Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I agree with these posts. (We really need to argue soon. Lets talk cold, I hate the cold.)

They haven't been a skyrocketing company for a long time, unless I am misremembering, and I am having a hard time believing this is why. It's a shift in whats cool and to be totally honest I think it has far less to do with being a "fat kid hater" than we'd like to believe.

Toms are cool, I sadly do not believe they are cool because they donate shoes.

I guess I don't share the communal faith in teen morality.
I agree that it hasn't been "cool" for a long time. I think this is just going to put the nail on the coffin. Seeing this CEO isn't going to make teens think "he's so cool! I want to be just like him!"

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I own a ton of AA stuff, it's almost all sorority gear though. We used them a lot because they have extreme customizing ability and offer shirts that are neither skin tight nor boxy.

That said they were never a pleasure to work with as a company and we were always seeking an alternative.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:40 AM
such sights to show you

Maybe I'm just too old and have been too fat for so long that any one particular dude's comments roll off of me. I just feel like, "Ok, fine, another guy who hates fat chicks, *yawn* news at 11. Where are the companies that use fat old chicks in their advertising so I can buy from them?"

Old 05-15-2013, 09:41 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
I agree with these posts. (We really need to argue soon. Lets talk cold, I hate the cold.)
You are dead to me.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

It makes me really sad that it is accepted as normal for people to openly "hate fat chicks."

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
I own a ton of AA stuff, it's almost all sorority gear though. We used them a lot because they have extreme customizing ability and offer shirts that are neither skin tight nor boxy.

That said they were never a pleasure to work with as a company and we were always seeking an alternative.
Yeah, I've done custom shirts printed on their blanks before. I think those are the only AA things I own.

I guess I'm just more familiar with Abercrombie as a brand.

Abercrombie has been going downhill in a while. Sure, one company going under isn't going to solve the big picture... but it's one less sleazy store to deal with.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:46 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
It makes me really sad that it is accepted as normal for people to openly "hate fat chicks."
Well I'm not a fan of it either, but... it is what it is. That's what the objective standard of beauty is all about.

As more unconventionally attractive people creep into media of all types, I think it will change. But just like any deeply held stereotype, it will take time and people being brave enough to openly say "hey I actually like fat chicks." A show like "Girls", for all its flaws, is doing more for changing the perception of overweight women as attractive, sexual people than all the Abercrombie rage the internet can muster.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
What bothers me about focusing the anger on a single man or company is that I get a feeling that if Abercrombie goes down, then... "YAY WE WON" when really... no, Abercrombie is just a small fish in a big ocean.

But it's a start. And could pave the way. Why not get fired up about it, and aim high.

One down, the rest will follow!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
But it's a start. And could pave the way. Why not get fired up about it, and aim high.

One down, the rest will follow!
Exactly!

The way Abercrombie treats people DOES make me mad. I've seen it first hand due to working there, and it isn't right. Of course there are a LOT of things wrong with the world. Taking down Abercrombie won't solve everything...

...but it's one less sleaze ball company with a douche canoe CEO in the world.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Top Dog

I don't agree with the attitude of "omg, I know people don't like fat girls, but you can't just say that out loud". Saying it out loud is important, because it shows that people do actually feel this way and they are jerks and it's not just "the way things are" naturally.

People get offended by this jerk opening his mouth and being a blatant dick, but what this guy's saying isn't changing anything, at least not for the worse. It's way, way, way more disturbing that this company has used these marketing strategies for so long, and they've worked. They probably don't even think about it...I don't think very many people consciously think "I want to shop at Abercrombie because ugly people aren't allowed to work there and they don't carry sizes for bigger people, so I shop there it means I'm pretty and thin". They just do it. Because the whole big picture looks cool, the ads look "cool", and very few companies (who aren't trying to make a statement) are ever going to use non-mainstream looking models to advertise because it just won't work as well.

Also...Abercrombie and Fitch clothing has been around for probably over 100 years? And as far as I know from the 50s and 60s they've marketed like this. So I don't know that it's a trend that's on it's way down. If the company does go under, it's either because of terribly poor management OR because society is starting to realize what's wrong with having a clothing line that tries to create an elite group of people.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com