Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

I also often wonder how often people themselves have witnessed others on assistance get into a new car/hear about bragging to others/ etc.

While I know that the system isn't perfect and there are people who abuse it.... A lot of these statements seem soooo generalized and exaggerated.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Top Dog

I honestly have never paid attention to what method other people are paying with at stores

are there people who abuse the system? Sure. But that's true of pretty much everything. There are always going to be people who take advantage, no matter what source you're talking about. But, I still think that having the assistance available for those who DO need help is much more important than getting indignant about how I'm "paying their way". Because I don't think of it that way *shrug*
Old 05-16-2013, 03:35 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I also often wonder how often people themselves have witnessed others on assistance get into a new car/hear about bragging to others/ etc.

While I know that the system isn't perfect and there are people who abuse it.... A lot of these statements seem soooo generalized and exaggerated.
Not talking about this thread instance, I think it happens a lot more than people think. Then again, I live in a neighbourhood where 95% are on assistance, and probably 85% of those are abusing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
I honestly have never paid attention to what method other people are paying with at stores
Yah, me neither.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-16-2013, 03:36 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Some folks are ... Uh ... More obvious about it then others, I normally don't notice what people do in the checkout in front of me either ... Unless they make a point to be noticed.

State aid is a great concept, it just needs more tweaking & now they have this government issued cell phone thing ... Huh? The last time unchecked a cell phone wasn't a necessity
Old 05-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post

IDK, I've known a few people with questionable welfare habits. A coworker once offered to buy me lunch with his foodstamps. I have known a couple of people personally who were on assistance while they owned horses. I cleaned houses with a women who was having her trailer remodeled while getting a welfare check. We talked for weeks about the remodeling and new furniture and then she mentioned off hand that she'd gotten her welfare check a few days before.

This is not generalized or exaggerated, they are things that I witnessed first hand. It should be noted that with the exception of the woman I cleaned with (I haven't been in contact with her for years) all of the above mentioned people are no longer on assistance.

I have been behind one gentleman in line at the gas station when he loudly announced to the clerk that he wanted a carton of cigarettes and the rest on his purchases on his EBT card (Indiana's food stamp card). Kind if hard not to notice that...

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Top Dog

It's just my opinion.

I don't feel babies should be brought into a world of uncertainty. This baby may not have a roof over his head when he gets here. Babies are expensive, diapers, binkies, clothes etc. expensive. But if you count on hand outs, I guess it wouldn't be that expensive. I have never counted on handouts, I was raised that if you own something that requires care or choose to have a child then you WORK and make it happen. Sure, use benefits if you absolutely need too, but try it without them first. I know lots of people on assistance but they don't have DSLR cameras and I pads or computers, they sold those things trying to make it.

It may not be a popular opinion but it is mine. Take it as I am picking on her, whatever.

Me, I'd be out looking for a second job instead of on the computer talking about what kind of assistance I can get.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
After a long talk with D, we have decided that Ryland will stay with me, no matter where I am or where we are. Both of his roommates are moving out at the end of June and he may either move in with a different friend, or get a place with me temporarily. That's still up in the air. I found and still have to contact a local low income housing area, where a two bedroom is supposedly around $400. If I could get that, it would be absolutely perfect.

I'm still stressing about how I am going to afford full time child care, but MM, yes, I do have a case worker through Medicaid. I plan on speaking to her today about what I can do and I also have an appt tomorrow at the local WIC and aid services office and I will ask them for referrals as well. I plan to apply for housing assistance, but I have already been told that the waiting list for that is at least a year. There are also a few programs I have to wait until Ryland is here to actually apply for.

I am hoping child support will help, but I am not counting on nor expecting to receive that.

So... Medicaid, Food Stamps, WIC.. I have all of those. Going to ask about other programs... Biggest worry right now is childcare. I am tempted to ask my parents if they would want to contribute to that... But I've seen the average daycare is $150 a week. That's so much...

I've also already gotten ugly comments about being on state aid and a nasty look when I slid my food stamps card at the register the other day. Great. /:
You guys should have a local chapter of United Way, I would check them out. We have a special phone number here, but I'm sure you could go onto their website and get contact info. Ours has organizations that provide free or low cost child care.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
I didn't want to bite into it either, but I'm just curious:

RedChrome - if you see someone using food stamps at the grocery store, and then they get into a new 2013 car...how do you know they haven't borrowed the car?

I'm never sure if I should hope people who hold those opinions about others on public assistance never have the (not unlikely) series of misfortunes or make the one or two small mistakes that lands most people in that situations, or if I should hope they do.
I don't know for sure about some. But some I overhear in the line talking about this new car and it's brand new etc. then they say, oh...this is on EBT and I'll pay cash for the beer.

I've been down and out, borrowed money from parents, paid them back, still digging myself out of student loan debt and other debt from being a dumb young person. I applied for food stamps once when I was super hard on my luck, I was told nope, you don't qualify. I had nothing. But that's ok, I dug myself out and got stuff together. I know hardships and I know I would never bring a baby into them.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Love My Mutt <3

What happened to the dogs?

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-16-2013, 08:54 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
I don't know for sure about some. But some I overhear in the line talking about this new car and it's brand new etc. then they say, oh...this is on EBT and I'll pay cash for the beer.

I've been down and out, borrowed money from parents, paid them back, still digging myself out of student loan debt and other debt from being a dumb young person. I applied for food stamps once when I was super hard on my luck, I was told nope, you don't qualify. I had nothing. But that's ok, I dug myself out and got stuff together. I know hardships and I know I would never bring a baby into them.
Those were my concerns too ... that she is bringing a kid into this world that she cant afford or take care of or is not prepared to take care of ... I just didnt want to say anything.