Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-21-2013, 11:27 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
I could see the whole being late part as grounds for firing ... But all that other stuff? I mean drinking Gatorade? That time you were I the hospital ??? WTF??? Is it even legal what this lady did??? I work at a racetrack & I have seen undocumented workers treated better then this bitch treated you, Barbara.

You are nicer then I am, I would have had a few choice parting words for her, **** it ... If I was gonna get fired (which I never have, I have either been laid off or left voluntarily for another better job) I would make it for a real reason.
Yeah, what she didn't wouldn't be legal here in WA. I wonder if she wasn't trying to get rid of you because you're pregnant, since somebody else was responsible for hiring you. It might be worth pursuing, except that you really don't need the added stress right now.

Since you have a social worker now though, you could ask them about it. They might know who to file a complaint with and then those people would investigate it. That might give you some closure anyway, and maybe they'll find something in your favor at the end of their investigation.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:30 PM
Top Dog

The gatorade thing wouldn't hold up here, but the lateness could. Most jobs (here anyway) have a probationary period where people can be fired for pretty much anything. But someone late three times in a few week period at the beginning of their hiring history would probably be let go at my job.

Hell, they recently fired a new person for not catching on quickly when they were having a newish person (who still gets confused daily..) train them

ETA that I am not saying it's right or wrong, or that some warning wouldn't have been nice
Old 05-21-2013, 11:38 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
The gatorade thing wouldn't hold up here, but the lateness could. Most jobs (here anyway) have a probationary period where people can be fired for pretty much anything. But someone late three times in a few week perI at the beginning of their hiring history would probably be let go at my job.

Hell, they recently fired a new person for not catching on quickly when they were having a newish person (who still gets confused daily..) train them

ETA that I am not saying it's right or wrong, or that some warning wouldn't have been nice
Yep, at least here, most jobs have a probationary period, lasting anywhere from a week to 3 months, where they can be fired for pretty well anything.

People see it as usually you are working/trying your hardest when you first start.. It's not until you've been there a while you start to "slack". They probably see it as if you are late multiple times right off the bat, it's a sign of things to come.

So I can sort of see their side, even though it sucks. I mean, nothing pisses me off more when somebody shows up late and can't be bothered to have the respect to call and let you know they'll be late (not saying you didn't, though!)

Definitely agree with the agencies. Go through them the ones I know of here, they apply forthe jobs for you that they have, while you apply eelsewhere. That may not be the case for all, though.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-22-2013, 01:51 AM
Top Dog

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, guys. I'll be doing job apps tonight and tomorrow.

Comic relief for the day: Josh's girlfriend is posting publicly about the babies she will have with Josh one day and their names and whatnot... When the first kid he isn't supporting isn't even here yet. Oh lawdy.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 05-22-2013, 06:30 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Yep, at least here, most jobs have a probationary period, lasting anywhere from a week to 3 months, where they can be fired for pretty well anything.

People see it as usually you are working/trying your hardest when you first start.. It's not until you've been there a while you start to "slack". They probably see it as if you are late multiple times right off the bat, it's a sign of things to come.

So I can sort of see their side, even though it sucks. I mean, nothing pisses me off more when somebody shows up late and can't be bothered to have the respect to call and let you know they'll be late (not saying you didn't, though!)

Definitely agree with the agencies. Go through them the ones I know of here, they apply forthe jobs for you that they have, while you apply eelsewhere. That may not be the case for all, though.
Oh yeah me too, here at the track, tardiness alone is grounds for imediate termination. No two weeks, nothing, just a "you no longer have a job" speech when you get there. I have seen it many times.

When I was first learning the ways of race horse husbandry, I made a lot of mistakes ... BUT I was NEVER EVER late & i am still here, so what does that say about the value of punctuality to employers? esp when you are hired to care for living creatures who cant take care of themselves.

Other guys with more experience came around after my first boss hired me & although he wasn't the best boss in the world (he was kind of an asshole) he kept me & in favor of hiring them simply because most of those guys had tendencies to be late.

if I was going to be late or had an emergency (like when I had an accident on my way to work one day & totaled my car) I ALWAYS called.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Top Dog

Good update:

I have a job interview tomorrow at a daycare! Yayayay

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 05-22-2013, 05:03 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Can employers actually get away with not hiring someone, even if they are qualified because they are pregnant?

Old 05-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Can employers actually get away with not hiring someone, even if they are qualified because they are pregnant?
Not legally. They're not even allowed to ask if you're pregnant before you get hired. But there's nothing stopping someone from doing it and giving any number of legal excuses as to why they weren't hired. Just like people have always discriminated against other groups of people, and when that became illegal hid behind, "Well we found another candidate who was more qualified!" Which is where affirmative action comes from.

Barbara good luck on your interview! Day cares can be really fun to work at.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:35 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Barbara I don't know where in the Dallas area you are, but if you are in the back org of the race track in Grand Prairie they might be looking for folks to work the wagering registers where people place their bets, or in consession.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Top Dog

I'm northwest DFW, in Denton.

I am sooooo excited and nervous about my interview. I reeeeally hope I get it.