Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-10-2013, 06:13 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

I want to own a few breeds ... But it seems as though given my personality & whatever ... I am born to own eithe ACDs or rescue/shelter mystery mutts

Old 05-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
This too! I totally get when someone has a dog that they currently can't really do anything they want to do with (i.e. you got a dog that just... didn't match you at all, still love it very much, but want a dog capable of doing what you desire). But for me? I just tell myself how lucky I am... Jackson is basically everything I could ever want in a dog. He's an amazing dog to try anything and everything with from agility to dock diving to just hiking or traveling around with me. He's really a great all around dog for me. WHY do I NEED another? lol... I have to tell myself this, because I definitely fantasize about what breed I'm going to have next, etc, but I'm currently just trying to take advantage of my situation, it's very "easy" with Jackson because he's my "go to" dog. I obsessed about a second breed/dog for a long time and I'm kinda chill about it now, because I'm so content at the moment and am scared to rock the boat.

I know we've had convos about this before and in some ways, Trent & Jackson remind me of each other, and me and you, lol, similar ages etc, so I totally understand where you're coming from!!
Definitely! It's pretty cool being "forum twins"
Old 05-10-2013, 07:04 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Funny you mention that Lauren... Right after I posted this thread I took Joey and Cricket to the dog park for a bit and had a blast.

A lot of this is just me thinking out loud. Like I said... It may not be for another 2-3 more years.... It may not be for ten more years honestly.... It really depends where we are at, finances, time, etc. So many factors would have to come into play before future dog could ever be a real possibility so no worries... Not coming home with a puppy anytime soon.

Oh and Fran... I mentioned this in a thread a while back ago, but it's just the dogs and cat for now. I gave the rats to one of my friends because Cricket was having issues with prey drive kicking in and was obsessing over them constantly. We didn't have a big enough place to separate them and keep them in a room where Cricket couldn't get to them so I gave them to a friend of mine who has an amazingly nice setup for them in a critternation. They also have three other sisters and all get along fabulously. I still visit them and miss little Holly the most, but I did what I felt was best for their safety.

When we were supposed to move I don't know if you remember that the day before we were supposed to move the new landlord had a meltdown on Josh and started yelling and throwing stuff? She has bipolar and had been off her meds for a while. Well, we had to find a different place asap since we had to be out the next day. The only option available to us said no to the snakes even though my tanks locked so my old neighbor has them. I may end up getting Serkan back when we move into our own place, but my old neighbor has really taken to Aneira so she is staying with him indefinitely. I really miss having snakes though, but right now I'm not adding any more to my plate.
Not Named- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 05-10-2013, 07:08 PM
I'm All Ears

One thing to remember too is if you don't have 'your kind of dog' right now... Sometimes dogs can surprise you. Summer has become more and more what I like the more I work with her. Mia too. The more i work with her, the less fearful she is. A 9 year old papillon... Not exactly the best sports prospect but she surprises me all the time. I may get a more 'my kind of dog' next, but I only have now to experience Summer. Sadly realizing uses not going to live forever.

Yeah I was the one saying that the best dog is the one you have. It's something I've had to learn and realize.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I know it's hard to not think about but with trying for a child, with Bamms issues, with your other pets (rats, snakes, cat etc..), the other dogs, it's a busy household! lol with lots of factors that could change (living situation, family, etc..)
IMO when the time is right, the right breed and right litter will work itself out. There is no way to plan that far ahead for these things I'm afraid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Wise words from those above. Of course it is fun to think ahead, but we wind up missing so much of what we already have if it becomes a habit.
Words of wisdom right here.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 05-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
One thing to remember too is if you don't have 'your kind of dog' right now... Sometimes dogs can surprise you. Summer has become more and more what I like the more I work with her. Mia too. The more i work with her, the less fearful she is. A 9 year old papillon... Not exactly the best sports prospect but she surprises me all the time. I may get a more 'my kind of dog' next, but I only have now to experience Summer. Sadly realizing uses not going to live forever.

Yeah I was the one saying that the best dog is the one you have. It's something I've had to learn and realize.
Oh I definitely have my kind of dog right now. Hope I didn't come across as not feeling that way.

Cricket is pretty much perfect in my eyes and we are working towards a lot right now. In fact this weekend we are meeting up with Jacksonsmom to do some dock diving practice. We also are working on disc and I'm learning the signs for rally/OB etc so we can do that as well.

Heck even Joey is what I wanted. He is a total derp, but as long as his PAL/ILP works out I'm going to be lure coursing him which is the biggest thing I want to do with him. We are also currently doing tracking classes with him.

Bamm I mainly do trick training with, but he is going to be starting nosework soon.

I definitely keep busy with the dogs I have now and each of them are the right dog for me in their own way.

I don't see any harm in thinking about future dog though. It's something I think about sometimes, but it definitely doesn't consume my thought process and it definitely doesn't keep me from enjoying the dogs I have right in front of me.
Not Named- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 05-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Ahh, Nextdog. That word is pretty much constantly in my head. I'm sure everyone knows that my next dog is an ACD. My breeder is picked out, and I've been on a breeding list for a litter next year for about 4 months now. Anddd. I backed out today.

There are just too many things going on right now that I need to figure out before next puppy comes along. Pretty much, I want to go to school. And I may have to move away to go to school. Going for your bachelors, and having a dog, plus a puppy, plus living away from DH = would not be easy. AT ALL. In addition, my favorite breeding pair was bred last year, and created just an AWESOME breeder pick, who if all goes well will be bred in two-three years. That would be my IDEAL dog. And, on top of that, I want to start Futurepuppy on cattle right away and with my resources right now, I just don't have the connections or my own to work him/her consistently. So, I decided to wait.

Sometimes, when you think you have it all figured out (and are Type A/ Plan, Plan, Plan to the brim), you don't. There was a short while when I first joined Chaz where I was just obsessed with Koolies. However, their herding style just didn't fit what I was looking for. I know it sounds silly that something like herding style would turn me away, but it does. I may still own a Koolie someday after I've met a few, but right now I'm hooked on the Cattle Dogs. And so far, they have lived up to everything I ever could have imagined.

Just take life as it comes, and go from there. You will know when the time is right.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 05-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Water Junkie

I guess I just don't really understand how one can go from making a thread about potentially having to give up one's current beloved dog, to making a thread the next day thinking about future dogs. I couldn't imagine *thinking* about giving up Blaze or Lizzie, then in the next breath thinking about getting another dog.

I guess each to there own, though.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 05-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
There are just too many things going on right now that I need to figure out before next puppy comes along. Pretty much, I want to go to school. And I may have to move away to go to school. Going for your bachelors, and having a dog, plus a puppy, plus living away from DH = would not be easy. AT ALL. In addition, my favorite breeding pair was bred last year, and created just an AWESOME breeder pick, who if all goes well will be bred in two-three years. That would be my IDEAL dog. And, on top of that, I want to start Futurepuppy on cattle right away and with my resources right now, I just don't have the connections or my own to work him/her consistently. So, I decided to wait.
So, you are going to move down to Arizona with me, share the house, go to university, bring Rider and Lucy, and share Lucy with me?

Old 05-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Puppy Dog

I know what my next dog is i just need to find the breeder, on a list for a in a litter 3 years down the line , but if i can find a good quality puppy sooner than that i will ALSO get that one. My next dog is going to be pure APBT, we will be doing shows and sports i am excited and can't wait.

Other dogs on my will own list

I want to own another Rottweiler again, my German Bitch Yashie, was my an amazing dog, and i want to have a rottie again when i can afford one.

I love terriers, when i move i will probably be getting a Jack Russell Terrier, because that's what my lover wants, and i love terriers and even though i would rather have a Patterdale or a Jagd Terrier, i can be happy with a jack russelll

Years and years down the road, i hope to own a Presa Canario..