Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 05-09-2013, 08:52 AM
I'm All Ears

Thanks for all the replies and support. I am feeling better about my decision to just wait and see. I've been reading a lot of personal stories and seeing people freak out and do surgery right away that it made me feel like I wasn't doing enough. Mia's my little girl and I just want the best for her.

Her knees are odd. She definitely never limps or is lame. She is very agile and active. But by all counts since her knees are graded higher she should be limping some right? My vet had said he had seen some dogs that have knees riding out 24/7 that are fine. Mia's right knee is graded worse but sometimes it does seem like she barely favors her right knee. It is something you'd have to really be looking to see though.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I'd worry more about the elbows and their compensation, with age and arthritis.

Do her knees pop in and out with you hands on them? Can you hear it or feel it?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:57 AM
I'm All Ears

Yep you can feel them pop in and out if you manually luxate them.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Yep you can feel them pop in and out if you manually luxate them.
What my vet told me ten or eleven years ago when we discovered Hannahs was that some dogs learn how to step and twist to alleviate any discomfort and actually pop it back in themselves. I'm not sure how much validity that holds but watching Hannah sometimes she would do funny stretches, test the leg, and then walk off.

I'm no expert but either way Hannah lived a very active life with agility, hiking, playing, and swimming (plus being obese for a while thanks to my mom). She's still very limber and active approaching 13 this year so I would really say you're doing the right things with Mia. If I knew what I know now I would research special stretches and muscle building exercises to support the joint as well as use a joint supplement sooner (Hannah had nothing but a good food until she was about 11) but I highly doubt I would entertain surgery still.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm All Ears

That's kind of what my vet had said that some dogs just seem to compensate. Mia stretches her back legs occasionally but it is usually when she first gets up for the day or she's been sitting. Summer stretches by lowering her front and Mia stretches by leaning forward and stretching her back legs out like a cat. You can't hear them pop in and out though.

Her knees don't pop every time you move them but they do a lot of the time. The best way to describe it is that her rear just seems a bit loose. It is hard to tell a lot of the time because she moves like a tiny Aussie- bounce everywhere and her whole body wiggles when she's happy.

Anyways I am glad to hear some other positive stories. I definitely feel more comfortable with our decision.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:21 AM
Active Pup

Default Luxating patellas

When my dog was a pup her vet said she had luxating patellas as well. He told me that she could be walking along and suddenly stop and then begin to walk normal again.
I have never noticed this in my dog and she is maybe not as active as your dogs but she is not a couch potato either. She has excellent muscle tone as well.
I do however not allow her to jump on or off furniture. For this reason my dog is provided dogs stairs, for bed and for furniture. re: 7 pound Yorkie, 6 years old.
I think this is very important for the health of her knees and joints. I have not put her on joint supplement yet.

May I ask what sort of joint supplement that you use? Sooner or later I am going to have to start looking at this seriously so may as well start asking now.

I would not get surgery done on my girl. Not unless her quality of life was diminishing and she was still say under 10 years old. I think that to not have your dog undergo surgery for this matter is a wise choice.

You are right about reading stuff on the internet. Be careful. I have done this in the past and got me in such a frenzy I couldn't sleep worrying about my dog.

When in doubt ask your faithful forum members/followers, other dog owners and of course a range of vets.