.
I find the opposite! I see more short and petite than I do tall/long/plus. AE 12 or 14 long is my go-to!
Old 05-15-2013, 04:00 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post

As a side note, I love how in the video the guy goes and buys A&F apparel to give to overweight people. Way to do them a huge favor lol. Hopefully they can trade it for something that fits them.

I find the opposite! I see more short and petite than I do tall/long/plus. AE 12 or 14 long is my go-to!
We aren't going to agree and that's fine. I don't really feel so strongly about it that I want to sit here and debate for an hour about it lol.

but did you watch the video? The guy went to Goodwill and bought A&F stuff and gave it to homeless people, not overweight people.

I am right at that awkward height where petites are a little too short and regulars are too long I don't want to hem everything lol can't there be something in between? I can't SEW you know These sizes are biased against women who are not handy with a sewing machine ad are too lazy to take them to someone else

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 05-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
I can't SEW you know These sizes are biased against women who are not handy with a sewing machine ad are too lazy to take them to someone else
You need my other half. He sews all the things. He is very very very handy, I am very spoilt and he fixes everything, including sewing my clothes if they need it :P
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Top Dog

Is anyone actually upset that they aren't selling the bigger sizes? That's not what I'm seeing as a complaint, and I couldn't care less. I don't care if some stores want to sell only tiny sizes, or only plus sizes, or only extra long. If he came out and said "We only sell through size 10 women's clothes because our clothes are styled for people of that size", I'd be fine with it.

What bothers me about the whole thing is the statement that you can't be a cool kid or a popular kid if you are over size 10. That the value of the kid decreases if they are bigger than that.

The guy is clearly a jerk. I almost choked reading the lawsuit that mentioned the clothing requirements for the staff on his jet. In case you didn't click the link:
Quote:
"Male [model] flight crew are told to present themselves clean shaven in a uniform of Abercrombie polo shirts, boxer briefs, flip-flops and gloves (black for when handling silverware and white for laying the table) ... and [wearing] a "spritz" of the retailer's own brand aftershave."
I kind of feel bad for the guy, because I expect he got bullied horribly when he was younger.

Weight is the one of the last socially acceptable prejudices. You can't get away with openly judging people based on gender, sexual orientation, or race anymore, at least in most places. But it's still all cool to hate fat people. Humans need someone to hate.

I don't think being angry about this changes much, but I also am not going to not be angry because of it. It's appalling behavior.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Top Dog

Frankly, I'm more upset about the #fitchthehomeless project than the CEO. Is anyone surprised? Marketing to attractive, cool people has been their obvious strategy for years. They don't make plus sized clothes, that's clearly a deliberate decision.

But giving A&F clothes to homeless people to devalue the brand is supporting the same oppressive worldview. We're supposed to picture that CEO crying up in his gold coin swimming pool "Ohhhh, all those dirty bums wearing my clooooooothes!"

Because the homeless aren't attractive or cool. Or people.

It's about making privileged people feel good, not about delivering actual aid to the homeless. Watch that guy in the video, he barely makes eye contact with anyone, let alone talk to them. He just hands them a pair of pants and keeps walking. What's a homeless person going to do with $200 jeans that are already ripped up?
Old 05-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Top Dog

I actually did watch the video lol ...without watching it again, some of the homeless people he gave the clothes to looked large to me. I suppose most still benefited and perhaps the larger people could trade the clothes, but I dunno... giving a homeless person something they can't use to make a feel-good video kinda rubs me the wrong way, makes his "charity" thing seem slightly disingenuous... but maybe I'm just being a sourpuss lol.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
What bothers me about the whole thing is the statement that you can't be a cool kid or a popular kid if you are over size 10. That the value of the kid decreases if they are bigger than that.
this is what I have been saying (else where)

I am fine with him not making clothes that fit larger people. And the burning of clothes is pretty standard in 'designer' lines (not that thiers really are) so its a waste but what ever.

But how cool or popular, or smart or what ever you are ends up having not much to do with how large you are. I knew many a skinny un popular person as well as large popular people. Trying to sell the message that your personal worth or likability is tied to something as superficial as your looks is just deplorable

Last edited by Dekka; 05-15-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Top Dog

I have no care and no issue that they don't/won't make plus size clothing. Oh well. Get over it. Go to another store. I don't walk into a plus sized store yelling and screaming that they don't make MY size. Or way back when while Hot Topic was only appealing to goths. Goes both ways, and all ways. Everyone will always be judged for SOMETHING. That's just how society works, and people are going to market to whatever they like. Tall, small, thin, thick, goth, prep, whatever.

If I have an issue with a company, it isn't going to be that.

Everything else though, like the hateful comments and shitty values, yeah, douche canoe company.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Coming from a fat girl, I don't care. Really. I don't care that they don't have plus sizes, their clothes are so not my style anyways. I don't even really care that the guy is a huge gigantic douche, because he is so horrifically unattractive that I can't help but laugh at him calling other people unattractive. To me, it is just a "wow, what an a-hole" not a "OMG I am SO offended and I will picket outside A&F!".

I will always be fat, I am happy the way I am, and no one can ever make me believe otherwise. If someone judges me for that, it is THEIR problem, not mine. Some people can't handle the idea that not everyone in the world wishes they were thin and popular

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?