Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-15-2013, 11:49 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

I had an Old dog that went deaf & was going blind, a similar incident happened. I am inherently clumsy & accidentally kicked the side of her bed on the way to the bathroom. It startled her & she reflexively snapped, luckily she just got my pajama pants leg & not my skin or flesh.

BUT she also didn't let to right away, due to her deafness & in ability to see well because she wasn't sure WHAT or WHO I was right away & it took her a while.

Perhaps Bamm was in the same situation when he was startled out of his sleep, he just took a while to "get his barings" That's also what I think a good behaviorist would be able to help with, if he is just low threshold or if he was just sleeping & took a while to realize where he was when startled awake & that's why he didn't let go right away.

I am anxious to see what the behaviorist has to say ... The fortunate thing is that Amber has a while to work on this before a child comes into the picture.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:44 AM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
I totally agree that Bamm has serious issues, an I applaud Amber for dealing with it for so long. She really needs to be commended for it. However, rehoming him has the potential to be more damaging to her family than even keeping him would be.

The feasible options are keep him or euth him. I wouldn't fault amber for either one. Tough decision? Absolutely. But as someone who has seen firsthand the legal issues... I cannot in good conscience recommend to Amber ( who I do consider a friend) to keep rehoming as an option
Can I just this 50 times?

Sorry to those who are on the "rehome him, everything could be okay!" side, but in this particular situation that's just absurd. He's a liability for Amber and for a rescue. If you haven't met either of them in person you can't even begin to understand how bonded he is to her. He would lose his **** without her. It was love at first sight and neither of them ever fell out of it.

Re-homing is not always a good option. Like I've said before, although apparently most of the forum disagrees, death is almost never the worst option. If I were Bamm my choice would be to be PTS. I couldn't live like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
I'd be curious to know Amber's boss's background.
As far as I know she is board certified. But her boss, as she and I discussed, is NOT the person to evaluate Bamm. She already has her own opinion about him. Amber is going to get someone new who knows NOTHING about the situation to come observe, without telling her which dog is the issue, and let her figure it out without any bias. I think another set of eyes who is coming in blind will be a huge help.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Just popping in to say sorry I haven't responded yet. Yesterday was my day off, but I found out one of my friends was visiting the state from Edmond, OK so I ended up driving two hours to go see her. Was gone all day and literally passed out when I got home. I have to work all day and have class with Cricket tonight and have to also work the next two days so I will try to respond soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Can I just this 50 times?

Sorry to those who are on the "rehome him, everything could be okay!" side, but in this particular situation that's just absurd. He's a liability for Amber and for a rescue. If you haven't met either of them in person you can't even begin to understand how bonded he is to her. He would lose his **** without her. It was love at first sight and neither of them ever fell out of it.

Re-homing is not always a good option. Like I've said before, although apparently most of the forum disagrees, death is almost never the worst option. If I were Bamm my choice would be to be PTS. I couldn't live like that.

As far as I know she is board certified. But her boss, as she and I discussed, is NOT the person to evaluate Bamm. She already has her own opinion about him. Amber is going to get someone new who knows NOTHING about the situation to come observe, without telling her which dog is the issue, and let her figure it out without any bias. I think another set of eyes who is coming in blind will be a huge help.
Thank you Nolu. I appreciate you posting especially since you actually know Bamm on a little more of a personal level. I do go back and forth on whether there is a way to efficiently rehome him, but I really think that would be hard on both of us though it's moreso him that I would be worried about. He is extremely bonded to me and I do worry that uprooting him from everything he knows and putting him an entirely new situation could potentially be even more damaging.

On the topic of my boss. I am not going to have her work with him. She has evaluated him before for me, but I prefer to take him to someone who doesn't already have any preconceived notions about him. That isn't to say I don't think she is good with dogs and dog behavior. My boss is truly good at what she does. I won't publicly post all her schooling, certifications etc just because I don't know how she would feel being brought into depth of this discussion and this is my job we're talking about. Not only that, I do consider my boss a friend. All I will say is she is board certified and has a TON of experience in this field on top of other certs and experience doing behavioral work with other species as well as dogs. Animal behavior is her thing though she sticks with just dogs now and has been soley working with only dogs for a long while.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 05-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

ugh. sorry I still haven't posted the stuff about Bamm Adrianne. I'm really slacking with that. Been so busy with working, training classes and my last two days off I've been ridiculously busy.

I did get some prices from my vet today though so I can start getting a medical work up done on him. My vet recommended a few DVM behaviorists as well so I'm going to contact them soon. I want to save up to get that majority of the medical workup done at the same time since they charge an extra $50 exam fee per visit. They only quoted me $25 for the neurological exam part. I'm sure that doesn't include if they end up needing to do a brain scan of any sort.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 05-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Top Dog

A brain scan will run you, no joke, close to $30,000. At least that's the cost I've been quoted, but idk if that's strictly for an MRI or included the entire process of diagnosing a medical cause

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-22-2013, 04:17 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
A brain scan will run you, no joke, close to $30,000. At least that's the cost I've been quoted, but idk if that's strictly for an MRI or included the entire process of diagnosing a medical cause
An MRI is expensive, but they aren't nearly that much!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:31 PM
such sights to show you

Holy christ a CT or MRI would be expensive around here, in the $800-1500 range, but not $30,000!

Old 05-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Behavior Nerd

Yea, iirc I've heard that MRIs run in the $3-5k range. Not really doable for most folks, still, though.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Did you add a zero? lol
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Vizsla mom

30k?! Oh man ..my puppy insurance won't even cover that ahah if Penn ever needs any of this stuff, I'm going to have to sell of the boyfriend