Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Lord Cynical

I'm a notorious name-changer.

Ronin was Hugh. (name change @ 22 months)
Kaylee was Dee. (name change @ 12 months)
Jayne was Louie, and then Newt. (name change @ 11 months)

I won't re-use names though. I know some people who do... like their dog Bud dies, and the next dog they get is also named Bud.... I couldn't do that.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 05-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Top Dog

Gwen's name was Bunny at the shelter.....

I'm not having a DOG named Bunny.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Top Dog

I've never renamed a dog...my current two came as unnamed puppies and childhood dog was an adult whose name we kept.

Fosters: Tom was Tom at ACC, found as a stray, didnt know his name when I got him but I kept it anyway. His new owners renamed him Cudi without a problem.

Edna was Edna at ACC, then her temporary foster renamed her Coco, but I went back to Edna because it was on all the paperwork already. Her new owner kept Edna.

I'd have no qualms about changing a dog's name

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Top Dog

Murphy's name at the shelter was Sarge. Did not fit him at all so I changed it immediately (not that he knew it, or any other cue, anyway). He was fourish.

Tipper's name at her foster home was Daisy which fit her but I was so not a fan of. She was two when we got her and we changed it about two weeks later. She'll respond to pretty much anything though, as long as it's said in smoochy tone.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 05-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Top Dog

I think the only dog's name I really changed was Journey's. She was Nina. And it did suit her, or at least that's what I'd come to know her as, so it was weird to change it, but at the same time I just didn't like introducing my dog as 'Nina' in public. She was about 11 weeks old when I changed it, and she'd actually seemed to know her prior name before I changed it. But it took her no time at all to catch onto 'Journey'.

Dance was from a laundry call name themed litter (cause her dam is "Bounce") and was 'Snuggle' at her breeder's house. But I don't really consider that a real name change because she didn't respond to Snuggle at all. Not that I really tried haha. No way was I keeping that name. And she wasn't even snuggly (still isn't). So, Dance she became. It's unique and different and suits her perfectly.

Dance and Journey also respond to a few other names. Journey is mostly: Bean, Jelly Bean, Journey-Bean or just Journ. Dance is Dance-a-roo or Roo most of the time. Both dogs respond to their nicknames just as well as they do their real names.

Ripley and Keira never had names prior, and I don't think any of our past dogs did either. We kept the names our few rescues came with. It was just easier.

But yeah, a name is just another cue word to a dog. It's not like it means the same to them as a name does to us, so I don't have a problem changing names as far as that goes. My problem with changing names is that I get used to a certain name and have a hard time calling the dog something else after I'm used to their current name.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 05-09-2013, 12:51 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
Gwen's name was Bunny at the shelter.....

I'm not having a DOG named Bunny.
Lol we had a dog at work named Kitty. Annoying as heck because we had cats there as well... someone would say go get kitty and I didn't know if they meant the dog or the cat lol.

Juno was named Diva at the breeder, don't really count that though since I don't think she knew what it was lol.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Kota was Dakota from the sheltie rescue, which isn't a huge change - but who knows what his name was before that since he was found roaming the streets.

We called Georgie "Rockette" for a few days until we decided we just didn't like it.

Payton was "Willie" before he came to me. I think they had been calling him that for a few weeks. And then he was just "Puppy" with me for like two weeks (poor guy, hahaha.)

I sort of wish I could change Pepper's name, I don't think it really suits her, but I have no idea what I would change it to anyway.

All of mine respond to a nickname or two and they know it's "their" nickname. Georgie comes running to girly. Payton is often just P and frequently goose (as in silly goose.) Auggie is Augs, poopy, boopy, all kinds of things, and even responds to poop face.
Pepper will respond to ANYTHING even if it's not her name... I call Auggie and here's Pepper. I call Payton and here's Pepper. I yell something to my mom and HERE'S PEPPER. Sigh.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Big Dog

Punkin was "Pooch" when I got her. That one had to go.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Not a Border Collie

I haven't changed a dog's name yet, but I have no qualms about changing names. Quinn's litter name was "Amy" (Doctor Who themed litter) and while it actually did suit her and I'd known her as Amy for 8 weeks, I know too many people named Amy and she didn't really recognized it. She was "Puppy" for a week before I finally settled on Quinn. I was wild about the name but didn't think it suited her much, but it was getting to the point where she needed to be called SOMETHING and I didn't have any other names I liked as much. Luckily she's grown into the name and I think it suits her quite well now.

My Quarter Horse mare came with the name Leni, which I promptly changed to Lani (a favorite name of mine, anyways, that just happened to be very close sounding). I was also very close to changing my other mare's name - her breeders named her Lizzy, which I didn't like. While thinking of other possibilities, I began thinking of strong female protagonists, and Elizabeth Bennet was the first that came to mind. So I decided that it was meant to be and I kept her name Lizzy.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 05-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Top Dog

I changed Diesels name, it was Buddy, which well eww, and I had a dog as a child named buddy, he was 14 months old.