Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Top Dog

Default Quiddich Stinks.

Literally. No matter what I do, Quiddiot has a very strong 'doggy' smell to him. At first I just thought that it was from lousy shelter food, but it's been 7 weeks, and he still smells bad.

He's been bathed, and it's not really a dirty smell, just very doggy. It was very noticable in the back room at my parents house after we stayed there for a few days.

Maybe I'm just spoiled with Gambit, because he never seems to smell, but it's really gross. Any suggestions?

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Sit! Good dog.

No, but I'm interested.

Fred smells.

I guessed it was just a boy thing, Bodhi never smells.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Glutton for Crazy

He's a pei and hound mix, right? Try cleaning his folds? Try another shampoo? Talk to a groomer and see if they have tips?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Big Dog

Hounds always seem to have a very doggy smell to them for some reason. It could just be that's his scent unless he has some kind of food/skin allergy issue going on.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Top Dog

Working at a dog park, we found out this year after testing our soil, that it was very acidic and was causing dogs to smell bad if they were wet and rolled on the dirt out here; the dogs that didn't roll smelled fine.

So does he roll? lol May be something to it. Definitely not a boy thing, all of mine smell normal!

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 05-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Top Dog

No idea. The Dobermans stink too. In their case, it probably is because they do have a skin condition, but I don't know... I kind of think mine just stink regardless. Doesn't matter what they eat or what supplements they get either.

Somebody suggested that I spray them with diluted vinegar (white or ACV). It didn't work for me, but may be worth a try?

I feel for you though. It sucks having a stinky dog. I used to take pride in the fact that my house never smelled like dog. Pretty sure it does now, thanks to Keira (especially) and Ripley.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 05-14-2013, 06:20 PM
Top Dog

I always liked to use an antibacterial shampoo like the Rx shampoo Malaseb for oddly stinky dogs. I think Synergy Labs makes an OTC antibacterial shampoo.

Also making sure the dog isn't eating too much sugar (or on a low glycemic diet), perhaps it's a yeast thing (yeast feed off sugars).

Old 05-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

Not sure what you're feeding, but I've found that feeding raw helps. I can start to smell my dog after she's been eating kibble for a while...or too many processed treats even. No smell at all from raw...well, except when she's been chewing on a bone that's kind of, er, ripe. Eww.

I'd definitely inspect diet first...maybe too much processed food, too much sugar like was mentioned, or even a protein source that doesn't quite agree with him. Maybe try a probiotic?

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking