Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-09-2013, 03:05 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Our dogs are rarely addressed by their names anyway especially bodhi. I usually call her Tronic at the moment LOL.

Bodhi to boogie to boogatron to boogatronic to tronic. We tend to call her boogie a lot too...

Fred is often Fred. Occasionally Freddie and quite often Frederick when he's naughty we also call him big boy and brown dog, or brown baby lol.

They respond to all

I don't think I'd have issue changing a name, but I probably wouldn't unless I really hated it.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-09-2013, 04:50 AM
Top Dog

Both of mine got their names changed, although to be fair, I don't think either really knew their original name.

Meg was named Spice. Since she was an owner surrender, I assume it was actually her name, not given at the rescue. She also had never been inside a house, and I doubt anyone was talking to her and teaching her the name. She didn't even look up when you called it.

Gusto didn't really have time to learn a name. The rescue called him Gonzo, the foster home (where he spent the most time before I got him) just called him Puppy. He didn't get named for probably close to a week once I got hm. He was just Puppy or Pup-Pup.

Really, a name is just another cue to a dog. I don't think changing it matters, although it would feel very weird to me once I'd had a dog a while.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:28 AM
I'm All Ears

Mia was Gayla. I got her at 14 weeks and hated the name. Plus the only short form I could think of was 'Gay' and er.... So it was changed.

Summer was Summer when I got her. I kept the name even though I have a cousin I see pretty often/am close with named Summer too. Summer was almost 4 when I got her and I'd known her since she was 3 months old. It would have been weird to change her name. Plus it fits her so well.

Nard was originally 'Sharpie' in his litter because as a pup his blaze was almost a mismark so we said he'd have to have it colored in with Sharpie. Then it got changed to 'Bernard' when he got a little older because he was such a FAT puppy (which is hilarious because we can't put weight on him now) and his ears stayed dropped a lot longer than the others. So we thought he looked like a Saint Bernard. He gets called Nard most the time now though.

Rose was 2 years old and named Rose when we got her. It fit very well, but I had already had a sheltie named Rosie. We decided it was okay and kept Rose because really... there is no dog more suited to the name Rose than Rose is.

The one I really wish we'd renamed (and the entire family did too) was Trey. It wasn't a bad name but it just never really fit him at all. He needed to be named something dopey like Buddy. He got called Buddy probably as often as Trey.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:46 AM
Top Dog

I think I've had to change the name of every dog that's come through. Some weren't bad names, but they just didn't fit. The breakdown goes as follows
Argon: was Fred
Gambit: was Jonathan
Quiddich:was Quanda
Otter Wee Boots: was weenie
Fawn: was Joy
Shiva:was Cinderella
Cheshire : was Precious
Dick Cheney: was Chunky Monkey

They were all between 10 weeks and 5 years when renamed and they all adapted wonderfully

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:22 AM
love herds

Radar was originally Oscar
Duke was originally Dwayne (ugh, hate that name!)
No problems at all changing their names.

"A dog of uncanny brain and great loving loyal heart and with a dancing sense of fun, a dog with a soul."- Albert Payson Terhune (lad)
Old 05-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
My foster Dixie has found herself a new home.

I know Cody became Crossbone, I assume without issue as well!

Opinions? Would you change a dog's name if it had one previously?
Yay for Dixie!!! Err...Dani!!!

Crossbone was Scooter, Cody, Gator, Cody then Crossbone!! No issues at all and he picked it up reeeeally fast. We still call him Cody in public sometimes and lots if variations of Crossbone and he seems to like it.

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador
Old 05-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Top Dog

I don't think it matters. Elsie was Harriet until she was eight weeks old, and the transition was seamless, and now responds to her billion nicknames just as well as she does to Elsie.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:30 AM
Love My Mutt <3

I've done it for the ferrets without issue, and wouldn't have second thoughts on changing a dogs name

Renegade was Gridd - changed at (almost) 3 years old
Rogue was Nyx - changed at (almost) 5 years old
Ella was Bella - changed at 7/8 months
Nacho was Marley - changed around 5 1/2 years old
Rascal and Harley both kept their names!

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Top Dog

Boo was Lucy Lu - yeah that had to change.

I don't see an issue with it. Far far bigger things to worry about. I had a foster once named Stud Muffin... I don't blame the new owner one bit for changing that name.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 05-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Resident fainting goat

IMO Names don't carry the same identity/weight as they do with humans. To most dogs I think, their names just mean "come here" "food" "attention" "the people want me"
So new life almost always meant new name for dogs/pets in my life.

Merlin was Duke. Which suit him very much, especially after following the litter since birth and calling him that, but I think he is SUCH a Merlin now. and I like the name better so I changed it.