Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-14-2013, 10:03 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Amber... You do what you feel is necessary when the time comes. YOU know Bamm and we are all just going by what you post. NONE of us are experts in your dog.

I have had dogs and been around dogs my whole life and never been truly bitten... EVER.... but that is not a method to diagnose your dog.

If Beezer or Belle bit Hannah... they are gone and I really don't care what anyone has to say about that. they aren't liable for my daughters well being... I am. That being said she is not interested in the dogs. She doesn't mess with them and has never been allowed to mistreat them IE: crawl on them, pull their ears/tails, etc. She just doesn't do it and never has. BUT I also fully admit I a NOT the home for them if they decide that simple movements are reason to strike. I am not behaviourist dog owner who can handle everything.

Belle could probably be reliably rehomed and be happy and stable... although I certainly don't expect a bite from her ever. Beezer... there are factors. I dont' expect a bite from him either but if he ever became unpredictable TO ME (as NON super human dog owner)... he couldn't handle a rehoming again. He also couldn't handle a life of being banished to another room or crate. I would euth him as it would be best for him.

Death is not always the worst case scenario.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 05-14-2013, 11:25 PM
Big Dog

Don't have anything to add, as I'm sure it's been covered. Just wanted to wish you lots of luck and a bit of support. I have PCOS too, and it is very difficult. If you haven't all ready, look into Metformin [it can actually increase fertility and is used to help treat PCOS].

Anyhow, know this is a bit off topic but just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Good luck with everything, including Bamm...really hope it works out.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Yes, generally speaking ... People who work with horses are as a whole tougher then the average person . Not claiming to onow for sure lf course ... But I am sure just like every person is different, not all pregnancies or birthing/ post birth experiences are created equal either.
Really? lol

I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, regardless of what everyone else says. I'm going to make sure I don't see your posts from now on, but just a piece of advice: people would probably take you more seriously if you worked on your "soft" skills.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:37 AM
such sights to show you

I know people who were basically back to normal a few days after having a baby, and people who were essentially debilitated for awhile afterwards. I don't think anyone really knows what their experience is going to be like until it happens, so I think it's probably best to plan for the worst and hope for the best. Since it very well could be a factor coming home.

And just to be clear, I'm not trying to say "oh everything will be fine la la la"... I just think things could be ok even with past bites and that the past incidents need to be analyzed and understood before deciding that the sky is falling. Maybe things will be fine and maybe they won't, but at this point it's really all just speculation.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:45 AM
Sit! Good dog.

I wonder what amber thinks about this thread
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-15-2013, 08:50 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
I could read him like a book, but a lot of people don't have that ability.

He needs to be evaluated by a professional, preferably a board certified behaviorist.
Being able to read the dog is definitely a key factor, and I know Amber's said she can't reliable read Bamm.

I'm not sure what the behaviorist that's evaluated Bamm's credentials are like...I guess I make the assumption when someone says "he saw a behaviorist" or "my boss is a behaviorist" that they have a master's degree in ethology at the least, and if they work as a behaviorist for a living, ARE board certified. But I guess plenty of people (illegally) refer to themselves as a behaviorist when doing business, even without the education necessary for the title.

I'd be curious to know Amber's boss's background.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I wonder what amber thinks about this thread
She posted a few pages back, she is formulating a response with an outline of Bamms bites/experiences to see if it helps her find triggers and patterns. She's been working and trialing plus it's a hard post to write, I'm sure, so it may take some time.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:54 AM
such sights to show you

Well regardless of their credentials I wouldn't take a person seriously if they told me my dog "had a screw loose."

When I say behaviorist, I mean ideally a competent board certified veterinary behaviorist. Depending on the individual I would also trust a veterinarian with training and experience in behavior (there is one locally I trust very much even though she is not board certified). There are a few trainers locally I would trust but wouldn't actually call them behaviorists.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Being able to read the dog is definitely a key factor, and I know Amber's said she can't reliable read Bamm.
Because she can't read him now does not mean she will never be able to.

Further, behaviorists are not all created equally, just like anything. If this one has a bias against this dog, no matter the quality of their work elsewhere, I would seek a second opinion.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Top Dog

I just went back and re-read the scenario where Bamm reacted to Josh. You say he was laying down - is it possible he was sleeping? It sounds quite a bit like he may have been startled in his sleep, and got defensive, and could have been too disoriented to realize who Josh was/what was going on.

Milo does something similar (not like he has any kind of trustworthy record of non-aggression)...but he can be totally fine if someone is coming in and out of the room or house, but after he falls asleep, if someone opens or shuts a door or goes up or down stairs or enters the room, he'll jump up barking and growling and go at them, until he realizes who it is, then he's perfectly fine.

He doesn't often fall asleep in the common spaces - usually only in the bedrooms, but if he does need to be woken up, we have to do so really gently or from a bit of a distance.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com