Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Default Question about biking with dogs

So I need to get Joey into coursing shape and work on building up his speed and endurance more. I tried running with him the other day and my running his a fast jog for him and I was out of breath before he even got a chance to warm up.

So... I think I might take up biking with him to condition him.

What kind of bikes would you recommend for comfort and easy biking with a dog? I know some bikes have straight handles and others the hand curves under? I know how to ride a bicycle, but I don't really know much about them and what to look for. I also can't afford a new one right now so I'm browsing craigslist for used ones. How do you know what's the right size bike for you? I keep seeing... 14 inch, 17 inch, yada yada. Do you measure somewhere on your body to see what bike you would fit or is it best just to get on the bike and see if it works for you?

Do you leash your dog to the bike or just hold the leash in your hand? I'm planning to start off slow to get him used to even being around me when I'm biking because I'm worried about him cutting in front of the bike.

I'm planning to bike on as many dirt trails as I can find, but we may have to at least do some jogging on pavement at times. I was thinking about getting Joey some booties for when we have to be on pavement... any advice on booties and brands? He has hare type feet with long toes so I'd have to find something that fits his feet properly.

Any other advice for someone starting out on biking with their dog? The main goal of this is first and foremost exercise, but also to work on building up his endurance. When he is practicing lure coursing he starts off fast, but slows down and tires out pretty quickly right now.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 05-08-2013, 12:23 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I have a full suspension mountain bike and I *LOVE* that stupid thing. It's an older Trek model, but worth every penny I spent on it.

Other than saying full suspension is much more comfortable, my advice would be google reviews on bikes you are interested in. That will give you an idea of the bike even being worth it.

Also, don't tie him to the handlebars. If you want him tied to the bike, buy a walkydog. Otherwise, I'd hold it loose so you can let go if you need to.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Top Dog

I have a pretty standard cheap mountain bike, here we need the rugged tires, and I just went to the store and found one that fit me, s. have no idea what size it is, sorry I'm of no help there.

BUT! Lol, for the other part I use a Walky Dog, I love this thing, it comes with the attachment for around the bike seat for big dogs. http://www.amazon.ca/Petego-Walky-Ha.../dp/B003OYIAW4

There is also a low rider attachment for small dogs as well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walky-Dog-Lo...item2ec6038498

And you just disconnect the arm and move it to the other attachment if you have different size dogs. If you have more then one bike you can also buy extra seat attachments so you can move it from bike to bike easily!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:59 PM
The Littlest Hound

another vote for mtn bike, here. i have a specialized myka and i loooove it. granted, once i get to the desert i usually let rage off her leash, but she's adapted to running with it really well and she hasn't pulled me off yet (that would end our biking partnership, i am terrified of falling.)

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 05-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

I have a fancy rocky mountain bike, it was worth the money we spent on it, love that stupid bike. I would suggest a mountain bike. Any amount of suspension will make a word of difference. I just started riding with Teagan and I hold her leash in my hand. One of the first things I did with Teagan was Teach her how to stay on one side. I make her stay on the outside from the road. I even took her to some back country roads Off leash and she ran nice beside the bike, but I taught her how to stay on the one side, even off leash. Thankfully she listens very well to directions. And picked it up really fast.

We ride on both pavement and dirt roads, her feet seem to be doing fine. I am doubtful I will even buy boots for her.

with regarding to sizing what we did was go into a bike shop, pretend we are looking to buy a bike from them. Try out lots of sizes and see what fits. Ride them around a little bit, see what you like and don't like. My bike is a small frame, and where I like my seat my feet are just touching the ground a little bit. I don't like changing my seat height all the time for if we are going up or down hills so I keep it always at the higher level. I plan an eventually getting one of those fancy automatic seat lifters.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 05-08-2013, 01:24 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Oh and for the feet, you can use musher's secret. Ruffwear boots get good reviews, but I don't know about fit on joey's feet.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Let it be

Mountain bike all the way!I always kept the dogs to the side because I made the mistake of tying them to my bike... ugh I went head over heels right off a cliff when they decided to run after something. No amount of hollering g ot my bad boys to stop. Bandit naturally picked up on staying out of the way of the tire.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I have no idea honestly! I've biked with Bodhi a few times and she just took to it naturally. However, there is NO way I'd entertain biking somewhere she would need to be on a lead. No matter what training a dog has I'd be paranoid they would pull me over, or go into the bike.

I bike on forest tracks, or paths for walking. Bodhi generally paces by me, and stops to sniff now and then, and catches up. I didn't train her to pace with the bike though, sorry lol.

When Fred is older, I'm going to try him, but I think that might be a different story lol
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Let it be

Bandit has always understood the general rules of offleash. Be it on foot or bike. It came engrained in him thank goodness.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Top Dog

I think the only bike that would suffice for biking with a dog on dirt trails would be a mountain bike. As far as measuring...I'd go to a bike store, try out a few in heights to see what you're comfortable with (most adjust slightly, I think), and then look for the size range you want on craigslist.

DON'T DO NOT DO NOT tie him to the bike (unless you've got a specialized attachment for a dog leash with quick release or whatever, but I think even those are sketchy). Hold the leash in your hand - the weird spiraley leashes that sort of extend and spring back work well for biking if you have any idea what I'm talking about.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com