Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-12-2013, 12:58 AM
Jerk.

I blame Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 05-12-2013, 01:46 AM
Top Dog

Caffeine IS a drug, and yes, you can definitely get addicted! My mum was addicted to it for years. I've been briefly addicted (that insane dogsitting stint with a fridge FULL of diet coke...like, FULL. That was the only thing in there, and it was FULL). I actually used excedrin to get off of it. It has caffeine, and it battles the headaches that come with caffeine withdrawal. Then you just lower the dose slowly.

FWIW Coke does come in a caffeine-free version. I prefer caffeine-free diet if I'm going to drink soda.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:21 AM
Top Dog

Yep, I want through the same thing, now I only drink the caffeine free diet coke or Pepsi, and we picked up a soda stream machine this week and they have a caffeine free one as well, so now I drink that.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:29 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
You can get caffeine free diet coke. I know that animal exists.
But is it sold anywhere outside of Utah?
Old 05-12-2013, 03:04 AM
*Now with Snark*

They sell it at the local walmart. O.o I drink the fully leaded/sugared/caffeined stuff myself. Riding that red bottled devil to the grave.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:21 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
But is it sold anywhere outside of Utah?
I'm in Canada, I can't get cherry diet Pepsi or coke but I sure can get the caffeine free diet Pepsi or coke.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:53 AM
Top Dog

Caffeine IS a drug, and it's one with typically much more serious physical withdrawal symptoms than plenty of illegal or Rx drugs, so it's not just possible, but very likely, to get addicted to it, both physically and mentally.

Aside from that, the sugar it's self in most soda is "addicting" in that it will cause you to crave sugar if you cut it out. I have no idea about diet sodas, but plenty of ingredients in them are (or used to be) banned in other countries, so it wouldn't surprise me.

I'd start by weaning yourself off the caffeine - even though soda doesn't have much, if you don't drink caffeine typically it will be enough to affect you. You can go cold turkey, but you'll have a headache and feel terrible for a day or three, like hungover even. I'd replace the sugar craving by eating a piece of fruit or something, or even a protein snack (some nuts, cheese, yogurt, turkey slices) when you get a craving for it.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-12-2013, 04:12 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Yes, yes, yes and YES!!!

Its chock full of horrid chemicals!!!! I go through phases of drinking it, its sooooo bad for you though!!

And yes its addictive, and yes it can cause nasty side effects. The aspartame is particularly bad and linked to all kinds of nasty stuff.

I still like a can though. Woe is me.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Are you dead yet?

Your body can grow to depend on caffeine, which is kind of irritating to kick. I'm in this boat right now. I kicked the soda, but I take caffeine pills and when I go off them for a day or two, I get nasty headaches and fatigue.

Other than the physical dependency with the caffeine, I think soda addiction is really just a mental thing. Like I'm addicted to chicken salad or almonds or something. It's one of those things that's hard to use self control with - I know if I get a 12 pack of diet soda it'll be gone within a few days, so I just stopped buying it.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Other than the physical dependency with the caffeine, I think soda addiction is really just a mental thing. Like I'm addicted to chicken salad or almonds or something. It's one of those things that's hard to use self control with - I know if I get a 12 pack of diet soda it'll be gone within a few days, so I just stopped buying it.
This. Caffeine addiction is absolutely real. I used to always, always drink one Coke a day, and would wind up dealing with headaches all day if I didn't have at least some of one by 11 o'clock. I completely kicked caffeine (other than what is in some foods) for several months at one point. The first five days or so were miserable, but after that, my "cravings" for Coke were just like my cravings for ice cream or popcorn or anything else. Incredible cravings, but not "addiction".

I finally, at the age of 33, have turned to coffee instead of soda, thanks to my boss keeping the fridge at work stocked with a big thing of iced coffee. Zero headaches or soda cravings, because I'm still getting the caffeine. In fact, I had a soda yesterday just because I don't have coffee at home, and it gave me a terrible upset stomach.