Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Squishy face

Default Reccomendations for good soaps and lotions?

So I have really dry skin, I may even have eczema some places, but I've never been officially diagnosed. I was wondering if any of you know of any really good lotions and good soaps for skin that is very dry and itchy all the time? So far Aveeno is the best I've found. I use Dove Sensitive Skin bar soap, but that doesn't really help much.

Thanks for any and all advice!

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Chihuahua Power!

I really like Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps.

http://www.drbronner.com/

I have sensitive skin that can get dry, and I've found these to be the best.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 05-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
I really like Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps.

http://www.drbronner.com/

I have sensitive skin that can get dry, and I've found these to be the best.
Yeah... I looked at these once. Couldn't get past the weird religious mumbo jumbo written all over the bottles.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:00 PM
<(<) <()> (>)>

If things get really bad I usually use Weleda's skin food - it's kind of pricey, but I LOVE it. Works great for me

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlineACDs View Post
Yeah... I looked at these once. Couldn't get past the weird religious mumbo jumbo written all over the bottles.
In case you're curious - the maker of that soap's parents were killed in the holocaust. He tried to get them to leave Germany with him, but they refused. The last he heard from his parents was a postcard from his father that simply said "you were right."

The labels are a statement against government censorship....the moment Bronner isn't allowed to put what he puts on his labels anymore is when we'll know government censorship is getting out of control (his theory).

The "religious mumbo jumbo" is tidbits from works associated with many different religions, as well as quotes from some famous novels and poems.

He also may have been schizophrenic, I'm not sure about that but I know he's been hospitalized and received shock treatments.

There's a documentary on him that came out ten years after his death, and his family (who runs the company) has stated they will not change the labels until the government requires them to do so.

As for soap - try African Black Soap. I recently bought some, and my skin hasn't changed, but my skin isn't sensitive or dry to being with. It's made my hair way softer, though.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Behavior Nerd

I've recently started using jojoba oil after a shower and I love it - totally cleared up dry skin on my arms after one application and it seems to cut down on post shave itchies, too.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

I have eczema and psoriasis and for lotion I use Apres Ski Green Beaver Boreal Body lotion. I also use 100% Shea butter on my eczema spots and it goes away in a few days. You could also use it on your whole face before bed, I do that as well.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 05-13-2013, 01:35 PM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
In case you're curious - the maker of that soap's parents were killed in the holocaust. He tried to get them to leave Germany with him, but they refused. The last he heard from his parents was a postcard from his father that simply said "you were right."

The labels are a statement against government censorship....the moment Bronner isn't allowed to put what he puts on his labels anymore is when we'll know government censorship is getting out of control (his theory).

The "religious mumbo jumbo" is tidbits from works associated with many different religions, as well as quotes from some famous novels and poems.

He also may have been schizophrenic, I'm not sure about that but I know he's been hospitalized and received shock treatments.

There's a documentary on him that came out ten years after his death, and his family (who runs the company) has stated they will not change the labels until the government requires them to do so.

As for soap - try African Black Soap. I recently bought some, and my skin hasn't changed, but my skin isn't sensitive or dry to being with. It's made my hair way softer, though.
Interesting. Thanks for the background story. I picked up a bottle in Target and was trying to read it, but honestly, the words seemed all jumbled and odd. Like excerpts from this or that, and they didn't really go together. Not saying it's a bad product, I just thought, "wow.. weird".

But, I am glad to have the background story. Pretty neat.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Kung Pow Fish

I like Bronner soaps also, but my lotion is either just straight coconut oil (dont laugh lol) or Pure and Basic Wild Banana Vanilla lotion
Old 05-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

I should add I only use products that are as natural and organic as possible, If a product has perfume or fragrance in it, it never, ever goes on my body. Essential oils are fine.

Right now I have been using Pure reedy Eczema and Psoriasis salve along with my Shea butter, it has been working really well.

I also put nature Aid on my face once a day.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff